Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My theory on punching power, right or wrong?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
    Without stating it out right you just explained why Joe Louis is the best technical and most proficient heavy of all time.

Punching power comes from the floor up to the hand. Who has heavy hands or the best technique or fastest hands has a lot to do with power.
    Many times the position a fighter gets himself to in regards to distance often adds power.

Lots of variables to consider, accuracy is a big part of it too!
    Ray
    Was it you that posted about standing very close to the heavy bag being the best way to develop power? I think I remember you talking about that before.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
      Was it you that posted about standing very close to the heavy bag being the best way to develop power? I think I remember you talking about that before.
      Well that would put more pressure on your muscles and build them stronger

Comment

Nature > Technique obviously.

Otherwise Malignaggi would not be a feather-fisted fighter anymore after years of punching professionally.

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post

Otherwise Malignaggi would not be a feather-fisted fighter anymore after years of punching professionally.
          That's complete bull****. He doesn't set his shoulders to punch. I also rarely see him have his wrist/forearm and elbow c0cked. Ray Leonard is the best puncher of all time when it comes to generating power this way, even in arm punches.

The only thing that matters is weight and technique to transfer that weight to a punch. Yes people can do this naturally better than others but punching is not some divine gift.
          Last edited by StillHereBro; 01-02-2015, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sargo View Post

Paulie's hands are fucked afaik.

Comment

It's a bit of both, I think of it like a golf swing. Brute strength, speed and flexibility etc help, but you still need the right technique and everything in sync to get real power.

A lot of guys like Paulie don't really want to hit hard, he probably figured out early he wasn't a natural hard puncher so just worked on other things.

Comment

Many pros have been asked this. They've all answered pretty much the same.

Good technique does help but mostly some people are just born with it.

Comment

Originally posted by jrrod02 View Post
                  Many pros have been asked this. They've all answered pretty much the same.

Good technique does help but mostly some people are just born with it.
                  Gerry was obviously born with it but couldn't hit with his right hand, so your idea is too simple to explain the dynamic and answer the question

Comment

Originally posted by StillHereBro View Post
                    That's complete bull****. He doesn't set his shoulders to punch. I also rarely see him have his wrist/forearm and elbow c0cked. Ray Leonard is the best puncher of all time when it comes to generating power this way, even in arm punches.

The only thing that matters is weight and technique to transfer that weight to a punch. Yes people can do this naturally better than others but punching is not some divine gift.
                    Yeah you know boxing better than a pro we actually talk about.

Comment

Working...
                    X