No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez - pronounced how?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Strictly_UG View Post
    I don't really give a **** about pronunciation, everybody has a different accent any way.
    Yea, but I want to know specifically how Argies or Martinez himself pronounces it. Not other Spanish-speakers. Plus, I dig accents/dialects of any lingo - the variety is great.

Comment

S as in saturday

E as in ahead

R as in Terrible Morales pronounced by Michael Buffer

G as in hole (so so)

I as in heel

O as in crop
      Last edited by FromBA; 09-17-2013, 01:29 PM.

Comment

"Yu-Gi-Oh Mah-Penis" IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by FromBA View Post
          S as in saturday

E as in ahead

R as in Terrible Morales pronounced by Michael Buffer

G as in hole (so so)

I as in heel

O as in crop
          So "Serr-hee-ohh". Exactly how I've pronounced it for years.

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
            How do Argies pronounce the name Sergio? Is it "Ser-gee-oh", "Ser-jee-ohh" or "Ser-hee-oh"? I seem to hear the 2nd one a lot, especially by broadcasters, but I also remember hearing something about the 3rd one being native.

(And yes, I know that they speak a funny kinda Italian-sounding dialect of Spanish in Argentina.)
            G is "he" in spanish always. I hope you aren't trolling by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
              G is "he" in spanish always. I hope you aren't trolling by the way.
              Nah man, see my posts above - I've always been interested in languages. And I'm a Martinez supporter, so it was something that came to mind.

Comment

There are lots of foreign names, places, things that are pronounced differently by English speakers.

They can pronounced Italy well, but not Iraq, for example. Padilla is pronounced Pa diya. Castillo, Cas tiyo. Donaire is really not Do nayre, but Do nye re...

Comment

Originally posted by Cgarcia View Post
                  Donaire is really not Do nayre, but Do nye re...
                  That's something I picked up from Lupe Contreras - he's a badass announcer! I love the way he says "Quien es el maaaas Machoooo?"

Many years ago I used to think it was Doņaire with the squiggly N, as in "Don-yeer".

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                    How do Argies pronounce the name Sergio? Is it "Ser-gee-oh", "Ser-jee-ohh" or "Ser-hee-oh"? I seem to hear the 2nd one a lot, especially by broadcasters, but I also remember hearing something about the 3rd one being native.

(And yes, I know that they speak a funny kinda Italian-sounding dialect of Spanish in Argentina.)
                    sair he oh
                    is about closest i can think of if you want a spanish(argentine) pronunciation
                    and really dont go on the way broadcasters pronounce foreign names, they aint got a damn clue, especially the english commentators. theyre getting paid to say these guys names, they could at least spend 5 minutes asking and practicing before making a tit of themselves

Comment

sare
                      hee
                      ohh

sergio.

Comment

Working...
                      X