• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Windows 7 FTW!

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
        That's been the case with every windows hasn't it? It's not hard to install a codec
        no that hasn't been the case, Windows media player has had DVD playback since Win95. And it's not about installing a codec either, it won't work unless you buy the upgrade, period.
        ZDNet's Ed Bott reports that DVD playback has been cut from its upcoming operating system as Microsoft tries to give consumers a reason to buy the more expensive Windows 8 Pro edition.

Windows 8 users who want out-of-the-box DVD playback capability will not only have to purchase the higher-priced Pro edition, but also the optional Media Center Pack. This is bad news for consumers because it means increased costs, more confusion, and the potential for more 'crapware' to be installed on new PCs.

Currently, Windows Media Player handles DVD playback. With Windows 8, Microsoft is removing this functionality from Windows Media Player and shifting it into the optional Media Center component.

This represents a big change in how Windows works, given that Windows Media Player has had DVD playback support since version 6.1, the version that shipped with Windows 95 and Windows 98.

and most PC's come with DVD software already installed.
        Thus the thread topic - crapware. New PC's with Windows 8 will surely have a bunch of crap pre-installed, most likely stuff you wont want. Thanks to something as simple and ancient as dvd playback.

Or if you're upgrading your existing PC to Windows 8 you wont have anything installed. Again, it's not difficult to download something like VLC player or whatever, but still it's the very point that you can't, by default, watch DVDs with Windows Media Player unless you BUY the upgrade.
        Last edited by ИATAS; 12-01-2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
          no that hasn't been the case, Windows media player has had DVD playback since Win95. And it's not about installing a codec either, it won't work unless you buy the upgrade, period.
          ZDNet's Ed Bott reports that DVD playback has been cut from its upcoming operating system as Microsoft tries to give consumers a reason to buy the more expensive Windows 8 Pro edition.

Windows 8 users who want out-of-the-box DVD playback capability will not only have to purchase the higher-priced Pro edition, but also the optional Media Center Pack. This is bad news for consumers because it means increased costs, more confusion, and the potential for more 'crapware' to be installed on new PCs.

Currently, Windows Media Player handles DVD playback. With Windows 8, Microsoft is removing this functionality from Windows Media Player and shifting it into the optional Media Center component.

This represents a big change in how Windows works, given that Windows Media Player has had DVD playback support since version 6.1, the version that shipped with Windows 95 and Windows 98.
          When i've done Xp and Vista clean installs in the past DVDs wouldn't play in WMP until i installed an Mpeg 2 codec.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
            When i've done Xp and Vista clean installs in the past DVDs wouldn't play in WMP until i installed an Mpeg 2 codec.
            never been the case for me and I've been installing windows operating systems for many years. at worst when u first open windows media player maybe it may have to do an automatic update to download all of the codecs but again, its not possible to do that with windows 8 you cannot simply install the codecs you must buy the upgrade.

Comment

Here i looked it up. I guess some versions of Vista (which I never installed before) didn't have DVD playback on a clean install, but all versions of Windows 7 did. But again even with Vista you could easily and quickly download the codecs when you first open Windows Media Player, as WMP will alert you it cannot play the file and offer to download the codec automatically.

Comment

Yeah, it sucks that it comes with extra **** people don't want but what's so hard about uninstalling it? I don't complain about stuff like this. If you're a computer lover, you'll have fun customizing the computer to your likes. BTW, I'm curious about W8. Still haven't tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
                  looks good

Comment

Originally posted by Sake1 View Post
                    Yeah, it sucks that it comes with extra **** people don't want but what's so hard about uninstalling it? I don't complain about stuff like this. If you're a computer lover, you'll have fun customizing the computer to your likes. BTW, I'm curious about W8. Still haven't tried it.
                    you'd be surprised at how many people don't know how to do basic stuff like remove programs. Also, you just don't know what some of this crapware leaves behind even after an uninstall.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
                      you'd be surprised at how many people don't know how to do basic stuff like remove programs. Also, you just don't know what some of this crapware leaves behind even after an uninstall.
                      I probably would. Even with how simple it is today to work a PC.

On a semi-related note: There's no technology section here right? A graphic design section maybe? Probably not.

Comment

Working...
                      X