No announcement yet.

Dana White: Brock Lesnars Fate,

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White: Brock Lesnars Fate,

Heavyweight division's future decided in next week.

LAS VEGAS – Although Brock Lesnar's camp has been mum on the UFC heavyweight champion's health status and a mystery ailment that's kept him out of competition since July, some answers could come in the next week.

In a small conference with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) and a few other outlets following UFC 108's pre-event presser on Wednesday, White reiterated his earlier claims that Lesnar's health problems could be career-ending.

He also said a rumored UFC 111 matchup between Shane Carwin and Frank Mir – one with possible title implications – is likely to happen.

That fight, which is expected to take place March 27 in Newark, N.J., could earn the winner an interim title (or even the regular belt) depending on Lesnar's diagnosis. White "thinks it's going to happen" but wouldn't elaborate on any title implications.

However, White anticipates getting some clarity on both Lesnar's future and the future of the heavyweight division soon.

"We'll know this week," he said. "I think Brock's going to the doctor this week, and we'll know how this thing is going to go – whether it's over.

"It could be career-ending for him."

In November, Lesnar underwent what White classified as a "minor surgery" to treat a case of diverticulitis. But the UFC boss has continually stated that Lesnar has been diagnosed with additional issues as well, though he said he refuses to reveal the nature of the problems to protect the champion's privacy.

And though Lesnar's camp recently denied they took up the UFC's offer to send the former WWE superstar to the Mayo Clinic, White insists he did go.

"He did go to the Mayo Clinic," White said earlier this month. "You can't listen to him. You've got to listen to me. He's never going to tell you what's going on. You know how he is; he doesn't want anybody to know.

"You guys talked to him, apparently, and he tells you something different. I keep telling him, 'Brock, I have to be honest about it. I'm not going to lie to everybody about it.' But there's only so much that I can tell you (the media)."

If Lesnar, who's already proven one of the UFC's biggest pay-per-view draws and marketable stars, is sidelined indefinitely, the division will go on without him. Luckily for the UFC, two key upcoming matchups could get the heavyweight title picture in order rather quickly.

Next month, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-5-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Cain Velasquez (7-0 MMA, 5-0 UFC) headline UFC 110 in Australia. Although currently scheduled as a three-round fight, it could be changed to a championship five-rounder since the competitors would have a month-and-a-half notice. Additionally, Carwin (11-0 MMA, 3-0 UFC) recently said he's agreed to the March fight with Mir (13-4 MMA, 11-4 UFC), and though it's expected to be for an interim heavyweight belt, that, too, could change based on what Lesnar's told.

Of course, if Lesnar is unlikely to return anytime soon, the other two bouts could even serve as a mini-tournament with the winners of Nogueira vs. Velasquez and Carwin vs. Mir meeting sometime this summer for the vacant belt.

But that all hinges on Lesnar's health. White, of course, has his preference.

"We hope to see Lesnar back in the cage," he said. "He still has a lot to accomplish."
Working...
X