Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bill maher challenges Bernie sanders on how he will pay for all his campaign promises

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Yeah it really is....

Follow up question would have been "what is speculation on Wall Street?" How do you tax that? It's a very vague term
    Dude...

Congress will soon be back from recess – and back to gnashing its teeth over the budget and the various important things that, too many in that branch of government now assert, our country can no longer afford to do. One way to enlarge their sense of the possible: consider a source of revenue they have so far largely ignored – a small tax on sales of stocks, bonds, and complex financial instruments.

How small? Really, really small. A bill co-introduced by Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Iowa, and Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., calls for a tax of 0.03 percent – that's 30 cents per $1,000. Yet even at that exceedingly modest level, a Wall Street speculation tax (also known as a financial transaction tax or FTT) would generate more than $350 billion over the coming decade,
    according to a non-partisan analysis of similar legislation introduced in 2012.
    http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...and-the-budget

It's not like this is the first time this idea has been talked about.

It is definitely time for Sanders to transition from just trying to get his message out to actually explaining it in detail, but it's not as if he doesn't know what his plans are.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/downlo...y/?inline=file
    Last edited by samouraļ; 10-18-2015, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by samouraļ View Post
      Dude...

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/...and-the-budget

It's not like this is the first time this idea has been talked about.

It is definitely time for Sanders to transition from just trying to get his message out to actually explaining it in detail, but it's not as if he doesn't know what his plans are.

http://www.sanders.senate.gov/downlo...y/?inline=file
      That's not what Bernie said in the interview... I'm going by that, which is the bases of this thread.. Dude couldnt defend or explain his positions vs maher.. Kinda a red flag to me, and I like Bernie
      Last edited by Sugar Adam Ali; 10-18-2015, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
        That's not what Bernie said in the interview... I'm going by that, which is the bases of this thread.. Dude could defend or explain his positions vs maher.. Kinda a red flag to me, and I like Bernie
        That is what he said. It's a tax on Wall Street speculation... which includes all those things.

Admittedly, I do hope he transitions from the sort of vague preaching he's been doing to gain exposure and goes into more detail with people so they see how his plans can be feasible. He has gone into detail in the past in various settings (I think even in the Vox interview IIRC) but he needs to do it more now that he's a household name.

Here's an article on what raising taxes/closing loopholes on just the very wealthy could accomplish. People wonder how we can pay for some of these plans?

What Could Raising Taxes on the 1% Do? Surprising Amounts

All of these things can raise a lot of money and that's without even looking at things like defense where we could cut significantly. If Sanders were to mention that he'd never hear the end of it from the right wing, regardless of the fact that even Donald Trump says he'd find out how to cut waste out of defense and spend less for equal or better results.
        Last edited by samouraļ; 10-18-2015, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Tax the rich. Next ....

Comment

at the 22ishes cheering at everything this guy says.

"tax da fat cats doe!"

"f#ckin right, berndog!"

this guy is cute, but he'll run his course. "the democrats" will give up the election if this guy makes it through the primary.

moderation is going to win this election. i'm probably not going to vote again. politics sucks. these candidates suck. they're all lizards, anyway. bushes and clinton[ians] have been in the whitehouse for much of my lifetime

i will vote to legalize weed in 2016 in MA. that's a no brainer. the fed is going to smarten up in a few years and stop turning away all of this tax money.

Comment

Working...
            X