Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Under what circumstances could have Fernando Vargas beaten Felix Trinidad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love the turn this thread has taken.

Comment

Originally posted by StopCrying... View Post
      We can apply this logic to Cotto not being "his best" when he faced everyone AFTER the plaster tournament.
      I agree....

Comment

Originally posted by Jc8804 View Post
        No low blows and questionable wraps.
        Maybe a bit more seasoning

Great fight it was.no doubt tito low blowed
        As a tactic to get fernando off him.
        Correct.

Like I said in a similar thread,

I still feel the ball punching was the real issue. Getting hit with serious power to the balls three times... Trinidad loses this fight without those low blows.
        http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...0#post15751010

Comment

Originally posted by Big_L View Post
          Vargas maybe could have won the fight if he wasn't so determined to prove that he was not like Oscar and wasn't going to run. He came out super aggressive and got caught. At the end of round 1 he probably felt like he's fought 6 rounds already. He faded and Tito always had top notch stamina. Tito could be outboxed though and Vargas did have the skills to possibly beat him but he fought dumb.
          This is an excellent post. You know boxing, Big L. Very good observation.

I think Fernando should have moved more. When he would stand still Trinidad would use his height and reach to slide a sneaky right hand to Vargas' dome. And then he would switch it up with a left hook or power jab so Vargas couldn't figure out exactly which punch was going to hit him.

The fourth knockdown was a display of Trinidad's crafty veteran skills. A beautifully set up trap. Felix approached Vargas feinted the right hand which caused Vargas to slip. Vargas tried to counter the right of Tito but it was just a feint. Vargas -- to his demise -- bit. Trinidad fired of a left hook that landed flush -- with Vargas momentum going toward the punch.

It was a very smart trap set by Tito. Smart boxer. It must have been very difficult to think and layout traps during an all-out, life-or-death war. Trinidad could do that though. Very impressive stuff.
          Last edited by punchr; 09-25-2015, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X