No announcement yet.

Nigel Benn backs Andre Ward to beat Carl Froch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nigel Benn backs Andre Ward to beat Carl Froch

Former super-middleweight world champion Nigel Benn has tipped Andre Ward to beat Carl Froch in the final of the Super Six tournament this weekend.

Nottingham's WBC title-holder Froch faces American WBA champion Ward in Atlantic City, with Ward the favourite.

"I fancy Ward to win it. He's very slippery, a very good fighter," Benn told BBC Sport.

"Don't get me wrong, Carl's a good fighter, a strong guy, and it will be a close fight, but Ward will edge it."

Former Olympic champion Ward has won all 24 of his professional fights, including a victory over Denmark's Mikkel Kessler, who in turn beat Froch.

That defeat by Kessler, in 2009, is Froch's only loss in the paid ranks and the 34-year-old has since beaten Arthur Abraham and Glen Johnson to reach the final of the tournament.

However, Froch is a 2-1 underdog with British bookmakers, while most pundits expect the 27-year-old Ward to outsmart his English rival.

While Froch has often complained about a lack of media and public interest in his fights, Benn insisted modern fighters were partly to blame for their lack of exposure.

"I wish I saw more of them, they box once every six or seven months," said Benn, who was a central figure in British boxing's last great boom in the early 1990s, when his fights with Chris Eubank were watched by millions on terrestrial television.

"How are you going to get a name? Carl Froch is a great fighter but we see him once in a blue moon. You've got to keep busy and then 'bang, bang, bang', prepare for another one.

"I was fighting every month - one year I had 13 fights - 'bang, knock him out, bring on somebody else, bang, knock him out, bring on somebody else'.

"The British public watched us grow up because they didn't have to pay for it. Now boxing is scattered all over the place, on Sky Sports or pay-per-view, and people can't afford it."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/16193191.stm

Interesting...

I think I know why Benn wants Ward to win.

Comment

So much British on British hate. When will it end?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        Interesting...

Really, how come?

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
          Really, how come?
          Because he's black, obviously.

Just like Nigel is picking Haye to beat Vitali. Oh wait.........

Comment

Freedom pulling the race card

Comment

Interesting...

Nigel isn't like that

Comment

Interesting...

Projecting aren't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Dedication View Post
                  "I wish I saw more of them, they box once every six or seven months," said Benn, who was a central figure in British boxing's last great boom in the early 1990s, when his fights with Chris Eubank were watched by millions on terrestrial television.

"How are you going to get a name? Carl Froch is a great fighter but we see him once in a blue moon. You've got to keep busy and then 'bang, bang, bang', prepare for another one.

"I was fighting every month - one year I had 13 fights - 'bang, knock him out, bring on somebody else, bang, knock him out, bring on somebody else'.
                  and who were those 13 against nigel? the likes of the super six? hmm.

when he started fighting decent competition (with one or two not so great mixed in) benn was fighting 2-4 times a year. still better than most do today but hardly vastly better. anyone beleive he woulda walked through 4 really good fighters in a year? i don't.
                  he's just worried about slipping down the list of greatest british fighters, especially as at supermiddle froch is already putting himself close up there with calzaghe. eubank did better than benn too.

Comment

Interesting...

And everybody know's why you discredit every black fighter on the planet .

Comment

Working...
                    X