No announcement yet.

Q&A With Ronald Hearns.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q&A With Ronald Hearns.

James Slater talks to Michigan?s 30-year-old light-middleweight contender Ronald Hearns, 21-0 (17)

Age started boxing: 24

First boxing memory: My dad didn?t want me to do it, but after I graduated college he told me if boxing was what I really wanted to do, I could. Before that I was shadowboxing in front of the mirror for six months.

Inspiration: To be my own man, to prove myself ? to not just be in my dad?s shadow.

Favourite all-time fighter: My dad, of course. But also Sugar Ray Robinson, Larry Holmes, Michael Nunn and Joe Louis.

Best fight seen: Of my dad?s, I?d say the first fight with Ray Leonard and the one with Juan Roldan. Other fighters, I?d say Gerald McClellan-Julian Jackson I ? that fight had a lot of hype and both threw a lot of bombs.

Pre-fight meal: Grilled chicken with vegetables.

What do you do to relax: Spend time with my family, my wife and my two daughters. Or go to church and give praise to who gave me what I have.

Pre-fight superstitions: None, really, I just follow my gameplan in each fight.

What training between fights: I?m always in the gym. They have to tell me to take time off! I play basketball just to keep active.

Typical breakfast: Oatmeal or eggs.

Toughest part of being a boxer: Dealing with being irritable with people when you have a fight coming up. I don?t want to talk to anyone, really, and that can be hard.

Last book read: It was a gospel book, called The Power Of A Praying Husband.

Favourite music: Gospel. But if I?m doing my running I?ll listen to Rocky music.

Favourite movie: I?d say Bloodsport with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

What Car do you drive: A Toyota Yaris.

Where do you train: Motown Boxing, Detroit.

Typical training routine: Up at 5.30am, run six miles, then rest, take a nap. In the gym at approx 10am, then spar ? about 100-120 rounds for a fight. Then I lift weights. When I spar, I spar with bigger guys. I tend to run guys my own size out of the ring.

Toughest man faced: Hector Hernandez, a Mexican fighter. All Mexicans are tough!

What supplements do you take: Just regular vitamins.

If you weren?t a boxer: I?d be in law enforcement. ive worked with juvenile delinquents for the past three years. i got my criminal justice degree.

Last place you went in holiday: Las Vegas.

Favourite football team: The Indianapolis Colts.

Best boxer in the sport today: Floyd Mayweather Junior. I think big money offers will make him come back. If not him, Manny Pacquiao.

apologies for all those infuriating question marks dotted around..

Comment

Working...
    X