No announcement yet.

Mayweather-Guerrero to be for The RING WW title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather-Guerrero to be for The RING WW title

It was a very interesting fight week with stimulating discussions from the Ratings Panel, which resulted in movement in several divisions. The Panel’s input included their approval of the May 4 Floyd Mayweather-Roberto Guerrero welterweight fight being for the vacant RING 147-pound title.

The Editorial Board posed the question to the Panel since Mayweather is THE RING’s No. 1-rated welterweight and Guerrero is the magazine’s No. 3-rated contender. THE RING’s No. 2-rated 147 pounder, Juan Manuel Marquez, was defeated by Mayweather via lopsided unanimous decision in a 2009 welterweight bout.

A few Panel members noted that they believe Tim Bradley, who scored a controversial decision over Manny Pacquiao last June, should be rated above Guerrero, who has scored back-to-back decisions over strong young welterweights Selcuk Aydin and former titleholder Andre Berto in his last two bouts.

One Panel member did not like Mayweather fighting for THE RING title due to his general inactivity and the fact that he hasn’t fought at 147 pounds since his fourth round stoppage of Victor Ortiz in September of 2011.

However, most of the Panel members agreed that THE RING title should be on the line on May 4 and nobody objected to the notion.

http://rin gtv.craveonline.com/blog/177579-ring-ratings-update-mayweather-guerrero-for-ring-welterweight-title

i guess de la hoya's checks have cleared.

Comment

The panel = DLH

Comment

eh, who cares. its either vs. guerrero for the title or jmm. pick your poison. ppl wouldnt be pleased with either and jmm isnt gonna fight floyd again.

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
          i guess de la hoya's checks have cleared.
          Not much of an issue with me, Guerrero is the 3rd ranked WW, Marquez is the 2nd and Floyd already beat him handily at WW, albeit a CW. This isn't like Khan-Garcia, where it just felt forced.

Comment

Ring title doesn't mean **** anymore. Doesn't bother me

Comment

Worthless trinket these days.

Comment

Lmfao The Ring is shiet!!! they have broner at 5th p4p and guerrero at 10th so that f-lomos can hype the fight up.

Comment

When the Ring does something they don't like they use "DLH" owns the ring to try and discredit it. If it was really like that they would have dropped Pacquiao from the #1 spot after the Bradley fight like a lot of other sites did.

Comment

What's the alternative?

Comment

Working...
                    X