Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Side Picks the Gloves

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This A-side B-Side crap is getting annoying. There should be a limited list of things that the A-Side should have control over (venue, who comes to the ring first, etc..). Otherwise, boxing should be on a level playing field, and we are approaching a very slippery slope. A-sides demanding stupid catch weights and picking gloves directly contributes to the outcome of a fight. Hearing Freddie Roach tell Shane Mosley how he needed to drain him down more than previous opponents because he was "too good" and Mayweather not letting Maidana use stock gloves that his own TMT stable uses is pathetic and inexcusable!! Boxing is a business, but also a SPORT!

Comment

Originally posted by gamefrk View Post
      One of the best face-offs ever done by HBO! But were you gonna make a point Larry?

If you're asking me, then I agree with you. I voted for NO.
      I voted no aswell. Me and u are on the same side.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
        It doesn't matter what I think. Besides, The fighter that signs the contract is just as guilty as the A-side choosing the gloves.

If he felt so strongly about it don't sign the contract and take a stand for what you believe in. A-side demands exist because the b-sides allow it because the money is too good to pass on the opportunity.

Most of the time B-sides can't afford to pass on the money. 100k might be nothing to the a-side but massive for them. Blaming the b-side here makes no more sense than blaming the b-side for not walking away when the a-side misses weight. They can't afford to.

It just shouldn't be allowed to happen, and in a sport where corruption wasn't actively encouraged it wouldn't be.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          Most of the time B-sides can't afford to pass on the money. 100k might be nothing to the a-side but massive for them. Blaming the b-side here makes no more sense than blaming the b-side for not walking away when the a-side misses weight. They can't afford to.

It just shouldn't be allowed to happen, and in a sport where corruption wasn't actively encouraged it wouldn't be.
          It's impossible to control this. When one fighter can generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the city and the other can't even fill up a local ballroom this type of stuff will exist. It's not like football where you have an organized league with franchises that represent cities and can sell out every week. The franchise makes money from ticket sales, advertising and TV contracts and pays its players salaries. In boxing, only 3 fighters can currently fill up an arena in Vegas and the payout is based on your popularity.

The Commission won't do anything because Floyd will take his business elsewhere and the city will lose millions. The sanctioning bodies can't do anything because sanctioning fees are based on a percentage of a fighters purse and Floyd's purses are more than 50 times that of your typical boxer.

As has been the case for the last 100 years, if the B-side wants the opportunity, he is just going to have to concede to the demands and try to find a way to win with a handicap. The chips are always stacked against the B-side from the contract stipulations, to the refs, to the judges to the fans. When they are able to pull it off, it makes the win that much more sweeter.

Comment

Originally posted by gamefrk View Post
            Forget about all the recent events/controversies. Would it be okay if from this day onward for EVERY fight the A side gets to choose the gloves for the B side of the fight? Would you as fans be alright if this became a STANDARD & is INCLUDED IN THE CONTRACTS too?

Vote & discuss!
            You need to redo this Poll or have a mod change the setting to show the voters' names. This is the best poll to expose those who are true and fake fans of the sport.

Comment

It's impossible to control this. When one fighter can generate hundreds of millions of dollars for the city and the other can't even fill up a local ballroom this type of stuff will exist. It's not like football where you have an organized league with franchises that represent cities and can sell out every week. The franchise makes money from ticket sales, advertising and TV contracts and pays its players salaries. In boxing, only 3 fighters can currently fill up an arena in Vegas and the payout is based on your popularity.

The Commission won't do anything because Floyd will take his business elsewhere and the city will lose millions. The sanctioning bodies can't do anything because sanctioning fees are based on a percentage of a fighters purse and Floyd's purses are more than 50 times that of your typical boxer.

As has been the case for the last 100 years, if the B-side wants the opportunity, he is just going to have to concede to the demands and try to find a way to win with a handicap. The chips are always stacked against the B-side from the contract stipulations, to the refs, to the judges to the fans. When they are able to pull it off, it makes the win that much more sweeter.
              I agree that the central problem is commissions and sanctioning bodies undercutting each other. That's true of almost every significant problem in the sport.

But to say that Floyd is going to leave Nevada because the NSAC have a list of approved gloves is absurd. They absolutely have the power to do that. But they choose not to.

Comment

I agree that the central problem is commissions and sanctioning bodies undercutting each other. That's true of almost every significant problem in the sport.

But to say that Floyd is going to leave Nevada because the NSAC have a list of approved gloves is absurd. They absolutely have the power to do that. But they choose not to.
                They choose not to because they don't want to lose his business.

Comment

I guess I'm in the minority because I don't have a problem with A side dictating terms as long as its in the contract then it's cool with me.

Comment

They choose not to because they don't want to lose his business.
                    Because they are a nest of grasping ****s who would sanction two men fighting with broken bottles if the law and society permitted it.

Their greed isn't in question. The point is that there are real limits on what these people can and cannot allow. It's not no holds barred. It is possible to end this sort of bullshit.

Comment

Because they are a nest of grasping ****s who would sanction two men fighting with broken bottles if the law and society permitted it.

Their greed isn't in question. The point is that there are real limits on what these people can and cannot allow. It's not no holds barred. It is possible to end this sort of bullshit.
                      The day the City of Las Vegas, Nevada puts morals over money. Good luck with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X