Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mannyman View Post
    I spar with my coach quite often. He's the former WBO & IBO cruiserweight titleist. He's got 20 years on me and although I'm in decent shape and pretty quick he kicks my arse. It's difficult really, as I probably show him too much respect (which he's earned). Anyhow, he's in great condition and is still able to box my head off!
    Mate i'm in the same situation, my trainer is 58 and i've never seen anyone get the better of him. He seems to be able to keep that extra few inches away to miss your punches and that extra few inches inside to crowd your punches ust enough so that you can't get them off very well. He doesn't look like much at all but we like to say that he has a 3rd hand, you can't see it coming. Just goes to show that experience can mean everything.

Comment

I did!

Two rounds

Fisrt round I was quite ok, but the guy was simply testing me by exposing himself. Of course, he was covered, but I looked more active.

In the second round he figured me out, so I was basically running, defending until I got sever body shot. Fight was over

Comment

No i havnt sparred a pro. When we use to spar as amatures and i had the great opportunity to train alongside national champs, we sparred with 12oz gloves all the time. It was no joke, was a bit sad that i got into boxing late compared to the other guys coz they where so ahead of me and had a lot to catch up. I personally wouldnt like sparring with 16oz too big and makes me feel like am hitting all over the place, harder to pin point target areas.

Comment

Yes, I did

I sparred with many top fighters back in NYC in the seventies. Most took it easy on me and I learned a lot. There were only one or two *******s who had to prove that a pro can beat an amateur. Avoid them. Don't be anyone's punching bag and if your trainer allows it....find a new trainer....one that cares about your brain cells.

Comment

Working...
          X