Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could a deaf man become a boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a deaf friend in high school who was a super athlete and incredibly strong. As a matter of fact he was by far the strongest kid in the school and he had never lifted weights or even trained for that matter. I have heard several different people comment that deaf people have tremendous physical strength. I'm told it's because they have heightened stress hormone due to living with a disability which in turn causes increased adrenaline production. Matt Hamill is a deaf MMA fighter and very good...I don't see why a deaf person couldn't box.

Comment

The only problem I see is he might throw punches after the bell and get in a sucker punch

Comment

I guess so. There aren't many reasons why not being able to hear would affect a persons ability to fight.

Plus referees, corner men, translators etc could all learn how to communicate with him pretty well too so it would seem very possible

Comment

Honestly, outside of the ending of rounds, I can't think of a reason why not. The ref shouldn't matter, since being deaf can't be much more difficult than a language barrier as far as ref instructions, your trainer could use sign language, what other problem is there?

Comment

Originally posted by Rights4Gays View Post
            Does being deaf affect your balance?
            Seperate organs that happen to be in same spot. Say if you born with defective eardrum, the balance would not be affected

Comment

The most recent boxer that I can recall being deaf is Dallas Vargas. He was in a shoebox super middle weight tournament. He was knocked out in the first round by jean Paul mendey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jupiter Maximus View Post
                Seperate organs that happen to be in same spot. Say if you born with defective eardrum, the balance would not be affected
                Cheers, so the only issue really is hearing the bell. I wonder if it allows you to concentrate more since some say other senses are heightened when you lose one.

Comment

Working...
                X