Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jesus got my back. Ill be cripwalking past the pearly gates.

Comment

• Accept Islam for your salvation.

Comment

• Originally posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
        It's based upon the fact that we are all sinners and need a Savior, the God sent His Son to earth to die for our sins and if you accept Him you will be forgiven when you stand before God and give an account of your life here. This life is indeed a test.
        It sounds like a snake oil scam. I have something wrong with me (I'm a sinner) that is only detectable by God but luckily God has a product he can provide me with that will fix me and all I have to do is kiss his ass...

And the product doesn't work unless I die.

Comment

• No one told you to go die. The bible promises that WHEN you die if you accept Jesus Christ, you will be saved. It's an awesome deal.

Comment

• The elevata

Comment

• Originally posted by xfrodobagginsx View Post
              No one told you to go die. The bible promises that WHEN you die if you accept Jesus Christ, you will be saved. It's an awesome deal.
              But your reward doesn't happen until you die. And dying, especially dying a horrible horrible death, is afforded an elevated position.

Comment

• Best way to get to heaven is.... DRINK.

When you drink, you get drunk.
                When you get drunk, you go to sleep.
                When you go to sleep, you don't sin.
                When you don't sin, you go to heaven.

So let's all drink and go to heaven. Drink to death I may add.

Comment

• Originally posted by nelsoncm View Post
                  Best way to get to heaven is.... DRINK.

When you drink, you get drunk.
                  When you get drunk, you go to sleep.
                  When you go to sleep, you don't sin.
                  When you don't sin, you go to heaven.

So let's all drink and go to heaven. Drink to death I may add.
                  But drunkenness is a sin. Unless your name is Noah. Or Lot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Anomaly View Post
                    That passage is a strange one. Children are easily led, and are vunerable niave. Doing as they are told and taught not to question authority.
                    Children do as they wish and need supervision, they dont understand how to look after themselves.
                    This is surely not the way adults should be?
                    Bob,
                    I'm not sure if you're looking to argue or sincerely interested. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and discuss this just a bit further if you'd like.

It's tough to imagine ourselves as like you said 'easily led', 'vulnerable', 'naive', 'submissive', and 'dependent' as adults. Growing up and maturing is ALL ABOUT getting past those things.

But Jesus wouldn't have said it if it didn't contrast our way as adults.
                    We grow up, mature, and begin to rule our own lives.
                    But the WHOLE concept of God ruling your life goes against that.
                    It's passing the scepter of your life to God.

The guy who started this thread (froddo) is partly right. The Bible is good preparation for dying yes. But that alone is incomplete.
                    The Word is ALSO good for LIVING. For now - not just LATER.

Because of our past we grow up learning philosophies, we're influenced by peers, we form our own theologies, beliefs, and creeds. We latch onto philosophies that best match the way we live, and hold onto them to defend the way we think and act.

But imagine setting all of that aside to simply learn what Jesus meant in all his teachings. It would require you to be 'easily led', 'vulnerable', 'naive', 'submissive', and 'dependent' as an adult.

It's uncomfortable, because alot of what Jesus taught goes against our very nature. For example: he teaches to forgive and pray for your enemies.
                    It doesn't matter who you are, or how good of person you are. That's a hard thing to do for ANYONE.

But if the 'scepter' is in your hand you'll do what you want to do, if it's in HIS hand, you'll do what pleases Him.

It's tough to accept, I know, and more difficult to consistently live it out. Which is why you'll ALWAYS spot hypocrites. But the Christian lifestyle is something you strive for, not something you master easily.

Originally posted by Bob Anomaly View Post
                    Jesus purposefully spoke so that no one would understand??
                    What about those who werent eager to learn BECAUSE they didnt understand? That seems to be the problem most of the time. People ask "why should i read the bible?"
                    Skepticism IMO is a healthy part of inquiry and intelligence.
                    There's a difference between wanting to satisfy your skepticism and inquiring because you're eager to understand. Which are you?

If you want to satisfy your skepticism. Stop reading this and start listening more to 'squealpiggy'. He'll give you MANY more rebuttals to your satisfaction.

But if there's any ounce of curiosity, let me save you any possible suspense. NOONE, not me, or any other 'Believer' will ever argue you into believing. EVER! There is NOTHING I can say that will suddenly make you believe.

The gospel is built on faith. When you ask God to help you understand, you flip your thinking from "let me find reasons why this ISN'T real" to "let me find reasons why this IS real".

If you're a skeptic waiting for a miraculous sign, you'll be waiting a long time.
                    Even Jesus didn't satisfy skeptics of His day when they would ask Him to perform miracles so that they could believe:
                    "Then some of the [teachers] of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."
                    He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! None will be given it..." Matthew 12:38-39

Again, listen to all the posts before & after this one, and you'll find reasons to satisfy your skepticism, but consider the alternative.

If there was 100% certainty of contacting God, would you want it?

Did you know Christ said:
                    "No one comes to [God] except through me." John 14:6

Was he Lying? Crazy? or was He telling the Truth?
                    What if you entertain thoughts of Jesus and His teachings,
                    What did He say and teach? "If I opened my Bible to the book of Matthew, and read about His life, how could it POSSIBLY be relevant to ME today?"

Alot of people don't want anything to do with these things for lots of reasons INCLUDING the fact that sometimes the church & other Christians get in the way of you & God. I can understand this.
                    But setting yourself, what you know, and the flow of the world aside for a new possibility of a relationship with God would be worth SINCERELY INQUIRING about.

Comment

• Originally posted by anonymousboxing View Post
                      Bob,
                      I'm not sure if you're looking to argue or sincerely interested. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, and discuss this just a bit further if you'd like.

It's tough to imagine ourselves as like you said 'easily led', 'vulnerable', 'naive', 'submissive', and 'dependent' as adults. Growing up and maturing is ALL ABOUT getting past those things.

But Jesus wouldn't have said it if it didn't contrast our way as adults.
                      We grow up, mature, and begin to rule our own lives.
                      But the WHOLE concept of God ruling your life goes against that.
                      It's passing the scepter of your life to God.

The guy who started this thread (froddo) is partly right. The Bible is good preparation for dying yes. But that alone is incomplete.
                      The Word is ALSO good for LIVING. For now - not just LATER.

Because of our past we grow up learning philosophies, we're influenced by peers, we form our own theologies, beliefs, and creeds. We latch onto philosophies that best match the way we live, and hold onto them to defend the way we think and act.

But imagine setting all of that aside to simply learn what Jesus meant in all his teachings. It would require you to be 'easily led', 'vulnerable', 'naive', 'submissive', and 'dependent' as an adult.

It's uncomfortable, because alot of what Jesus taught goes against our very nature. For example: he teaches to forgive and pray for your enemies.
                      It doesn't matter who you are, or how good of person you are. That's a hard thing to do for ANYONE.

But if the 'scepter' is in your hand you'll do what you want to do, if it's in HIS hand, you'll do what pleases Him.

It's tough to accept, I know, and more difficult to consistently live it out. Which is why you'll ALWAYS spot hypocrites. But the Christian lifestyle is something you strive for, not something you master easily.

There's a difference between wanting to satisfy your skepticism and inquiring because you're eager to understand. Which are you?

If you want to satisfy your skepticism. Stop reading this and start listening more to 'squealpiggy'. He'll give you MANY more rebuttals to your satisfaction.

But if there's any ounce of curiosity, let me save you any possible suspense. NOONE, not me, or any other 'Believer' will ever argue you into believing. EVER! There is NOTHING I can say that will suddenly make you believe.

The gospel is built on faith. When you ask God to help you understand, you flip your thinking from "let me find reasons why this ISN'T real" to "let me find reasons why this IS real".

If you're a skeptic waiting for a miraculous sign, you'll be waiting a long time.
                      Even Jesus didn't satisfy skeptics of His day when they would ask Him to perform miracles so that they could believe:
                      "Then some of the [teachers] of the law said to him, "Teacher, we want to see a miraculous sign from you."
                      He answered, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a miraculous sign! None will be given it..." Matthew 12:38-39

Again, listen to all the posts before & after this one, and you'll find reasons to satisfy your skepticism, but consider the alternative.

If there was 100% certainty of contacting God, would you want it?

Did you know Christ said:
                      "No one comes to [God] except through me." John 14:6

Was he Lying? Crazy? or was He telling the Truth?
                      What if you entertain thoughts of Jesus and His teachings,
                      What did He say and teach? "If I opened my Bible to the book of Matthew, and read about His life, how could it POSSIBLY be relevant to ME today?"

Alot of people don't want anything to do with these things for lots of reasons INCLUDING the fact that sometimes the church & other Christians get in the way of you & God. I can understand this.
                      But setting yourself, what you know, and the flow of the world aside for a new possibility of a relationship with God would be worth SINCERELY INQUIRING about.
                      The last thread we spoke in, about the same subject, i had to try to convince you my inquiry was sincere. I answered all your questions best i could, and u didnt answer mine. U just stopped responding.

Maybe u think anyone who asks questions but is never satisfied is just being a stubborn argumentative die-hard skeptic. And honestly i dont know what it would take for a true non-believer to accept God, and the truth of the bible. Even if God were to show himself in some amazing way they might just think its a hallucination.
                      Im not testing anyone to see if they can convert me. I just dont understand how people can reach that level of faith when in all other aspects of everyday life, we need to be skeptical. Just look at neurology and our understanding of the brain and mental illness. We know these people arent possessed with demons and need a witch doctor, we can help them because we didnt settle for the supernatural explanation.

Surely the bible and the miraculous acts of God and Jesus were intended to prove their divinity to us? How else would we distinguish them from any other self proclaimed messiah?
                      Where else do u get ur faith from if not the miraculous? Things that dont make sense, and we cannot understand.
                      We used to think all kinds of things were miracles and acts of God, we know now they are not. So how can we be sure of the bible?
                      How then is it possible to summon up that kind of faith and conviction to Jesus?
                      If i dont believe im going to hell.
                      U think some people accept whatever philosophy best suits their lifestyle, but it could be said that some religious do the same. Their religion keeps them disciplined, gives their lives meaning, gives them hope etc.
                      They certainly have reasons to throw themselves into faith, and not ask too many questions.

A far as being like children and understanding Jesus, i just think we need to understand before we can follow. Otherwise we are just blind sheep. Everyday we must think for ourselves and evaluate each decision we make. Its called intelligence. We teach our children the same. An intelligent child isnt one who does as his parents command, but one who understands why they should or shouldnt obey. One who begins to think for themselves without being told what to do. And how do we know what is right and wrong? How do we know God is right? And therefore why should we follow his commandments? Is stealing bread form someones bin to feed someone starving a sin? Of course not. So which do u follow? Love thy neighbor, or Thou shall not steal?
                      See my point.

Comment

Working...
                      X