No announcement yet.

The Top 20 Junior Lightweights of All-Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Top 20 Junior Lightweights of All-Time

By Cliff Rold - Follow the sweet science long enough and even a passing fan will hear, with sounds of awe, about an ‘original eight,’ about a bygone era when the sport’s weight classes were limited to just that number with (usually) just that many World champions.

The era didn’t last very long.

As early as the 1920s, prizefighting saw extra prizes added by way of Jr. Divisions at Featherweight, Lightweight and Welterweight. Over the course of time, the total number has grown to a modern seventeen weight classes. Sometimes derided as bastard divisions, most didn’t begin with particular esteem. As the years and indeed decades have passed, all have built their own legacies in blood and all have produced greatness in the ring. [details]

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
    By Cliff Rold - Follow the sweet science long enough and even a passing fan will hear, with sounds of awe, about an ‘original eight,’ about a bygone era when the sport’s weight classes were limited to just that number with (usually) just that many World champions.

The era didn’t last very long.

As early as the 1920s, prizefighting saw extra prizes added by way of Jr. Divisions at Featherweight, Lightweight and Welterweight. Over the course of time, the total number has grown to a modern seventeen weight classes. Sometimes derided as bastard divisions, most didn’t begin with particular esteem. As the years and indeed decades have passed, all have built their own legacies in blood and all have produced greatness in the ring. [details]
    This is the most reasonable list, compare to the other ones!!!!!!!

Not bad!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ch@mpBox@PR View Post
      This is the most reasonable list, compare to the other ones!!!!!!!

Not bad!!!!!!!!
      Wow...not only are you a reliable first post...you actually surprised me.

However, with different voices chiming in on 'most reasonable' from week to week, at least it's generating interesting discussion.

Comment

I'd have Saddler and Chavez rated higher. I can't argue too much with the top 5 names. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
          I'd have Saddler and Chavez rated higher. I can't argue too much with the top 5 names. Good stuff.
          Saddler is tough. He was SADDLER but there really wasn't a serious 130 lb. class in his time.

Comment

Tony Lopez at 17. Sac-Town.....

Comment

floyd should be no.1

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu44 View Post
                floyd should be no.1
                Obviously. Floyd destroys Arguello head to head.

Comment

Sandy Saddler could be ranked higher but it's hard to determine which of his fights should count as being at 130 lbs since in some he or his opponent would weigh a pound or two over the limit.

He beat Zulueta twice and both fights were over 126 but under 130. He also beat Miguel Acevedo, Ray Famechon, Tommy Collins, Lauro Salas, Miguel Acevedo at 130.

Saddler had other fights where he weighed 130 but his opponents weighed in at the lightweight limit or over, for example against future LW champion Paddy DeMarco when Saddler stopped DeMarco in 9 rounds. Saddler was outweighed by 5 lbs.
                  Last edited by TheGreatA; 03-11-2009, 12:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadNewz View Post
                    Obviously. Floyd destroys Arguello head to head.
                    He would have also destroyed Cervantes and JCC, both 1 and 2 at Light welterweight but Floyd didn't do **** at that weight. You get my drift noob?

Comment

Working...
                    X