Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are business management degrees any good?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are business management degrees any good?

my friends doing on

hes nearly towards the end of his third year and most likely getting a 2.1

whats peoples views on a business management degree and the future prospective

if you want to get ahead in business it's going to go far beyond the degree you've got. it means very little after you're in the workforce for a few years.

if you're a doctor, engineer, it's more important. honesly, in your dealings in business, you'll rarely find yourself looking back on your education for guidance.

i've run a business since '07, and i had a double major in subjects that were nearly opposite of what you're entering.

whatever you do, get a better GPA. that's embarrassing. you can't be getting the most out of your degree being such a poor student. in your area of study, i'd venture that the best students are looking for internships as well. i'd never go through an internship and work without getting paid, but some people need them to get jobs and add to a resume. by your age i had about 8 years of working experience. 15 mile walk to school through snow. i'm a bad man. ask around.

if you want to make it in business, it's not what you know, it's who you know, and what you can do for them.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      if you want to get ahead in business it's going to go far beyond the degree you've got. it means very little after you're in the workforce for a few years.

if you're a doctor, engineer, it's more important. honesly, in your dealings in business, you'll rarely find yourself looking back on your education for guidance.

i've run a business since '07, and i had a double major in subjects that were nearly opposite of what you're entering.

whatever you do, get a better GPA. that's embarrassing. you can't be getting the most out of your degree being such a poor student. in your area of study, i'd venture that the best students are looking for internships as well. i'd never go through an internship and work without getting paid, but some people need them to get jobs and add to a resume. by your age i had about 8 years of working experience. 15 mile walk to school through snow. i'm a bad man. ask around.

if you want to make it in business, it's not what you know, it's who you know, and what you can do for them.
      This is pretty much the only thing that matters in business. You can have all the degrees you want , but without networking your not going anywhere.

Comment

There are so many people getting them, that they are basically worthless

Comment

these days it's about who you know anyway. If you don't go to a prestigious school then you're going to have to need some connections. As for degrees, they don't even matter anymore. You see Finance people in sales and so and so. You don't have to do a job that has to do with what you studied in school.

Basically College is to show that you have the ability to learn. When you start working you realize you work with some idiots and some intelligent dudes. And also in college they make you do projects to get you ready for that. Different personalities and different levels of work ethic.

Comment

2.1 GPA?

No way man. Get it up to a 3.0 at least.

Get a Linkedin account and start making connections.
            Last edited by paulf; 10-03-2013, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by -Body Snatcher- View Post
              these days it's about who you know anyway. If you don't go to a prestigious school then you're going to have to need some connections. As for degrees, they don't even matter anymore. You see Finance people in sales and so and so. You don't have to do a job that has to do with what you studied in school.

Basically College is to show that you have the ability to learn. When you start working you realize you work with some idiots and some intelligent dudes. And also in college they make you do projects to get you ready for that. Different personalities and different levels of work ethic.
              Yeah pretty much I had some fun in college and learned some interesting things but as for career endeavors it was really a waste of time, which is how I think one's early 20's should be spent.

Comment

Depends. Go to a good (school if possible) and perform excellently. That + work experience + networking will put you in the best position to succeed.

Best of luck, mate.

Keep in touch.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  There are so many people getting them, that they are basically worthless
                  Don't listen to this guy, people say this about virtually every degree.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    Don't listen to this guy, people say this about virtually every degree.
                    Because its true, especially business degree, which are most popular by far. As more people get degrees, the less they are worth. Everyone and their mother has a business degree, so they are seemingly worthless now.

Like other posters have said, best thing is networking and experience

Comment

Working...
                    X