Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does that loss to floyd hurt marquez career?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does that loss to floyd hurt marquez career?

Just curious as to what others think. Me personally I thought from the jump that Marquez had nothing to lose and everything to gain.

To give an example as to why. I personally feel if Floyd moved up to a catch weight between 160-168, and faced a Mikkel Kessler or Jermain Taylor...I would give him no chance of winning. As a matter of fact I would be surprise if he didn't win a round and got knocked out in the process.

I just brought that up, because that is how I viewed marquez moving up and losing the way he did.

If Floyd called out Pavlik, he would have no right to ask for catchweight. The fight must be at 160.

The loss did nothing to JMM, since PBF carried him to the bell. JMM is paid well now and will get a mega fight with Hatton and with Pacman(After Floyd clowns on his ass)

Comment

and b4 idiots flame

Marquez best weight is 130 but has won a title at 135. He jump 3 weight classes to fight the best

Mayweather's best weight class is 147 but he has won a title at 154. So in the same since he would have to jump 3 weight classes to do what Marquez did.

Just thought I would elaborate before some idiot tries to twist my analogy.

Comment

In terms of his rep, not at all. But it was a huge setback. He usurped Pac at 135 by winnin the world title and gobblin up 2 more alphabet belts, and had major momentum buildin towards a potential rematch. Now he gotta lose muscle mass to come down to proper fightin weight. He likely ain't gettin that 3rd Pac fight. And he might need a lotta time off to rest war wounds before he can get back to camp for any fight. At his age that ain't good. GBP sold him down the river, and Nacho never shoulda let his fighter delude himself into thinkin he could fight at WW.

Comment

He did lose pretty badly, but Floyd is highly regarded and was clearly the bigger man. I do not think the loss hurt him to badly in the publics eyes as he really did not have his will broken by Floyd and never gave in despite the whipping and survived until the end.

I think it hurts him a bit the way he lost but I think he can easily erase that if he can win his next fight.

Then again he got a ton of exposure he never really got before so he could end up gaining despite the loss (people will not forget the piss drinking quickly).

Comment

Originally posted by mikedb1984 View Post
            and b4 idiots flame

Marquez best weight is 130 but has won a title at 135. He jump 3 weight classes to fight the best

Mayweather's best weight class is 147 but he has won a title at 154. So in the same since he would have to jump 3 weight classes to do what Marquez did.

That doesn't even make sense. JMM jumped 2 weight classes not 3. JMM last fight was at 135, doesn't matter if 130 was his best weight. If that is the case PBF best weight is 140.

That being said, JMM fight night weight is 140. So really he moved up one division

Comment

Originally posted by Pretty Boy Flaw View Post
              If Floyd called out Pavlik, he would have no right to ask for catchweight. The fight must be at 160.

The loss did nothing to JMM, since PBF carried him to the bell. JMM is paid well now and will get a mega fight with Hatton and with Pacman(After Floyd clowns on his ass)
              This has nothing to do with my trying to knock the catch weight (I actually agree with what you are saying). This post is strictly about what this loss has done to Marquez career and if it tarnished it in anyway.

I personally felt this was a kamikaze trip from the jump.

Comment

This fight kinda never happened.

That's how I really see it, it was just a day to make money for both of the is all.

Comment

Does't hurt him at all. He wasn't getting a brutal beating or anything. He jumped two weightclasses and ended the fight on his feet. He can go fight Hatton at 140 and make some money.

Comment

Originally posted by mikedb1984 View Post
                    and b4 idiots flame

I would argue that Floyd's best weight class was 130 but currently 147 is where he is best at and really can not go much lower (144 maybe if he wants to try).

I would say JMM right now is best at 135 not 130, he has gotten a little older so I think 130 would have started catching up with him in the near future had he hung around at that weight and he was looking good at 135.

Comment

Working...
                    X