Collapse
No announcement yet.

A look back at Joe Frazier

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ali carried Patterson, and not in a friendly way. Patterson was old and had a bad back and later commented that he wished Ali could have just knocked him out rather than continue to torture him. That fight was probably Ali at his meanest. He could have ended it whenever he wanted to but choose not to.

Comment

Not true ali even said after the fight that he tried to knock patterson out . Face ali didnt hit hard even an opponent of his said that ali wouldnt be able to crack an egg with his fist . I think it was doug jones who said that .

Comment

Originally posted by catskills23
        Its well known that frazier ducked big punchers throughout his carreer he ducked shavers , lyle and norton
        ducked norton

whatever...

how was he supposed to fight norton if they had the same trainer?

Comment

Originally posted by catskills23
          Not true ali even said after the fight that he tried to knock patterson out . Face ali didnt hit hard even an opponent of his said that ali wouldnt be able to crack an egg with his fist . I think it was doug jones who said that .
          bob foster said ali he couldn't bust a grape... and was stopped by ali anyway

Ali was not the biggest puncher, but he has glorious stoppage on his roster:

bonavena
          foreman

Comment

Originally posted by tommyhearns804
            Foreman's destruction of Frazier is the most awesome massacre of a great fighter that I ever saw. It was definitely no fluke or lucky punch. Nobody made Frazier back off, but Foreman did. No other heavyweight destroyed another great heavyweight like Foreman did Frazier. Foreman actually damaged Frazier's legacy.
            frazier, in that fight, looked like a small monkey went up against a large silverback gorilla

Comment

"Not true ali even said after the fight that he tried to knock patterson out . Face ali didnt hit hard even an opponent of his said that ali wouldnt be able to crack an egg with his fist . I think it was doug jones who said that ."

1. Ali did carry Patterson.

2. It was Foster and if Ali couldn't crack an egg then what does that say about Foster who was down several times in that fight.

3. Ali wasn't a huge puncher but he could hit significantly harder than say Byrd or Fres Oquendo. He certainly didn't "hit like a girl". He had average HW hitting power, which is still something you need to respect in a fight.

Comment

If ali carried patterson in that fight then why did he say after the fight that he tried his best to knock out patterson but he wouldnt fall he also couldnt knock out ken norton who had such a bad chin that he would be knocked over by a gust of wind .

Comment

Thank you for great article.

Comment

Ken Norton had a decent chin. It was more of a psychological weakness where he froze against big punchers like Foreman and Cooney. No one ever said that Ali had a big punch. He did however, have average hitting power.

I don't know where you're getting this notion that Ali tried to knock Patterson out and couldn't but it's just not accurate. He taunted and mocked Patterson, who suffered from a back injury and could barely put up a fight. Ali could have easily stopped him early.

Comment

i think some of you guys are missing the point that any guy over 200lbs can pack a fairly decent wallop, even chris byrd can pack a fairly decent punch when he puts something in it, i've seen some of his body shots and they are decent in terms of him wearing his opponent down

Comment

Working...
                      X