Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no outrage over GGG hitting David after the bell and down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
    I would say because he's the white hope and HBO's house fighter. That ref didn't wanna risk his career, although the fouls were clearly intentional. There should have been a DQ.
    I saw the fight and the foul of hitting a downed man. You used the word fouls. I saw no other foul committed by GGG. What other fouls did GGG committed? A DQ for one punch on a downed man has on rare occasions caused a DQ. In the vast majority of times this happens the ref gives a warning and takes a point or 2 away. You seem sad he wasn't DQed. Is GGG being DQed really what you wanted to happen?

Comment

Originally posted by TRTboy View Post
      The outrage should be towards that incompetent ref. no? He really messed up by not deducting a point from GGG, then ****s it up even more by not giving lemeiux time to recover from the illegal hit.
      The whole sport is plagued by bad officiating and biased commentary from the networks. Boxing remains a very dirt sport. The only way you ever see a "clean" fight, is when both the fighters in ring demonstrate clean performances (no holding, elbows, etc etc) like Rigo or Loma... Because you certainly can't rely on the refs to keep things clean.

That said GGG is a clean fighter, that was a poor judgement on his part, and I'm sure, even if he was DQ'd, he would of understood he messed up.

Comment

Protect yourself at all times. Maybe a point should have been deducted but I can understand why a referee would show leniency: he went down on one knee whilst Golovkin was in seek and destroy mode.

A few years back, Van Persie was sent off against Barcelona for taking the shot after the whistle. That pissed me off to no end because because the focus required to do certain jobs will not be broken in a split second.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
          I would say because he's the white hope and HBO's house fighter. That ref didn't wanna risk his career, although the fouls were clearly intentional. There should have been a DQ.
          The term white hope doesn't fit GGG at all. The term white hope came from Jack Johnson being the heavyweight champion and many white Americans wanting a white man to take back the title. GGG is not a white hope trying to take the middleweight title away from a dominant black champion. GGG is firmly established as the best middleweight in the world. Nobody has to hope for him to do this because he has already done it. The fact is some black American boxing fans are hoping for a black American boxer to beat GGG. To them Ward, Jacobs, Quillin and even English Eubank are all black hopes. They also hope for any black heavyweight to beat Wlad.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
            He could have been DQd but how many people give Montell Griffin credit for his DQ win over Roy?

DQ victories do nothing but force an immediate rematch for an already uneventful fight.
            Roy's punches were a lot more intentional than GGG's so there was no way he wasn't getting DQ'd.

Roy even threw 2 punches while Griffin was on his knees.

Comment

comes down to the fact that david chose not to fake

had he played it he could have gotten the DQ win.. that would be really sad

Comment

Originally posted by TRTboy View Post
                The outrage should be towards that incompetent ref. no? He really messed up by not deducting a point from GGG, then ****s it up even more by not giving lemeiux time to recover from the illegal hit.
                Ohh, it's the ref for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                  Protect yourself at all times. Maybe a point should have been deducted but I can understand why a referee would show leniency: he went down on one knee whilst Golovkin was in seek and destroy mode.

A few years back, Van Persie was sent off against Barcelona for taking the shot after the whistle. That pissed me off to no end because because the focus required to do certain jobs will not be broken in a split second.
                  Protect yourself at all times does not trump hitting a downed fighter. Talking a knee equals a kd. You can't hit a downed fighter and the downed fighter shouldn't feel the need to defend himself, sorry.

Comment

Because at the end of the day, Lemiuex isn't a good boxer and he has no fans. So no one cares.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                      Because at the end of the day, Lemiuex isn't a good boxer and he has no fans. So no one cares.
                      About the most honest answer here. Better than making excuses about seek and destroy mode. Or the downed fighter not protecting himself, or that he wasn't gonna win anyway. TBH.

Comment

Working...
                      X