• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what was john mugabi power level at

Was he a hard puncher?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    Was he a hard puncher?
    Yes he was. I thought he was more of a brutal puncher than a sharp puncher.

If that makes sense.

Comment

He had body strength from good conditioning but he was in very light. When he stepped up to better competition he was not prepared to go the distances! His KO high rate was built by fighting light competition. Also when he stepped up he got stopped.
      He was a good second tier opponent who made top guys get in shape and fight him hard!! I liked him. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
        Was he a hard puncher?
        He was a massive puncher but was at his best at LMW. Mickey Duff rushed him into a fight with Hagler and after that he was never the same.

Comment

I remember watching Mugabi on regular TV, he was knocking out everybody. I got to see him at the Palace of Auburn Hills, he was fighting Kenny Snow I believe. Kenny was brought in a few times to fight the Detroit fighters. He wasn't great or anything but he displayed some skill. I remember on the way to the fight they had Mugabi on the radio. The announcer asks Mugabi what his plans are and he says in his accent, "I knock him out"! That's all he said, the fight lasted only a round or two I believe, it was pretty quick and Snow was finished for the night. I think that Mugabi had extraordinary punching power, similar to Foremans. The kind of power that you see coming and it still knocks you cold. Everybody assumes that Mugabi was just a pncher, that couldn't be frther from the truth. Mugabi represented his contry in the Olympics earning a bronze medal, he was broght up and possessed good skills. I forgot what country Mugabi was from. He gave Hagler a war that saw him leaving Hagler teetering after landing his blows, that's doin' something. 9.75/10 power, just too bad he ran into Hagler who had a 15/10 chin....................Rockin'
          Last edited by Rockin'; 03-05-2013, 10:43 AM.

Comment

The guy was a Jr.Middle who wiped out Curtis Parker in the first round. Parker had fought most of the tough middleweight contenders of the late 70's and early 80's and he was tough as hell. That went out the window once Mugabi caught him cleanly.

I would rate Mugabi as a MASSIVE puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
              The guy was a Jr.Middle who wiped out Curtis Parker in the first round. Parker had fought most of the tough middleweight contenders of the late 70's and early 80's and he was tough as hell. That went out the window once Mugabi caught him cleanly.

I would rate Mugabi as a MASSIVE puncher.
              that fight was televised for FREE I believe. I remember Parker getting blown out..........Rockin'

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                that fight was televised for FREE I believe. I remember Parker getting blown out..........Rockin'
                Yeah, it was an NBC fight. I was expecting Parker to take Mugabi to a place he couldn't handle. That didn't happen!

Comment

When he stepped up to the second tier fighters ;
                  Stackhouse
                  Styles
                  Snow (stevie to I thing)
                  Hard Rock Green
                  Vampire Jounson.....................he did what he was supposed to do. His power didn't get it done when he hit the top tier! The guys on top at that time hit him and hurt him. His power didn't translate to wins. I'm not saying he wasn't a strong kid but his power didn't make up for skills when he went up in comp. He didn't move the way Forman moved up. Georges power transended the division.
                  After Hagler he stepped back then moved forward tpo the top tier guys again and got blown out by D. Thomas, T. Norris, Gerald McClendan all in the first round!! ??????????? somethings going on!! Thats not to say those guys couldn't punch because they could but I still feel his power didn't translate to winning when the big boys stood in front of him. He got stopped! Ray

whats up Rockin' HA!?

Comment

Over 9000!

Comment

Working...
                    X