Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the "GGG" a major draw in the UK (using Brook's name) the biggest stretch?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the "GGG" a major draw in the UK (using Brook's name) the biggest stretch?

I like GGG but I've been seeing posters say he's a draw in the UK. He sold 600,000 in PPV sales in the UK and act like he's the main reason why he sold those PPVs but fail to mention it was against Kell Brook who has a big fan base there. I understand GGG helped sold it because everyone headliner needs a dance partner but he's not the main reason why it sold 600,000. GGG wasn't on PPV in the UK prior and people were booing him when he fought Kell Brook. Is this the biggest stretch you've heard? Have you heard worse?

Wasn't it a $20 or 20GBP PPV? Definitely much better than he did in the states but still not bigger than Canelo vs Khan in the US, correct?
    Where does AJ stand in PPV buys?
    I'm trying to get a sense of just how big GGG/Brook was or wasn't as I never gave it much thought before.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Wasn't it a $20 or 20GBP PPV? Definitely much better than he did in the states but still not bigger than Canelo vs Khan in the US, correct?
      I'm trying to get a sense of just how big GGG/Brook was or wasn't as I never gave it much thought before.
      I believe so but I'm not sure. No idea about AJ's ppv numbers. Boxing is definitely thriving in the UK as of late so them having high PPV numbers wouldn't be surprising to me and I'm sure the low price they charge has something to do with it as well.

Comment

I know this is directed to me, but I'd just like to ask. Why are you switching up now? In the convo you were adamant about it being all Brook and Golovkin not being a draw. I'm the one that was saying the fight did as well because of them combined. Brook is known in the UK, Golovkin is fairly well known worldwide, they have similar drawing power if not favoring Golovkin, don't lie to yourself. You could say Brook served as the gateway for Golovkin, but this was supposedly a "despicable" fight where no one gave Brook a chance and it sold 600k. The UK doesn't just include England.

Comment

He isn't a massive draw by himself in the UK but match him up vs an established UK fighter like Brook, sanders, eubanks, froch and it will do huge business..

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stark View Post
            I like GGG but I've been seeing posters say he's a draw in the UK. He sold 600,000 in PPV sales in the UK and act like he's the main reason why he sold those PPVs but fail to mention it was against Kell Brook who has a big fan base there. I understand GGG helped sold it because everyone headliner needs a dance partner but he's not the main reason why it sold 600,000. GGG wasn't on PPV in the UK prior and people were booing him when he fought Kell Brook. Is this the biggest stretch you've heard? Have you heard worse?
            what big ppv's has kell brook headlined in the past?

Comment

He's a known name, but not a draw.

The fight done well because it was Kell Brook getting a big fight against a feared opponent and jumping divisions to do it.

You can tell by the crowd reactions also, everyone was there supporting Kell.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                I know this is directed to me, but I'd just like to ask. Why are you switching up now? In the convo you were adamant about it being all Brook and Golovkin not being a draw. I'm the one that was saying the fight did as well because of them combined. Brook is known in the UK, Golovkin is fairly well known worldwide, they have similar drawing power if not favoring Golovkin, don't lie to yourself. You could say Brook served as the gateway for Golovkin, but this was supposedly a "despicable" fight where no one gave Brook a chance and it sold 600k. The UK doesn't just include England.
                Brook is the headline and GGG was the dance partner much like Mayweather vs Canelo. You made it seem like GGG was the main reason why it sold that much but he was second fiddle when it came to the PPV selling point.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  think hearn said it outdid any AJ fight. However i think a joshua/klitschko ppv would blow it out of the water. Despite what people are making out kell brook wasnt a big name over here at all prior to ggg, never been on ppv, pretty bad reputation for avoiding fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    He isn't a massive draw by himself in the UK but match him up vs an established UK fighter like Brook, sanders, eubanks, froch and it will do huge business..
                    Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                    He's a known name, but not a draw.

The fight done well because it was Kell Brook getting a big fight against a feared opponent and jumping divisions to do it.

You can tell by the crowd reactions also, everyone was there supporting Kell.
                    My point exactly. Brook is the main reason why it was PPV in the first place. GGG helped sold it but he wasn't the main reason why it got sold. It was more about Brook being the underdog against the huge favorite in GGG.

Comment

Working...
                    X