Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does it come a time where a fighter destroys his legacy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does it come a time where a fighter destroys his legacy?

Now i know you cant erase accomplishments(titles won etc,etc)but when you start losing to club fighters and getting knocked down and out left and right year after year,does that not eventually effect your legacy??Cause now getting layed out and losing becomes part of your legacy........when does the bad effect the good on your legacy?

Reference Roy Jones Jr

Comment

Legacy is a pretty general and ambiguous term

Comment

never for me but there are alot of people who rip atheletes at a certain point. Ill never forget there greatness though and that legacy wont change for me. How can a guy like Roy Jones legacy change for me when I know he's losing to guys who couldnt hold his jock in his prime? Its not like IDK that so why would I count that against his legacy?

Comment

Yep. It's ambiguous. Boxing is about storylines. The backstory is everything in boxing. That's how we know to appreciate guys like Glen Johnson. Is it possible people 20 years from now will think Johnson was a **** fighter because of boxrec?

IMO no.

The storylines of boxing have the afterlife.

Even though I tend to disagree pretty strongly, most of the fans and most of the media seem to give Roy Jones a huge pass for his third stage reactor meltdown and destruction.

In related news; Roy was all confidence.

Comment

If legacy is based on boxrec then it will get destroyed. If you were alive to witness the fighters career or make an effort to watch him in his prime years then it will never be destroyed.

If boxrec determined legacies, Spinks, Holmes and Berbick would have destroyed Ali's legacy.

Comment

A fighter ruins his legacy when he gets exposed, I.E destroyed by a fighter in their physical prime. You could argue that this applies to fighter like Bute, his record against cab drivers has been revealed for what it after Froch spanked that ass.

For fighters like Roy Jones Jr. it is not going to occur as we all know what he was capable of in his prime. The only people who'd argue that his resume has been tarnished or the people that would question his abilities based on his present fighters are the type of individual I try to ignore.

Comment

well it might not destroy them but it raises question about their achievements, once roy started increasing his level of opposition he got koed, once trinidad started facing slick boxers he got embarrased etc....
                but guys like ali or duran who were proven time and time agains can never have their legacies destroyed

Comment

U ruin it when u take it to its highest level and then stop fighting the top guys around ur division... More specifically, the guys people actually want to see u fight

Losing when out of ur prime does nothing to hurt ur legacy

Comment

Taking PEDs ruins a fighter's legacy much worse than any loss does. They take the step from professional boxer to reckless criminal.

Comment

Working...
                    X