No announcement yet.

Arum - Dubai 'set to host huge boxing show' in November - Loma/Walters and more

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HI-TECH Boxing View Post
    I still don't understand why Lomachenko is only fighting TWO times a year! I know that the Walters fight is important (unless Marriaga beats him on Saturday), but Lomachenko should realistically be staying active right now! He has to start building a name for himself, granted if he beats Walters he'll earn a lot of respect, but still he should be aiming to stay acitve. I wonder if it's his choice to only fight this much or if it's Arum with his BS.
    Well, it's because usually prospects fight regularly as they fight crap competition - I was thinking of this as a theory recently - I doubt Loma will fight more than 3 times a year due to the fact he isn't necessarily an up and comer anymore but more of a legit champ and since the fights will be tougher when they happen, they will be less frequent. Think about it this way - would you rather him fight 5 average opponents in a year, or 2-3 super fights like with Walters or Donaire or Selby etc.

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
    Also... what's the source of this?
    Nietes is the last Filipino champ (not counting Peltacorn) and people don't even know who he is... so if he got on this theoretical card, that'd be dope
    I got it from Loma's Facebook page. But the cited source where Arum apparently gave this interview or information is '7DAYS' - not familiar with it but yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine View Post
      Well, it's because usually prospects fight regularly as they fight crap competition - I was thinking of this as a theory recently - I doubt Loma will fight more than 3 times a year due to the fact he isn't necessarily an up and comer anymore but more of a legit champ and since the fights will be tougher when they happen, they will be less frequent. Think about it this way - would you rather him fight 5 average opponents in a year, or 2-3 super fights like with Walters or Donaire or Selby etc.

I got it from Loma's Facebook page. But the cited source where Arum apparently gave this interview or information is '7DAYS' - not familiar with it but yeah.
      Yeah, but he still has a lot to learn in the pros, a lot more! I'm not saying he should be fighting 5 times a year, but he should fight at least 3 preferably 4 times. The thing is, he's not getting super fights yet, Rodriguez was not a threat, if he's going to fight guys like Rodriguez from time to time he should fight more than twice.
      I just feel like he should stay active right now that he is young and could still do it and while he still has much to learn (use every fight as a learning experience).
      Last edited by HI-TECH Boxing; 06-09-2015, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 887
        trying to take the black man (Haymon) spot once again!!!

old ass dont wanna see no fresh blood in the promotional business!!!

it aint never change!!!!!!!!!
        LMAO, he left all of America to Hymen doe. If Hymen has 95% of the boxers and 95% of the networks, and his pick of virtually any venue in the states and still can't make it happen.....well, who can he blame but himself?

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
          That's a strong card from top to bottom, so I'm doubtful.

Comment

Manny will miraculously be healed by then. Vargas vs pac incoming

Comment

Originally posted by PainfromUkraine
              Dubai to host a huge boxing show in November, confirms Bob Arum.
              Dubai is set to host to a huge night of championship boxing after Top Rank Promotions chief Bob Arum revealed plans are in motion for a show to take place in November.

The influential American promoter plans to stage three world title fights on a card that would feature a total of seven bouts.

Quote:

"We want to hold a spectacular show in Dubai as it is a city that so far has been untapped when it comes to boxing, Arum told 7DAYS.
              Ideally we will look to stage an event every three months but to start with we are looking at a date in November."

Quote:

The show will feature at least three world title fights and we should be able to reveal the full card very soon. But the winner of Tim Bradley and Jessie Vargas [which takes place on June 27] will definitely feature.
              We are also in talks to stage a fight for the WBO super middleweight title which Arthur Abraham will defend in July against Robert Stieglitz.

The vastly experienced promoter also hopes to stage a huge bout between former amateur great, and Top Rank fighter, Vasyl Lomachenko and the hugely entertaining Jamaican Nicholas Walters.

Walter has emerged of one of the hottest talents in the sport since crushing Nonito Donaire in six rounds, while Lomachenko made history by winning a world title in just his second professional bout.

Arum had originally hoped that Filipino legend Manny Pacquiao could also feature on the first Dubai card. But after damaging his shoulder in preparation for his clash with Floyd Mayweather, and subsequently undergoing surgery, the eight-weight world champion is unlikely to fight until 2016.

Quote:

"Manny has already agreed to fight in Dubai, said Arum. His advisors have visited the region and were overwhelmed to hear of the support he has from the Filipino community."

Quote:

"We heard how every restaurant, cinema and hotel was packed with Pacquiao supporters when he fought Mayweather so we know a show with Manny in Dubai would be huge."

Quote:

"It will take a lot of rehab but his team are very optimistic that he will be able to return from the injury. I will be going to the Philippines soon to check on his progress but we hope he will be ready to go next year."

While Pacquiao's injury rules him out of the Dubai show, another Filipino great could have the chance to regain a world title in the emirate. Arum hopes to match five-division world champion Donaire against WBA super bantamweight champion Scott Quigg.

Donaire will be in action on July 18 against Anthony Settoul in Macau, a region of China that staged several world title clashes, thanks in large to Arum.
              We have already done eight shows in Macau and it really has become a great destination for big fights, explained the promoter, who first began working in boxing back in 1965.

Quote:

"I always look to explore new regions and feel we can do something similar in Dubai to what we have achieved in Macau. I know there is a lot of interest in the Middle East and I've been intrigued with Dubai ever since visiting the city when my good friend Sol Kerzner opened the Atlantis hotel."

"That's why I am confident that we will be able to host shows every three months and that the biggest names in boxing will feature on the fight cards."

Arum has tasked long-time friend and former Top Rank vice president M.Akbar Muhammad with bringing big-time boxing to Dubai and confirmed that the November show is likely to take place at the Hamdan Sports Complex.

Potential Fight Card:

WBA international welterweight title
              Sadam Ali vs Tim Bradley/Jessie Vargas

WBA and WBO world featherweight titles
              Vasyl Lomachenko vs Nicholas Walters

WBA super bantamweight title
              Scott Quigg vs Nonito Donaire

WBO super-middleweight title
              Gilberto Rodriguez vs Arthur Abraham/Robert Stieglitz
              WBO world light flyweight title
              Donnie Nietes vs TBC

Thoughts?

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by HanzGruber View Post
                Manny will miraculously be healed by then. Vargas vs pac incoming
                Bradley is going to beat that man silly. He said they are going to have to rob him at gun point to take this win away. Vargas has a lazy right and a low left hook to the body that Bradley has noticed. I heard he's been working on the counter straight rights like he landed on Pac early in the fight because he said he wants to get at least one or two KDs on top of boxing him up to make sure he gets the victory.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
                  Bradley is going to beat that man silly. He said they are going to have to rob him at gun point to take this win away. Vargas has a lazy right and a low left hook to the body that Bradley has noticed. I heard he's been working on the counter straight rights like he landed on Pac early in the fight because he said he wants to get at least one or two KDs on top of boxing him up to make sure he gets the victory.
                  Arum loves vargas. Tim served his purpose to bob. If floyd didn't fight pac in May vargas would have

Comment

Working...
                  X