Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are most science documentaries are misleading?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Why are most science documentaries are misleading?

Im currently watching this one about MARS... it is about terraforming mars...

and one of the scientist mention that when ice thaws on mars in evaporates.
    Now to the average layman that sounds very strange, interesting and sensational but what he does not explain that it is really not the normal ice we know and familiar with but instead it is carbon ice or dry ice as we call it. So he has cheated very badly you see.

And believe me i have seen countless of this science documentaries that do the same thing try to explain things to sensationalize them instead really going to the point in explaining what they really are.

Yeah I was pissed when i found out about the 'water world'.

Comment

Originally posted by Witch_King View Post

Now to the average layman that sounds very strange, interesting and sensational but what he does not explain that it is really not the normal ice we know and familiar with but instead it is carbon ice or dry ice as we call it. So he has cheated very badly you see.

And believe me i have seen countless of this science documentaries that do the same thing try to explain things to sensationalize them instead really going to the point in explaining what they really are.
      are you sure he wasnt just talking about a lower pressure due to less atmosphere which would cause water to go from a solid to gas?

Comment

it was ice in polar region of mars which as i know that is dry ice. He did not explain that either if it was ice water.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPASMURF View Post
          Yeah I was pissed when i found out about the 'water world'.
          yeah i agree that kevin costner movie just didnt do it for me either

Comment

......because real science is for privileged sons and daughters, and show-science for the average citizen. Close thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Witch_King View Post

I'm a documentary freak .... love them.

BUT......

You're right, they do sensationalize some non-important facts to make it more credible, while diminishing or not explaining fully the facts presented.

Still, a lot of people {Like Myself} would be a lot less knowledgeable without them ....... so, its a tolerable fault.

Comment

Originally posted by GOAT86 View Post
                ......because real science is for privileged sons and daughters, and show-science for the average citizen. Close thread.
                This isn't true. Science is open to anyone with the aptitude to understand it.

Was this documentary on the Discovery Channel by chance?

Comment

Well TS, whenever you come across any type of material online, or in a documentary you have to ask yourself what purpose did the author of this material have in the making of this.

Its like that propaganda "Supersize Me" movie, where they are clearly pushing are pushing an agenda while skewing facts greatly.

Comment

Working...
                  X