No announcement yet.

How key is the mental side of boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How key is the mental side of boxing?

I'm thinking specifically in regard to Khan/Prescott when one fighter is in reality levels about the other. However the less-skilled inflicted a true first-class beating in just 54-seconds.

Khan should be able to beat Prescott most of the time, surely?

However, I find it hard to come up with a reasoned argument for why it should be difficult - I'm not a boxer and haven't dealt with it.

The closest I have come to the Khan experience is getting KTFO by a cupboard falling on my head when I was reaching in to get a biscuit when I was a child. I'm not scared of biscuits.....or cupboards.

seems to be a very important aspect cause if you are not mentally strong you cannot endure adverse situations and also maybe you end up like Dirrell

Comment

Sometimes the mental side can be more important than the actual skills you need to box.

Comment

my god..skills are skills anyone can go thru the motions..boxing is mostly mental..if a fighter lacks confidence it will show in the ring,the brain is the most powerful muscle in your body..you'd be amazed what a man can simply will himself thru

Comment

you can have the skill to beat a man..but if your brain has you second guessing yourself then you cant display your skills

Comment

Considering how close the majority of professional boxers are in terms of skills, athletic ability, and natural talent, the mental aspect is the most important aspect.

Comment

All the skills in the world will not save you if you are not all there mentaly. I've seen it in person too many times.

Comment

Originally posted by bob marley View Post
                you can have the skill to beat a man..but if your brain has you second guessing yourself then you cant display your skills
                This right here ^

Comment

i'm an amateur fighter. the mental side aspect is the most important in boxing.
                  i see it as three aspects - technical (skills and talent which you are taught), physical (your strength, stamina, power, speed, fitness, speed etc which you improve with training), and the mental (your bravery, concentration, aggression, determination, motivation, calm under pressure etc. which has to come from inside yourself).

if you have all 3 together at once, you are golden. however, if you have only one, you always need the mental aspect to succeed, so i'd choose that over the other two every time.

a fighter who is fully focused mentally, but technically inferior to his opponent, beats a fighter who is talented and skilful but not mentally focused every time.

without mental strength, you cannot succeed in boxing.

Comment

[QUOTE=apollocreed;9978461]

a fighter who is fully focused mentally, but technically inferior to his opponent, beats a fighter who is talented and skilful but not mentally focused every time.

[QUOTE]

Not true............

(To the thread starter) The mental make up of a fighter is a HUGE factor on fight night aswell as while the fighter is going through the training for the fight. Boxing is a precise and brutal sport, lack of focus can get you hurt very quickly. Eyes are trained during training camp to pick up the minute movements that tell what an opponent is doing. Having a clouded mind is not the way to walk into a fight. Thats why fighters go away to camp. To get away from the *****ing girlfriends or wives, to get away from the neighborhood where there will always be some drama popping up and in general to just get away so the fighter will be focused from the time he wakes up, through the training day and to the time he rests in bed. Tunnel vision man, one man to beat......... one single goal, one thought............Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                    X