Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More irrelevant compubox or walking around weight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
    I agree with everything that you said except for that last part. I don't think that a fighter should ever spar anyone over two divisions larger than them. You can sustain life altering injuries in sparring just as in fights.
    Yea...it's not something I am usually thrilled to do, but it's more of like, "hey, get in there and work a few rounds", and I look up, and it's one of the trainers who used to fight pro at HW, and I'm like, "ok". You can't show fear in the gym, at least I can't, inside I might be like "fuaaaark..." but on the outside I can't erase that poker face. Don't want to come off as a coward lol, but my trainer and a few trainers out there will expose you to that kind of sparring.

Usually they tell the bigger guy to not throw will full steam but when you are sparring, for one, the trainers idea of 75% might differ from the guy throwing the punches....and even when the bigger or more skilled guy is handicapped, sometimes it doesn't matter - one time I was sparring a dude who was the same size but he was much more experienced than me and they told him to only throw jabs whereas me I was supposed to let my hands go and pressure him and give him activity, well it was all good for a round and a half but I started landing some hard straight rights he would try and slip and I kept catching him, so the next round he came out and landed two HARD counters when I would pull my straight right, and I said to myself "wtf dude, what happened to only jabs..." but I also knew that it was a good thing, because he wouldn't be throwing those hard shots if I hadn't "hurt" him in the last round, so it gave me confidence, even though I got tuned up that day, lol.

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
    you make a lot of good points....I can definitely tell the difference taking shots from someone walking around at my weight than someone who cut 15-20 pounds to get there

I made the decision to fight at 132 as opposed to 141....I never get sparring from guys my size anyway but its a lot different consistently fighting bigger men, it will use a fighter up

im 5'6.5" that's about average for a lightweight whereas at 141 most guys walk around at 160+ and are 5'8" and taller
    Good post bro.

I know we disagree 50% of the times but I will never question your love for the sport of boxing.

Comment

depends on the agenda

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
        Yea...it's not something I am usually thrilled to do, but it's more of like, "hey, get in there and work a few rounds", and I look up, and it's one of the trainers who used to fight pro at HW, and I'm like, "ok". You can't show fear in the gym, at least I can't, inside I might be like "fuaaaark..." but on the outside I can't erase that poker face. Don't want to come off as a coward lol, but my trainer and a few trainers out there will expose you to that kind of sparring.

Usually they tell the bigger guy to not throw will full steam but when you are sparring, for one, the trainers idea of 75% might differ from the guy throwing the punches....and even when the bigger or more skilled guy is handicapped, sometimes it doesn't matter - one time I was sparring a dude who was the same size but he was much more experienced than me and they told him to only throw jabs whereas me I was supposed to let my hands go and pressure him and give him activity, well it was all good for a round and a half but I started landing some hard straight rights he would try and slip and I kept catching him, so the next round he came out and landed two HARD counters when I would pull my straight right, and I said to myself "wtf dude, what happened to only jabs..." but I also knew that it was a good thing, because he wouldn't be throwing those hard shots if I hadn't "hurt" him in the last round, so it gave me confidence, even though I got tuned up that day, lol.

Good post bro.

I know we disagree 50% of the times but I will never question your love for the sport of boxing.

Thanks bro...we definitely disagree more or often than not but you know your shyte

That's what makes it worthwhile

Comment

Fight night weights can be taken with a pinch of salt also.
          Guys can refuse to get on the scales, others, if they can bothered, can get on in clothing ect.

Walking around/fight night weights, like Compubox, will be hated on sometimes yet used at other times by the same posters. They're usually agenda filler tools on here.

Comment

Originally posted by frantic fighter View Post
            You can't really make that judgement unless you have insight on how the guy's made weight in prior fights. We've seen Canelo,Chavez jr., and Peterson all be able to pack on weight without any apparent drawbacks. Hatton also made the cut from 185 to 140 throughout his fighting career.
            Personally, I've yet to see anything that would suggest that Alvarez becomes a fat **** in between fights.

Chavez Jr can't seem to get below 170lbs for his cut, and Hatton was basically physically done as a fighter by 30/early 30s

Comment

Working...
            X