No announcement yet.

Buddy Mcgirt set Macklin up...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buddy Mcgirt set Macklin up...

This guy is officially the worst ****ing trainer ever!

What Mallinagie said about him is true. Dude gives the worst advice.

Right after the 10th round he tells Macklin to start throwing the left when he was reaching with the right hand.

Which leaves you wide the **** open to get koed! It would have been a tougher fight down the stretch. Mcgirt knew he was tired Macklin should have played it more conventional try to push out a decision win by throwing more straight punches.

Instead Mcgirt instructs him to throw a left hook after a reaching right hand... a hook that will be slow because he's tired and in the 11th. Which ultimately set Macklin up for a straight left hand down the pipe.

Mcgirt told him to do something that played directly into Martinez'z hands... Wow.

If This coach hasn't been exposed for being a Horrendous trainer, I don't know what qualifies. Thoughts, am i full of it, do i have a point.

Watch the match over, and watch how Macklin get's koed, coincidence?

Originally posted by Dudley View Post

Right after the 10th round he tells Macklin to start throwing the left when he was reaching with the right hand.

Which leaves you wide the **** open to get koed! It would have been a tougher fight down the stretch. Mcgirt knew he was tired Macklin should have played it more conventional try to push out a decision win by throwing more straight punches.

Instead Mcgirt instructs him to throw a left hook after a reaching right hand... a hook that will be slow because he's tired and in the 11th. Which ultimately set Macklin up for a straight left hand down the pipe.

Mcgirt told him to do something that played directly into Martinez'z hands... Wow.

If This coach hasn't been exposed for being a Horrendous trainer, I don't know what qualifies. Thoughts, am i full of it, do i have a point.

Check this article out saying the same exact thing from **********

http://**********.com/pag/article.php?aid=23055

Comment

WOULD MACKLIN'S FUTURE BE BRIGHTER WITHOUT MCGIRT IN HIS CORNER?
      By John McCormick

Matthew Macklin will give any of the other top middleweights a problem in the ring, especially if he hires a new trainer and leaves Buddy McGirt behind.

Saturday night marked Sergio Martinez’s fourth*defense of the world middleweight championship. Thanks to Macklin, the challenger,*it wasn’t an easy night for the 37 year-old Argentinean.*Macklin,*who*deserved to be a middleweight titleholder coming into the fight (but was denied the WBA championship by poor judging that favored Felix Sturm),*showed a gallant effort and made the fight with Martinez a lot closer than most expected. Macklin*landed clean punches on Martinez throughout the fight and had the champion frustrated and confused. Martinez*adapted to Macklin’s style and closed the show in the eleventh round in dramatic fashion by knocking down Macklin twice, both times hard.*

The win was* Martinez’s most impressive since his November 2010 destruction of Paul Williams. However, the HBO broadcast team criticized Martinez throughout the first seven rounds and rightfully so, since he is the middleweight champion of the world and Macklin was exceeding expectations. The criticism stopped after round seven, though, as Martinez*answered all of their questions. On the other hand,*Macklin’s effort was never in question.

The biggest post-fight*question that could be asked was*where did Macklin’s game plan go in the eleventh round? Throughout the fight, Macklin had a lot of success landing hard right hands to the body and head of Martinez. The champion was momentarily stunned numerous times and was knocked down (tangled feet or not) as a result of a Macklin right hand landing. The left hook was barely used by Macklin throughout the first ten rounds and with good reason; Macklin was having much more success against Martinez than anybody had in the past few years. As the sound of the closing bell of round ten went off, both fighters returned to their corners. Martinez*won the tenth*round convincingly but Macklin was still competitive. Unfortunately, that competitiveness was about to come to an end at the hands of Macklin’s trainer, Buddy McGirt.

“You are landing the right hand but where is the left hook?” McGirt shouted at Macklin in between rounds ten and eleven. McGirt then instructed Macklin to throw*left hooks when Martinez reached in with the right hand. As stated before, Macklin was having success without throwing many left hooks. I’ll give McGirt the benefit of the doubt, as he was obviously attempting to have his fighter try something new and adapt to Martinez’s eighth, ninth, and tenth round surge.* Still,*the advice*helped Martinez out way more than it helped Macklin, and McGirt is supposed to be helping Macklin, not Martinez. Macklin came out in the eleventh and applied what he had been told by McGirt. The result wasn’t a left hook landing on Martinez’s chin; it was a wide open target in Macklin for Martinez to take advantage of.*

Look at the first knockdown in round eleven. Macklin left himself wide open while attempting to hit Martinez with a left hook. As a result, Martinez landed a vicious straight left hand on the chin of Macklin, sending him down. The second knockdown was no different. A left hook from Macklin that leaves him wide open for a Martinez left hand. The advice that McGirt had given Macklin not only failed to help him but was also a major technical flaw that ended up being the catalyst to two knockdowns.

McGirt’s ineffective corner methods didn’t stop there. Macklin*beat the count twice and referee Eddie Cotton allowed him to continue. Luckily for Macklin, both knockdowns were at the end of round eleven and he wouldn’t be forced to engage Martinez upon standing. Instead, he would be able to sit down for a minute, recuperate a bit and*listen to some more*advice,*then go out for the twelfth and final round in which he could at least try to finish on his feet. Macklin was never given that privilege as McGirt advised* Cotton to stop the fight.

There was only one more round. I will not deny that Macklin may have been hurt at the end of round eleven but I do question McGirt’s decision to stop the fight. Macklin wasn’t hurt to the point where he was incoherent. His vision was fine and he knew his whereabouts. McGirt didn't appear to talk to Macklin first or even examine Macklin closely to make an intelligent assessment of his condition. As cutman Danny Milano tried to revive Macklin, McGirt simply called the referee over and ended Macklin's chance of becoming the world champion. After the fight, Macklin stood in the ring for twenty minutes doing various interviews with different broadcasting teams. You mean to tell me that he was unable to compete in a fight that was taking place in front of a massive Irish crowd in the Theater at Madison Square Garden on St. Patrick’s Day for another three minutes? On top of that, it was a fight in which he was extremely competitive in.

It would be a shame if we never get a chance to see*Macklin fight on an elite level again. On Saturday night he showed that he has the heart and skill set to fight the best in the world and I would love to see him fight again in the future. However, it may be in Macklin’s best interest to leave Buddy McGirt behind. McGirt failed his mission by giving Macklin horrible advice and then stopping the fight prematurely after Macklin got hurt attempting to apply that horrible advice.*McGirt was a very good fighter in his days, definitely a better fighter than he is a trainer, as his training techniques have always been questionable and suspect. We may have seen a completely different ending on Saturday night had there been a different trainer in Macklin’s corner. You can blame* McGirt and thank*Martinez for the ending you received.

Comment

im sure mcgirt knows more than you do

Comment

WOULD MACKLIN'S FUTURE BE BRIGHTER WITHOUT MCGIRT IN HIS CORNER?
          By John McCormick

There was only one more round. I will not deny that Macklin may have been hurt at the end of round eleven but I do question McGirt’s decision to stop the fight. Macklin wasn’t hurt to the point where he was incoherent. His vision was fine and he knew his whereabouts. McGirt didn't appear to talk to Macklin first or even examine Macklin closely to make an intelligent assessment of his condition. As cutman Danny Milano tried to revive Macklin, McGirt simply called the referee over and ended Macklin's chance of becoming the world champion.
          Reading this you can say that the author of this article is clearly wrong. Anyone that was watching that fight could see that Macklin was just too tired and too hurt to continue fighting. Allowing him to get up and fight round 12 would've been a terrible decision, he was going just to get up to be brutally knocked out by Martinez.

There was absolutely no need to "examine Macklin closely", it was obvious that he was already losing the fight and that it was 100X more likely that he was going to be brutally KOd than him landing a miraculous punch.

Comment

Im surprised top fighters are still giving Buddy Mcgirt a chance. He would be dead last on my list.

Comment

Regardless of whether Macklin was open for a counter when throwing the left hook----Martinez was at another level and was pounding Macklin hard. Macklin had no chance for a knockout in the 12th and the stoppage saved him undue punishment.

Comment

What were the judges scores heading into the 10th round?

Comment

Yes McGirt is over protective of his fighters .... Gatti and Brewster come to mind ... and he did the same the other night... I saw that stoppage coming a mile away ... lol!

but you also need to give McGirt credit in a couple of areas.

In some ways, its hard to question his stoppages as we all saw the tide was turned and there was nothing that his fighter(s) had left to show McGirt at that point. Macklin had nothing left in the tank and was clearly hurt!

More importantly, it was because of McGirt and of course, his fighter listening and executing in the first 8 or so rounds that got him to the position that he was in. If Macklin had the endurance to go 12 rounds then we probably would be singing a different song.

Comment

Originally posted by Dudley View Post

Landing combos is better than one punch at a time. That was obviously Mcgirts thinking. Macklin needed to at least try.

Comment

Working...
                    X