Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone who think Weights make you slow, bulky, stiff and useless...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone who think Weights make you slow, bulky, stiff and useless...

Watch....

Originally posted by h4te View Post
    Watch....

cant watch youtube videos at work....

is this guy a boxer?

i mean if you lift 200 lbs really fast thats great and i bet they could lift 150 pounds fast ........but how much is the helping him punch with his 10 or so lb arm?

why is it really necessiary that some one be able to lift 200 lbs explosively when their arm only weights 10 or so lbs?

squats might be help full for moving your body weight......but if your squatting with 300 lbs + your body weight....sure that might help you squat 200 lbs faster but is it really helping you accelerate the weight that is just your body all that much faster?

weights are good if all you do is push your oopponet around and clinch.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-09-2011, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      cant watch youtube videos at work....

is this guy a boxer?

i mean if you lift 200 lbs really fast thats great and i bet they could lift 150 pounds fast ........but how much is the helping him punch with his 10 or so lb arm?

why is it really necessiary that some one be able to lift 200 lbs explosively when their arm only weights 10 or so lbs?
      Because punching is full body effort.

Comment

Originally posted by h4te View Post
        Because punching is full body effort.
        same deal squatting 300 lbs+ 150 that is your body when your body is only 150 lbs? is that really going to increase your speed leaps and bounds comapred to if you were only doing body weight squat s or jump squats??.......

full body effort....soooooooo every bit of your body 100% = to importance of every other part of your body? like the strength of your arms is as important as the strength of your core? i mean if your doing compound lifts every thing getting worked by the same amount of weight so every thing should be equally important...............? right? or dont your arms need to be as strong as your core? could it even be possible that if do exercises that build your core with heavy weights that your building useless muscles mass onto your arms?.....or perhaps is it possible that if you have weak arms for stabalizers that you have to use lighter weights putting you into a body build weight group for some of the muscles involved in the compound lifts also building bulky muscle mass?

theres tons of reasons why weights can make you slow bulky stiff and prone to injury.......and almost all of them stem from lifting weights tooo much and not boxing enough.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 03-09-2011, 12:36 AM.

Comment

wait, in the case if you box - then yes it does slow you down and so on.

Comment

Weights will also affect you mentally. You need to feel strong in motion, not fast standing still pushing or pulling on something

the training methods of boxing are tried and true, there's always something new that guys are doing. guys used to dig their hands into a bucket of gravel, kostya tszyu used to do all kinds of crazy coordination drills, but it's best to keep it basic. the knowledge passed down says weights aren't always bad but they aren't to be relied upon. it gives you a mentality that you've got the bulk to handle wars, when you really want to land clean effective shots and develop style

Comment

Everybody knows Mosley is stronger than Floyd but look what happened. Everybodu knows Margarito is stronger than Pacquiao and look what happened. Boxing is way more than just brute strength.

I honestly think Pacquiao can beat Pavlik and Arreola on the scorecards.

Comment

it all depends what you are trying to do. if you are training for strength and not hypertrophy or size, then weights have their place. you can lift weights and maintain size and weight and increase strength, you dont automatically grow muscles everywhere and slow down lol

OP, i'm aware of Frank Yang, very talented guy in many ways. you seen his other videos of him taking a bath and other crazy stuff? lol

Comment

Nothing wrong with weights, heavy compounds will give you a stronger posterior chain (core) which I'm sure you'll agree is important for boxing. Your abs, glutes, hams and quads are all involved in throwing punches, so there's nothing wrong with strengthening those areas.

You only risk injury if you use poor form or neglect certain muscles leading to inbalances. Diet will determine if you bulk up or not.

Lift heavy, eat well, do your stretches and mobility drills and you can't go wrong to be honest. The problem is too many people think weights = bodybuilding and loss of athletic ability when that isn't the case.

The Squat - An Application to Athletic Performance

Comment

An have all the strenght in the world but it won't count for anything unless you have flexibility, technique and most importantally you actually know how to use it. You could win an Olympic gold medal by scoring 3 clean shots a round and then buggering off and moving about for the rest of the round, now your opponent may be strong as hell but if he doesn't land punches he can't do anything.

Comment

Working...
                    X