Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Robert Helenius: Wlad's really good at beating smaller guys from a distance because..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Helenius: Wlad's really good at beating smaller guys from a distance because..

Robert Helenius: “Wladimir Klitschko is really good at beating smaller guys from a distance where they feel powerless from doing anything”

JENNA: A lot of people are saying it’s one of the best heavyweight fights they’ve seen in a long time. How do you feel about your performance?

HELENIUS: Yeah, of course I feel always that I could do better and maybe move more on my feet and stuff like that apart from my own distance. I don’t know. I just felt like I wanted to do some close combat and stuff like that, that I usually don’t do in the fights. But I’m pleased with my fight, yeah.

JENNA: Alright, now did he do anything in the ring that surprised you?

HELENIUS: No. I knew he was going to go. I was ready to go twelve rounds. I knew he was in good shape and he got like three and a half months time to prepare and he is very much experienced. So I knew he was going to be a tough guy.

JENNA: Well he did very well in the early rounds, and from your perspective what do you think you could have done differently to have had an easier time with him?

HELENIUS: Just like I said, maybe fight at a bit more distance and more jabbing and keeping distance. I think that would have worked great, but I don’t know. I was kind of lazy at some points in the fight I felt.

JENNA: One thing boxing fans have really complimented you on was your ability to finish Sergei Liakhovich when he was hurt. In the ninth round you had this beautiful combination with an uppercut. Can you tell us a little bit about the moment when you scored the knockout?

HELENIUS: Yeah I saw in round eight when I was starting to pursue him, I saw in his face that he was hit in all the rounds so many times that he was starting to get tired. I noticed that and I really tried to pressure and pursue him in the eighth round and I got him down on his knee. Then I knew I had to finish him in the ninth round. I did a really explosive uppercut and it landed perfectly, so after that I just said, “Now you’re going down”.

JENNA: A lot of fans are saying your fight with Liakhovich really stole the show over the fight between Povetkin and Chagaev. I’m curious, did you get a chance to see that matchup between those two guys?

HELENIUS: I saw in the locker room like a few rounds before, but I didn’t see the whole fight. It didn’t really look close to me in the first two rounds, but then I didn’t see so I can’t really comment on that.

JENNA: That’s fine, but as far as future opponents go where do you see Alexander Povetkin in your plans?

HELENIUS: It’s kind of hard for me to say. I plan everything with my manager and stuff like that so I can’t really tell. I’m just recovering from my last fight so I haven’t even started thinking about my next fight.

JENNA: You are getting a lot of fan praise saying you’re probably the most dangerous heavyweight out there right now. You’re undefeated, you have good size, and especially with two champions like the Klitschkos that are big, they say that you have the best chance to defeat them. Do you feel that way?

HELENIUS: Yeah, I’m not sure if I’m really ready for that yet. Maybe one or two or three fights maybe, just to make my confidence a little bit higher and to work on my stamina a little more maybe.

JENNA: Okay, well Robert we’re also on the line with my Co-Host Geoff Ciani.

GEOFFREY CIANI: Hi Robert. Congratulations on the victory and welcome back to the show.

HELENIUS: Thank you.

CIANI: I wanted to ask you Robert, you now have three knockout victories against former heavyweight world champions. How does that make you feel in itself?

HELENIUS: (laughs) It feels good, of course. You know, but I have trained also. I worked for it a long time, so of course it feels really good to show results.

CIANI: Now you said that you didn’t think you were quite ready for a Klitschko yet and that you might need a couple of more fights and some time to work on your stamina. Is your stamina the one area in your game then that you feel could use the most improvement?

HELENIUS: Yeah I think you could say that. My footwork and everything, you need really good conditioning to move around 110 kilos for twelve rounds. I feel really good. I wasn’t feeling tired in that last fight, but still I want to improve myself to give myself better self confidence. Then I can really go in there and beat them.

CIANI: Now Robert you have deceptive power in my opinion, where when I’m watching your fights on TV it doesn’t always look like you’re throwing the hardest punches, but the way that your opponents react when you hit them you can tell that you’re hitting them hard and you carry this power late into the fights, which is rare for heavyweights. How do you explain your ability to be able to carry your knockout power into the later rounds?

HELENIUS: Like I said I didn’t feel tired. I felt like he was just hanging around. I started to pursue him really, really hard and in the eighth round I got the knockdown. I don’t know. I felt really good I get more power from when I see the other guys getting tired, and I felt like that. We have trained for a lot of power, and maybe it’s the technique also. My hits come straight from the chin sometimes, so sometimes it’s really explosive, and I did a rhythmic change there in the eighth and ninth round with some really explosive punches, so I think that makes the punches even harder.

Final part.

CIANI: I wanted to get your views on an upcoming heavyweight title fight between Vitali Klitschko and former cruiserweight champion Tomasz Adamek. Do you think somebody as small as Adamek has any shot against the older Klitschko brother?

HELENIUS: I don’t know. I don’t know. It’s really hard to tell. I think Adamek is prime and he’s young and I think he’s going to try to win of course, but maybe he’s just too short and too little for Klitschko I think. I think Klitschko is going to dominate with his left hand like he always does. I think maybe he has in the beginning a really good shot to knock him down or something like that, but if Klitschko’s as good as before, I think he’s going to dominate.

JENNA: Alright well Robert, people made a lot of the Klitschko versus Haye fight saying that it was a disappointment. Do you think that fight in any way negatively impacted the heavyweight division due to the fact that it did turn some boxing fans off?

HELENIUS: For me, of course it was also a disappointment that they didn’t do as much work as I was expecting, but Wladimir Klitschko is really good at beating smaller guys from a distance where they feel powerless from doing anything. Maybe it wasn’t that good of a fight. I don’t know. It’s really hard to comment on that.

JENNA: Okay well I went to get your views on something else that people are talking about, and they are a little bit upset about it. Povetkin won the WBA “regular” belt while Wladimir Klitschko is the unified champion who holds the main belt. Do you think that Povetkin should really be considered a champion holding the belt that people really say doesn’t have much value?

HELENIUS: That’s a really hard question, also. I don’t think so often about that stuff. I’m just trying to get up to the top and of course it’s nice Povetkin got a world title shot. There are so many belts out there. I have friends and fans that ask me what about this one, what about that one, but it’s really hard now days when there are so many belts out there. Now when they’re making new belts, I don’t know. It’s very bad for the whole spirit of the game.

JENNA: Every fighter we have on the show usually says it doesn’t matter who they get in the ring with. They just want to get back out there, but for you is there any particular name that you’re targeting for your next fight?

HELENIUS: No. Not really. No. I’m just waiting on talking to my promoter, and manager, and trainer, and we’ll sit down after my vacation and talk things through to see what we’re going to do next.

CIANI: Robert I’m just curious, when you look at yourself now you’re a young undefeated fighter. What is it you would ultimately like to accomplish in boxing?

HELENIUS: I haven’t really thought about that, but of course being a world champion—a unified world champion—that would be perfect. That would be my dream.

CIANI: Now you’re starting to become a very popular name amongst die hard boxing fans, but a lot of the casual fans especially over here in America, they don’t know much about you. How important do you think it is to start getting more American TV dates?

HELENIS: I think it’s really important for the fans in the sport as a whole, for the whole boxing community. I think it would be good if there were more interesting fights, but like I said with the belts. Maybe too many belts make it hard to know who’s the real champion and stuff like that, and maybe that’s why people don’t get more interested when there are like three or four champions and stuff like that. Of course it’s very important. I hope people like my fights over there in the USA and maybe some day I am going to fight there.

CIANI: Now Liakhovich had a better performance against you then a lot of people were expecting, and it was actually the best he’s looked in years. Do you think he still has something to offer the heavyweight division?

HELENIUS: Yeah, he was a tough opponent of course, but I don’t think he has a shot to go for a heavyweight world title.

JENNA: Alright well Robert, we have just a couple of more questions before we let you off the line and I want to get your view on the Klitschko brothers themselves. People debate who is the better fighter, who is the better Klitschko, who is more dangerous? From your view, who do you think is the more dangerous opponent out of those two?

HELENIUS: It would be a better question after Adamek and Vitali fight, because Wladimir we have already seen not so long ago and Vitali is getting old. What is he? 39? 40 years?

JENNA: Yeah, 40.

HELENIUS: 40 yeah? So also I think it’s really hard for him to keep in shape for such a long time. I don’t know how many years he’s been professional, but at this point I think Wladimir would be the better fighter.

JENNA: With regards to yourself how soon before you see yourself getting back in the ring?

HELENIUS: I take right now two weeks vacation, and then I start training again maybe in November or something like that.

JENNA: Alright well I have one final question. Is there anything you want to say to your fans and supporters that came out and watched you fight against Sergei Liakhovich?

HELENIUS: Thank you, and I hope you bring more fans next time and that you get interested in my fighting style.

Comment

all big Norway has to do is keeping laying dudes out....he'll get his chance to dance with the champ...as Haye and many others have found out...it looks one way on the outside...but once in there with Dr. Steelhammer, you find out that its a whole different look....so like I said, nothing against big norway talking the talk...but once its time to walk the walk we'll see if he has the same impression of Wlad...all I know is that IF the 2 ever meet....Doc will drop the hammer on him and he'll fall down...if he can get back up...he'll get the same....dude is no threat to the throne....trust me!!

Comment

I hope to see Helenius with 25+ fights and then face Wladimir :-)

Comment

Helenius is the real deal.

knocking the **** outta anybody put in front of him.

Comment

He's not Norweigan, he's Finland-Swedish. I've said it before and I say it again. I'd love to see him fight Chris Areola next.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
              He's not Norweigan, he's Finland-Swedish. I've said it before and I say it again. I'd love to see him fight Chris Areola next.
              Chris "Jesus Christ" Arreola want nothing to do with this beast. I remember him saying Helenius is "too dangerous" and "**** him" after he knocked the living crap outta Sam P.

Comment

Originally posted by VatoMulatto View Post
                Same. Actually Lyakhovich-Arreola would be a great fight too.

Comment

Not Impressed By Robert Helenius

I just watched his three most recent fights; and what did I see? Another slow, mechanical robot with the workrate of a statue. Uggggg

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                    I just watched his three most recent fights; and what did I see? Another slow, mechanical robot with the workrate of a statue. Uggggg

Poet
                    I know what you mean. I'm not really a big fan of the stand up fighters that the heavyweight division seems to be full of these days. I was a fan of crusierweight for a few years but i havent seen so many fights there recently, I like Ola Afolabi though shame he wasnt fighting at heavyweight. I would like to have seen Boystov progress better if he was under a trainer like cus d'amato he would have been much better his build suits the peek-a-boo style imo.

Comment

Working...
                    X