No announcement yet.

District judge sides with Pacquiao, orders Mayweather to give deposition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• District judge sides with Pacquiao, orders Mayweather to give deposition

A district judge ruled Thursday that Floyd Mayweather Jr. must give a deposition in the defamation lawsuit filed against him by fellow boxer Manny Pacquiao.

U.S. District Court Judge Larry Hicks denied an emergency appeal filed by Mayweather attorney Mark Tratos, claiming the appeal was "without merit." Mayweather was scheduled to give his deposition June 17 but failed to appear.

Pacquiao, the reigning WBO welterweight champion who has won world titles in eight weight divisions, sued Mayweather in December 2009 after Mayweather allegedly accused Pacquiao of taking steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs in his rise to stardom.

Hicks' decision affirmed Magistrate Robert Johnston's order denying Mayweather's motion for a protective order to prevent the June 17 deposition.

Daniel Petrocelli, who represents Pacquiao, said Thursday: "Floyd Mayweather Jr. still is refusing to show up for his deposition. He continues to defy the court's order."

Mayweather this week went on a two-day promotional tour for his Sept. 17 fight against WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz at the MGM Grand Garden. Tratos said he has reached out to Petrocelli in the hope of delaying the deposition until after the fight.

"We're still negotiating," Tratos said. "I've had correspondence with opposing counsel and we'll try and find a solution. If possible, we'd like to have the deposition after Sept. 17."

Tratos said there was no truth to the rumor that Pacquiao would drop his lawsuit if Mayweather publicly apologized to him. Pacquiao dropped Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya and chief executive officer Richard Schaefer from the lawsuit this spring after Golden Boy issued a public apology to Pacquiao.

"Believe me, if it was an apology that was necessary, this case would have been gone a long time ago," Tratos said.

Originally posted by abdul-jakul View Post
    A district judge ruled Thursday that Floyd Mayweather Jr. must give a deposition in the defamation lawsuit filed against him by fellow boxer Manny Pacquiao.

U.S. District Court Judge Larry Hicks denied an emergency appeal filed by Mayweather attorney Mark Tratos, claiming the appeal was "without merit." Mayweather was scheduled to give his deposition June 17 but failed to appear.

Pacquiao, the reigning WBO welterweight champion who has won world titles in eight weight divisions, sued Mayweather in December 2009 after Mayweather allegedly accused Pacquiao of taking steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs in his rise to stardom.

Hicks' decision affirmed Magistrate Robert Johnston's order denying Mayweather's motion for a protective order to prevent the June 17 deposition.

Daniel Petrocelli, who represents Pacquiao, said Thursday: "Floyd Mayweather Jr. still is refusing to show up for his deposition. He continues to defy the court's order."

Mayweather this week went on a two-day promotional tour for his Sept. 17 fight against WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz at the MGM Grand Garden. Tratos said he has reached out to Petrocelli in the hope of delaying the deposition until after the fight.

"We're still negotiating," Tratos said. "I've had correspondence with opposing counsel and we'll try and find a solution. If possible, we'd like to have the deposition after Sept. 17."

Tratos said there was no truth to the rumor that Pacquiao would drop his lawsuit if Mayweather publicly apologized to him. Pacquiao dropped Golden Boy Promotions president Oscar De La Hoya and chief executive officer Richard Schaefer from the lawsuit this spring after Golden Boy issued a public apology to Pacquiao.

"Believe me, if it was an apology that was necessary, this case would have been gone a long time ago," Tratos said.
    The last sentence is a rather naive admission from a highly paid lawyer that Mayweather lied.

And on a connected point, what is happening about the appearances of the other co-defendants, the Maywather group etc??

Comment

And in other non boxing news, Carls Jr has a new chicken sandwich that looks awesome. I havent tried it yet but plan to soon.

Anyone had it yet?

Comment

judge is clearly racist.

Comment

Originally posted by pcpc View Post
          judge is clearly racist.
          I lol'd at your Tim Bradley sig

Comment

Originally posted by pcpc View Post
            judge is clearly racist.
            ^^^^^^^^^^^

Gayweather is the one throwing racist statements and childlike tantrums against Pacquiao. You fookin *****s are really dumb!

Comment

Originally posted by abdul-jakul View Post
              I would have guessed after two judges asking them to show up in court and Pacquiao's negative to drop charges, Floyd's lawyer would begin to have a clue.

Can't wait to see how all this unfolds. The trial transcripts, if there are any, will be gold.

Comment

Working...
              X