No announcement yet.

Did Donald Curry waste his potential?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Donald Curry waste his potential?

I thought he was going to be the next great welter than Lloyd Honnygan beat him. Where any of you others out there shocked that Lloyd beat Don so easily?

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    I thought he was going to be the next great welter than Lloyd Honnygan beat him. Where any of you others out there shocked that Lloyd beat Don so easily?
    Most shocking loss I've ever witnessed...and yes, Curry absolutely wasted his potential. I have been a hardcore fan since mid 1981, and the '84-'86 Donald Curry is the most brilliant fighter I have witnessed in that time. Something was loose in his noggin- had to be.

Comment

I was shocked by the loss too. And by his downfall after that as well. I always believed Curry and later, Terry Norris were extremely talented boxers that could have and maybe would have been alot better if they boxed more and slugged less. I always felt Curry fell in love with the knockout during his welterweight reign and the Honeyghan fight would have went better if he followed the old rule, "box a slugger and slug a with a boxer"! Curry, I felt had the skills to box as well as Starling and made the mistake with Honeyghan not to. Thats my outtake on it anyways.

Comment

i had don figured out in sparring years ago so they always avioded me for pre fight work. the one flaw that doesn't make me think he wasted his career is he always fought with his head up. chin always exposed while he threw punches. look at the lost to loyd, norris, mCcallum and you will see. parried punches with his bloves and didn't move his head. relied on stepping around his opponent and was good at being in the right position BUT that head was always up and the chin not tucked lots of times. didn't waste anything,. he had a good career. whoever thought he was the next big thing wasn't paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by theproof View Post
          i had don figured out in sparring years ago so they always avioded me for pre fight work. the one flaw that doesn't make me think he wasted his career is he always fought with his head up. chin always exposed while he threw punches. look at the lost to loyd, norris, mCcallum and you will see. parried punches with his bloves and didn't move his head. relied on stepping around his opponent and was good at being in the right position BUT that head was always up and the chin not tucked lots of times. didn't waste anything,. he had a good career. whoever thought he was the next big thing wasn't paying attention.
          I didn't see much of that in the two Starling fights.

Comment

The way he easily handled everyone he fought- and he beat lots of excellent fighters- was the reason he looked to be the "next bight thing".

Like TBear said, that flaw you described wasn't so prominent when he was destroying an entire division.

You figured him out in sparring? If you were good enough to do that while guys like Starling, McCrory, and Colin Jones couldn't....then you are the one who really wasted their potential.

Comment

you sparred with curry?

I say bull ****

Comment

It was probably that flaw, which was accentuated by the fact that he didn't take the best punch, and the manipulation of Ray Leonard, that hurt his career.Still find fault with Donald, to an extent, that Jun Sok Hwang floored him in their title fight.

Comment

Working...
                X