Collapse
No announcement yet.

The education thread show a vid and tell us what to look for

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still can't believe they didn't run the ball...smh...

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      In 1989 i wondered why Canadian 1988 Olympic Champion Lennox Lewis was turning professional in the UK, not Canada or the USA. it was a very smart move by Lennox which not many people picked up on. Lennox was starting out in his pro career and wanted as smooth a run as possible to a world title. If he turned pro in his native Canada, he had the rugged Trevor Berbick to fight. most likely within his first 10 pro fights. if he accepted the big money offers on his table to turn pro in the USA, he had Riddick Bowe & many other pro fighters to face before a world title fight. Here in the UK Lennox only had Gary Mason & Frank Bruno to deal with on his way to world honours. The European Union had absolutely nothing to scare Lennox, so he accepted the UK. Trevor Berbick who wrestled the title off Pinklon Thomas was "No Slouch" he was a rough, tough, strong guy who was a handful for any young upcoming fighter. Could Trevor Berbick have derailed Lennox Lewis in the 1990-1992 period?.. most definitely Yes!.. Berbick made the mistake of standing in front of Mike Tyson and fighting him.
      And he would have gotten starched if he had stood in front of Lewis....And Lewis was more than happy to fight another Canadian fighter known as Razor Ruddock...Take your Lewis haterade and shove it up thy rectum.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
        The thread is about techniques that make fighters great...its designed to present proof of contentions people have about the skills of historically great fighters. Thats why it was made, not to discuss training methods. There are guys who use tape to show many things, among them how practice turns into application, how a technique should be executed, etc. the purpose here is to demonstrate various assertions. For example, when some idiot like Leroy call marciano a primitive brawler one cand plainly see him slipping jabs, counter punching, using angles, controlling distance and using a full array of punches.

And nobody is forced to present tape, if one is lazy so be it. But its nice to show proof. I for one would be very interested to see any proof of a heavyweight from Tyson on, with the ability to slip jabs, fight at all ranges, counter punch and using angles. And James Toney does not count!!
        In regards to your last paragraph ,, I think only holyfield from 88-91 could fit your description or maybe chris Byrd... If toney doesn't count, then probably roy jones doesn't either...

Comment

one thing I learned to look for is what fighters use that works, and what looks aesthetically pleasing.

Moving around all slick and dodging punches might work well for a fast fighter, but moving in close and staying there for 15 rounds might work just as well and use half the same amount of stamina.

loading up from left field might pack a wallop but if you always hit the blunt side of an opponent it won't ever hurt him. short punches may not be harder but they may be the equivalent and they have a much higher chance of landing accurately

determination plays a huge role in boxing, in the era of HD just the look on a fighters face tells a story if it will be a long night or a short one.

some fighters pack a big punch because they have thick wrists, one reason for this is the ability to put all your effort into a punch without worrying about how it lands. Guys like Rocky and Foreman were able to do this.

fighters that "ride the punches" often credited with great chins, but this form of defense is age old and was used by counter punchers, the hands were always free to capitalize on openings.

the difference between a good body shot and a less effective one all depends on when the shot is landed. If it lands while he is prepared and flexing his core, it's far less effective. If the opponent isn't expecting it and takes it relaxed..he'll likely go down for the count.

If the fighter has a good chin, hit his eyes so they get irritated and swell up, then he can't see the punches and will be less prepared to absorb them (lex the neck, or core etc)

good counter punchers make the opponent miss by mere inches, allowing them to remain balanced and send one home right away

some fighters are fast but they telegraph everything, giving away a lot of the advantages they gain from speed. Some fighters are slower but have great technique and have minimal telegraphing.

Comment

Also, if someone has a good chin, landing a few good body shots could also be a solution and alternative to hurting such an opponent.

Comment

Ill get things started. This video is one of my favorites. it shows, despite popular misconceptions, that Marciano was not only methodical but a much better defensive fighter than he is credited with being.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b0yHvw-vW0

As the film creator says "While not a defensive fighter Marciano was an excellent counter puncher and had defensive skills." I would add that Marciano's ability to slip punches was excellent.
              good post on Marciano. he was never a defensive genius but he did some subtle things on defense that tend to go unnoticed if you don't watch carefully. obviously he wouldn't have gone 49-0 without some defensive ability despite the weak era he fought in

Comment

And he would have gotten starched if he had stood in front of Lewis....And Lewis was more than happy to fight another Canadian fighter known as Razor Ruddock...Take your Lewis haterade and shove it up thy rectum.
                Well Bill, im not surprised in the least at your reply. it is the same old reply you post every single time Lennox inabilities are put up for discussion. you play the old "Hate Card" rather than have it discussed, you do this because you know that you are on a loser, you know that what is put in front of you to discuss, is true and you cannot deny it or refute it. So your only option is to label the poster as a "Hater or Troll"... Well you leave me no other option but to answer my question for you. In all honesty i will make it short and sweet. Lennox would hit the canvas quicker than what Trevor Berbick did.

Razor Ruddock was Damaged Goods the night he fought Lewis, after two brutal beatings from Mike Tyson. who broke Ruddock's cheak-bone and eye-socket. Ruddock never threw a single punch against Lewis (i was there) The fight had been knocked out of him in the Tyson fights. In fact Lewis was odds-on favorite to beat Ruddock, which proves my point.
                Last edited by sonnyboyx2; 03-08-2015, 03:54 AM.

Comment

More Mike Tyson Hatred from you jeeeezz

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                    In 1989 i wondered why Canadian 1988 Olympic Champion Lennox Lewis was turning professional in the UK, not Canada or the USA. it was a very smart move by Lennox which not many people picked up on. Lennox was starting out in his pro career and wanted as smooth a run as possible to a world title. If he turned pro in his native Canada, he had the rugged Trevor Berbick to fight. most likely within his first 10 pro fights. if he accepted the big money offers on his table to turn pro in the USA, he had Riddick Bowe & many other pro fighters to face before a world title fight. Here in the UK Lennox only had Gary Mason & Frank Bruno to deal with on his way to world honours. The European Union had absolutely nothing to scare Lennox, so he accepted the UK.
                    That's one view of it - I would offer another view;

Maloney had a blank cheque book with which to sign Lewis - it was blank because Maloney was the front man for Rodger Levitt's furore into sport - so Lewis did the wise thing financially - which he did throughout his career - and took the largest offer on the table.

Lewis had emigrated from the UK at a young age so had that angle to play with - I believe his father lived in the UK - so it was not alien to him.

On his career prospects, do you honestly believe if he had signed with one of the major US promoters his initial career matching would of been different/tougher?

Comment

Originally posted by joeandthebums View Post
                      That's one view of it - I would offer another view;

Maloney had a blank cheque book with which to sign Lewis - it was blank because Maloney was the front man for Rodger Levitt's furore into sport - so Lewis did the wise thing financially - which he did throughout his career - and took the largest offer on the table.

Lewis had emigrated from the UK at a young age so had that angle to play with - I believe his father lived in the UK - so it was not alien to him.

On his career prospects, do you honestly believe if he had signed with one of the major US promoters his initial career matching would of been different/tougher?
                      Some good points here Joe, But i must disagree with you on, "Lewis did the wise thing financially throughout his career"... Lewis accepted $3 million step-a-side money, when he could have had a guaranteed title shot and $14 million payday. Lewis turned down £10 million to fight Bowe in 1995. Lewis turned down $30 million+ to face Vitali in a rematch.... Lewis portrayed himself as an Englishman but never actually returned to live in these shores. However i feel Trevor Berbick would have posed a very difficult proposition for Lewis during 1989-93 had he turned pro in his own Country of Canada.

Comment

Working...
                      X