Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The British Empire at its peak... Where does it rank?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mikhnienko View Post
    Care to explain what WW2 has to do with the British Empire or that era? When you stated they had never been conquered i didn't correct you because i assumed you were talking about that specific era. Seems that you're just cherry picking whatever fits your assertion instead.

When you brought up Germany i even helped your weak argument by bringing up their success in a earlier era 3 C.E. - 8 C.E. which was their most successful and influential period but also noted that if you're going to be bringing that earlier period up then the Angles and Saxons along with the Normans would obviously have to be included in relation to England.

As for your personal remark its amusing and ironic considering that you never cease with your constant attention whoring posting pics and vids and whetever else you do to aquire attention on here, lets not FORGET YOUR CONSTANT CAPS. The only poster that is as feminine with their behaviour on here is Boss Lady.
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. What does the British Empire have to do with WW2, or that era?!

LOL. . JUST LOL. . Oh wow. . .

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Empire

British Empire was very much in effect during WW2. Like I said - it's arguably what started the fall of not only the British empire, but all European colonies, and further conquest. . .

I'm not cherrypicking anything. It's a known fact that Germany conquered (i.e. they had control) over a lot of inland Europe during WW2 (once again, check your history - during the era of the British Empire).

It seems you are the one who is trying to change definitions to detract from your clear ignorance of European history.

I said England had never been conquered during the era of THE BRITISH EMPIRE - which is what this thread is discussing That's all, thanks!
      Everything you mentioned in your last two posts has already been stated in this thread by other posters while trying to define what exactly your argument is.

An empires military strength at it's peak compared to cultural legacies are two very different things and your thread title alludes to the first one yet you've been discussing their legacy in alot of your posts.

You posting a wikipedia link has convinced me of your extensive knowledge on the subject don't worry.

As for Germany..

Regardless of that i don't think territorial gains for a couple years within a half decade period during a World War qualifies for what we're talking about here.
      That was a series of battles that they won during a world war, a war they ended up losing along with all their brief territorial gains. The way i see it an empire wasn't established since they never won the war or ruled over the people they supposedly conquered during peace time.
      Last edited by Mikhnienko; 10-06-2012, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Everything you mentioned in your last two posts has already been stated in this thread by other posters while trying to define what exactly your argument is.

An empires military strength at it's peak compared to cultural legacies are two very different things and your thread title alludes to the first one yet you've been discussing their legacy in alot of your posts.

You posting a wikipedia link has convinced me of your extensive knowledge on the subject don't worry.

As for Germany..

That was a series of battles that they won during a world war, a war they ended up losing along with all their brief territorial gains.

WIkipedia link was posted because you did not know what WW2 had to do with the British Empire. . Hell, you didn't even know the British Empire was still in existence during WW2.

So I posted such a basic, sop****ric, rudimentary link-source to help you have some sort of basic understanding of the British Empire, and the time period the British Empire encompassed.

Comment

I never alluded to, or specified anything in what determines the most powerful empire in history; I gave my opinion, and I want to hear other opinions.

I simply posited the question, and listed criteria as to why I think certain empires were so powerful.

If lasting cultural effects (including linguistics) of the empire dominate to the current day, well, that would be one indication of the empire's greatness, and legacy.

And yet another indication would be their military prowess at the time of its existence.

Some other factors: Land amassed, and geopolitical savvy as applied to trade like another poster mentioned with the East-India Trading Company.

I did not list any criteria which you are limited to in making your argument; I just posited the question, and gave my reasons. The scope of what defines the ranking of the empires is purely subjective, and opinionated. I simply hoped to generate some interesting discussion, and arguments for all the empires that I listed, and any other(s) various posters might mention.
          Last edited by UglyPug; 10-06-2012, 03:00 AM.

Comment

It really depends on the criteria. For instance, Genghis Khan is perhaps the most successful conqueror of all time. I wouldn't say the Mongol Empire ranks too highly however, as it didn't sustain for too long. The Roman Empire is pretty highly ranked surely. A good case could be made that the Chinese Empire dwarfs the others. China is the longest continuously inhabited area of the world, and the west paled in comparison for centuries in terms of technology, living standards, economic activity, etc. It has been strongly argued (see Immanuel Walerstein for instance) that it was the West's deficiencies which launched it on the path of conquest. It wasn't really until the 19th century that the West overtook China (punctuated by the Opium Wars--although they had already been nipping at China before this).

Also, in terms of cultural influence, China is probably second to none. China greatly influenced the Asian countries that surround it.

Comment

Originally posted by UglyPug View Post
              BWHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA. What does the British Empire have to do with WW2, or that era?!

LOL. . JUST LOL. . Oh wow. . .
              I was discussing WWII in relation to your comment about Germany's supposed conquests and your classification of it as an empire during WWII which i gave my opinion on. My discussion of the British Empire was in relation to it during its peak that is the era im referring to, unless you're claiming that WWII was their peak?

Comment

The British Empire was a different type of empire. They did not rule with a huge military. The empire was not centrally administered. Much of it was in fact privatized (hence, the East India Company, etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by Capaedia View Post
                  And the UK's nuclear arsenal.

Or said countries utter inability to 'attack them outright'.

But hey, thats cool too.
                  I didn't mean it man, it reads a sick joke.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Comment

I was discussing WWII in relation to your remark about Germany's supposed conquests and your classification of it as an empire during WWII which i gave my opinion on. My discussion of the British Empire was in relation to it during its peak that is the era im referring to, unless you're claiming that WWII was their peak?

LOL.. The only reason I even mentioned Germany had conquered a lot of inland Europe, is because you didn't seem to know that it did. . .

The British Empire was actually at its peak not long before WW2. It was still very powerful, and very influential at the time WW2 broke out, though.

You said "What does WW2 have to do with the British Empire (a lot, actually), and 'The British Empire did not exist then.'" Pure ignorance.

Obviously you don't even know enough to partake in this thread, and you're trying to redefine what you "meant." . . Please, see yourself out now; you've embarrassed yourself enough.

Comment

Back to discussion, though.

The British Empire had amassed more land, but there were also other European empires who were very large, and powerful.

It's just amazing how much land British Empire amassed, and how spread out they were. They didn't say "the sun never sets on the British Empire" for nothing. . .

What about the Egyptian Empire? I'm not very knowledgeable about the totality of their empire. . . And I haven't heard a lot of discussion regarding the Greek Empire either? Their defeat of both the Egyptian, and Persian Empires was very impressive. Myself, being the product of ancient Macedonian conquerors, am very interested in their empire.

Comment

Working...
                      X