No announcement yet.

Robeisy Ramirez anyone?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robeisy Ramirez anyone?

I want to see this guy in the pros. Anyone believe he'll make the jump? I hope he does because at such a young age I could see his learning curve wicked and he does have that instinct to mix it up and go for it not just lay back.

63 views and no reply? No love for the amateur guys I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by SeivUrBref View Post
      I want to see this guy in the pros. Anyone believe he'll make the jump? I hope he does because at such a young age I could see his learning curve wicked and he does have that instinct to mix it up and go for it not just lay back.
      Ramirez has a lot of potential as a professional. He's talented, skilled and aggressive. But Robeisy's young, bro. He's only nineteen. With the increase in Cuban defections over the last few years, it's become evident that things have changed somewhat on the island. The Cuban security system has decayed a bit in Castro's twilight years; and with more Cuban athletes taking on successful pro sports careers, it's inspiring even more to take the plunge. Ramirez, however, almost certainly isn't mature enough to make that kind of leap. If he makes it to the U.S., Robeisy would find it a tough go as a stranger in a strange land.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
        Ramirez has a lot of potential as a professional. He's talented, skilled and aggressive. But Robeisy's young, bro. He's only nineteen. With the increase in Cuban defections over the last few years, it's become evident that things have changed somewhat on the island. The Cuban security system has decayed a bit in Castro's twilight years; and with more Cuban athletes taking on successful pro sports careers, it's inspiring even more to take the plunge. Ramirez, however, almost certainly isn't mature enough to make that kind of leap. If he makes it to the U.S., Robeisy would find it a tough go as a stranger in a strange land.
        I think I told you Abreu is in Haiti... Wait until you see that animal hitting homeruns...

Comment

Originally posted by BendOver View Post
          I think I told you Abreu is in Haiti... Wait until you see that animal hitting homeruns...
          Yes, I replied to you. I was notified of Abreu's defection as soon as it became publicly known. I saw Jose in the WBC. He was impressive, one of the guys I wanted to see defect. His numbers for the Cuban league a couple of years ago were like video game stats. He'll sign before next spring for a few tens of millions of dollars. It's amazing how these Cuban baseball players are coming over and signing for millions after having nothing, literally, their whole lives. Good for them.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
            See on the other hand I think with a support system of having other great cuban fighters here he might feel better and being so young he might adapt better and more quickly than the older guys who come over but I do see your point as in maybe too young too much.

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how he does, he was sensational in the olympics.

Comment

My favourite fighter of the olympics. If he could defect in a few years his potential is off the charts.

Will he be a part of the new Cuban WSB team?

Comment

Think he beat Conlan at the Olympics looked incredible

Comment

Originally posted by SeivUrBref View Post
                    See on the other hand I think with a support system of having other great cuban fighters here he might feel better and being so young he might adapt better and more quickly than the older guys who come over but I do see your point as in maybe too young too much.
                    It takes a lot of guts to defect from Cuba. It's risky. Then there's the added and significant pressure of leaving your family and friends behind, the life you've always known. That's a lot of weight for a grown-ass man to bear, let alone a kid who's not yet twenty years old.

I don't know how supportive the Cuban boxers in the U.S. are of each other, to be honest. However, a kid like Robeisy, with his talent and achievement, might very well obtain the support of a manager. But who knows what the extent of that support might be? Ramirez could struggle for several years while awaiting a decent paying fight. The good news is, Robeisy seems like he can fill out enough to at least fight at lightweight some day.

I would love to see what this kid can do as a pro. I think he can be great.

Comment

Working...
                    X