No announcement yet.

how to get rid of shin splints?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to get rid of shin splints?

Does anyone no how to get rid of shin splints.....i played basketball for my middle and highschool and never had them i took a break from workin out do to ocd an now i have shin splints......they hurt bad when i bounce an do footwork....after about 15 minutes of warmin up it goes away for a lil......also it seems like there is no way to stretch them.....anyone no how to get rid or make them better

I used to get them pretty bad but since I started dedicating a reasonable amount of time to stretching them before each run I don't really have any problems. The main stretch I do for them is basically kneeling and sitting on them so that my arse is basically on my heels and my shins are flat to the ground with my body weight on them. I typically sit in that position for a few minutes before running. Also standing with your toes on a step and your heels below and holding that position for a reasonable length of time seems to help me as well.

Comment

Hope this helps you out.

You can google how to make a home made DARD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYWffp98XWs

http://www.joeskopec.com/dard/dard.htm

Making a Dynamic Axial Rotation Device (DARD)
      By; Vaughn Numrych

A DARD is a device to strengthen the ankles and the anterior tibialis muscles on the front of the shin. I have suffered from shin splints many times and was looking for a way to prevent them. I came across the DARD in many internet articles but the cost to buy one is very high, the least expensive one I found was $69.95 for a standard plate model. Sooo, off to Home Depot I went and came up with this alternative that had a total cost of less than $15.00.

Screw all of the pieces together tightly except for the end cap where the plate goes. You may have to fiddle with it a bit to get the two foot rests parallel. I set the dumbbell collar to the thickness of a 25 pound plate and use an end cap to hold it in place but you could easily use a pair of dumbbell collars as well. I wrapped the foot rest that my toes hook under with 3/4 inch pipe insulation and duct tape to make it more comfortable. The pictures show the schematic, a commercial DARD, and then three views of the home made one. You use the DARD by hooking your feet under the pads and then pointing your toes toward the wall then towards the ceiling for the required number of repetitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
        I used to get them pretty bad but since I started dedicating a reasonable amount of time to stretching them before each run I don't really have any problems. The main stretch I do for them is basically kneeling and sitting on them so that my arse is basically on my heels and my shins are flat to the ground with my body weight on them. I typically sit in that position for a few minutes before running. Also standing with your toes on a step and your heels below and holding that position for a reasonable length of time seems to help me as well.
        i do this before any run as well, shin splints used to kill me

Comment

I used to get them really bad, still get them from time to time when running.

What I found helped me was doing a 10/15 walk/jog on a treadmill with the resistance turned up as high as it will go.

I did it say 3 times a week for about a month or so, and really noticed a difference.

Comment

One thing that most people miss (i learned this during my high school track days) make sure to tie your sneakers up to the top holes - the ones that go around your ankle. That should help to begin with.

then after each run ice and an NSAID ie; advil, motrin, naproxen.

Comment

Thanks for yall help ima try that......and nice sig rjjr is the man

Comment

Try to avoid heel striking while running...

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1...w=1680&bih=935

Comment

real men dont care about shin splints...

jk

wish i could help u tho

but the other guys above seem to have tips

Comment

Working...
                  X