No announcement yet.

Is Tyson Fury in his prime yet?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
    When Fury fought McDermott he was playing at boxing. He didn't train , he ate fast food and sweets and was in depression to the point of not caring if he won or lost.

Since then he's dropped 30lbs, got in shape, started to care about the sport and has a trainer who has improved his skilkset, temprement and intelligence

The fury from McDermott fights would have been knocked out by Kevin Johnson. He would have gassed mid rounds and got stopped. Without a doubt.
    His mind wasn't in the right place as an athlete but don't make it sound like he was that depressed, he wouldn't have entered the ring if he was. Fury suffered a case of mis-identity in his early career. A 6ft9 in-fighter who didn't know what a jab was and just stood inside trading.

I don't know if it was the move to Steward that's helped him mature mentally or what but he's got a good foundation on which to build upon now. Just by adding the jab to his arsenal, understanding how to use his physical attributes and stamina is enough to take him to a certain level.

That's why I'm not satisfied with him, those additions alone can mask serious flaws.

Comment

I have actually been shocked by Peter fury, when I first heard fury was going with his uncle i was dreading it, but the man is intelligent, articulate, brutally honest and has brought tysons game on tremendously. I think he is an unknown talent among British boxing trainers, particularly love his emphasis on variety and all round game as opposed to typical bread and butter style British training

Comment

question is, why would one expect to be wholly satisfied by a fighter who has no right to be a finished article at this point of his career? i do not understand. first we hear that nothing has changed. then we get the admission that, yes, things have changed quite considerably, but still not enough for the pundit's liking. twenty-four-year-old, twenty-bout Tyson Fury should be a fully refined and polished product?
        Last edited by S. Saddler 1310; 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
          His mind wasn't in the right place as an athlete but don't make it sound like he was that depressed, he wouldn't have entered the ring if he was. Fury suffered a case of mis-identity in his early career. A 6ft9 in-fighter who didn't know what a jab was and just stood inside trading.

I don't know if it was the move to Steward that's helped him mature mentally or what but he's got a good foundation on which to build upon now. Just by adding the jab to his arsenal, understanding how to use his physical attributes and stamina is enough to take him to a certain level.

That's why I'm not satisfied with him, those additions alone can mask serious flaws.
          Lol he was depressed, his dad got banged up and his child was ill while he was still a kid himself. He comfort ate and balloon up to 270, of course he'd enter the ring depressed, he just wanted a punch up and some cash to keep the big macs coming.

Largely agree with the rest althoughiI think he's shown more than you state there

Comment

I have actually been shocked by Peter fury, when I first heard fury was going with his uncle i was dreading it
            understandable, given that he's Tyson's father's brother. it's no surprise that some would form negative assumptions.

but the man is intelligent, articulate, brutally honest and has brought tysons game on tremendously.
            yes, Peter is a fine man, knows his stuff and is one of these guys who never believes he has finished learning. i like him a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by S. Saddler 1310 View Post
              since Price began to emerge a bit more, it's become trendy among English boxing fans to puff him up and put Fury down. presumably, Englishmen feel more inclined to root for 'umble Pricey with his handsome physique and one-punch power than they do for the mouthy tinker with the baby-fat.

Fury is the better prospect of the two, though. time shall reveal it. and i'm not just talking about the next one or two years.
              I agree wholeheartedly, particularly the part conerning Price's persona, which wouldn't be out of place in the old Empire era.

Fury's more Jack Johnson, Price Bombadier Billy Wells (in personality, mind, not talent-wise)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
                I agree wholeheartedly, particularly the part conerning Price's persona, which wouldn't be out of place in the old Empire era.

Fury's more Jack Johnson, Price Bombadier Billy Wells
                (in personality, mind, not talent-wise)

Comment

I used to laugh at Fury and thought the only thing he had good going for him was his name, but he's actually impressed me with how well he's come on

I remember Tunney rating Fury on here and reading Emmanuel Steward rate him along with others and I didn't get it. I can admit they saw things I didn't. I saw a goofy fat kid and had the image of his self uppercut ingrained in my mind, but he's improved massively and i dont think hes in his prime
                  Last edited by chav; 01-31-2013, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post

Fury's more Jack Johnson, Price Bombadier Billy Wells (in personality, mind, not talent-wise)
                    David Haye didn't help matters.

When he first came on the scene people loved his trash talk, but then he proved all mouth no trousers against Wlad, i think the attitude to fury is "not another one of these guys"

Comment

Lol he was depressed, his dad got banged up and his child was ill while he was still a kid himself. He comfort ate and balloon up to 270, of course he'd enter the ring depressed, he just wanted a punch up and some cash to keep the big macs coming.

Largely agree with the rest althoughiI think he's shown more than you state there
                      I think you're getting your timeline mixed up.

Fury fought McDermott in 09/10, I'm sure those events happened later on? What else has he shown? Don't mention fighting southpaw against Martin Rogan.

What impresses me about Fury is not his technique or boxing ability.

Comment

Working...
                      X