Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Miguel Cotto done enough to be voted into the IBHOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Miguel Cotto done enough to be voted into the IBHOF?

His career I believe is all but done. I'm on the fence with this question. Would like feedback.
    Yes
    48.72%
    No
    51.28%

No - his legacy (as it currently stands) will be as a noteworthy (among his contemporaries) but ultimately forgettable figure in the history of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
      No - his legacy (as it currently stands) will be as a noteworthy (among his contemporaries) but ultimately forgettable figure in the history of boxing.
      Exactly. A nice guy; a quality boxer but not HOF quality.

I hope he saved some money and has a happy life outside of boxing. I don't see him beating Mosely, certainly not Mayweather. If he wants to make another few paydays. OK. But he needs to start thinking about the next phase of his life.

Comment

I don't think so. Not as his record stands.

Comment

No, im afraid not. he was/is a good boxer, just not good enough to be amongst all those other big names in there..

Sorry Cotto!

Comment

Cotto has plenty of quality wins on his resume:

Cesar Bazan (former WBC lightweight champ)
            Carlos Maussa (future WBA light-welterweight champ)
            Lovemore N'dou (future IBF light-welterweight champ)
            Randall Bailey (former WBO light-welterweight champ)
            DeMarcus Corley (former WBO light-welterweight champ)
            Ricardo Torres (future WBO light-welterweight champ)
            Paulie Malignaggi (future IBF light-welterweight champ)
            Carlos Quintana (future WBO welterweight champ)
            Otkay Urkal (European light-welter and welterweight champ)
            Zab Judah (former IBF/WBO light welterweight champ and Lineal WBC/WBA/IBF welterweight champ)
            Shane Mosley (former IBF light weight champ, two time WBC welterweight champ, WBA/WBC light-middleweight champ and future WBA welterweight champ)
            Joshua Clottey (former IBF welterweight champ)

Plus wins over solid contenders like Demetrio Ceballos, Victoriano Sosa, Kelson Pinto, Gianluca Branco, Alfonso Gomez and Michael Jennings.

One questoinable loss to former WBO welterweight champ Margarito (loaded handwraps?) and one decisive loss to the pound for pound best fighter on the planet.

In my opinion that is a Hall of fame resume. However one more big win/world title would really cement his place.
            Last edited by The Monk; 11-17-2009, 05:19 PM.

Comment

nothing but love for him but i don't think so.

Comment

Not yet but if he sticks around like Sugar Shane did he could. Sugar Shane had two bad years in boxing from 2002-2004 where he lost to Forrest and Wright. The only problem being is that Cotto has taken way more punishment. Hope he comes back

Comment

Originally posted by Unabomber View Post
                  I don't think so. Not as his record stands.
                  What? he's got an excellant record! One controversial loss and the other, Cotto should have no shame in losing to Manny. Many other boxers have lost as many or more fights and came back to win bigger and avange losses. Cotto's still young. He needs a new camp and trainer, drop his attitude and start listening to a really good trainer and team.

Some re-contructive surgery might help. His nose and that cut from the Clottey head butt are liablities for him. He can come back. And in a big way.

Comment

If Cotto can win a few more fights I think he can get in. He has only had 36 professional fights and people are speaking about him like he's done.

I think he could heal up, beat a few soft opponents, take on a couple of serious contenders and get a real title shot in 2 years or so. If he can reinvent his career and win some meaningful fights in the next few years I don't see how you could deny him. The guy hasn't had a non-title fight in 5 years for gods sake.

As it stands I don't think he has done enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X