Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

prime Roy Jones Jr against prime Archie Moore, who'd get the victory.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
    I've always thought Roy had a really good style for a Moore fight. Moore's cross armed defense would've given a young Roy time to pop and move. Might be a low contact fight.
    This. Also, Jones' chin in his prime was better than he's credited for.

Comment

I'm a huge Moore fan, but he would never get close. Jones had amazing speed, good power and a sturdy chin. Don't be revisionist. Jones did not have chin issues until Tarver stopped him.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDaddyNC View Post
        I'm a huge Moore fan, but he would never get close. Jones had amazing speed, good power and a sturdy chin. Don't be revisionist. Jones did not have chin issues until Tarver stopped him.
        That's silly. All fighters can have chin issues when hit with the right punch. Jones was good enough to avoid getting hit by the right punch for most of his career until Tarver. It wasn't only the weight drop that did him in.

It was probably a lot more to do with becoming unmotivated. Don't forget, he had been dropped and hurt pretty bad before by a guy who was never much more than a half decent contender well before he moved up to fight at heavyweight.

You just need to hit by the right punch. He had been dropped pretty bad before, and it didn't take moving up to heavyweight and back down again to do it. It just took a clean punch he didn't see at all. It wasn't even very hard. If that guy was punching harder and it was earlier in the fight, it could very well have been all over well before he got to the Ruiz fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7h37fMneg

It's not a hard punch. He just doesn't see it. It could have happened at any time in his career. He was very lucky it wasn't against a good fighter and he was very lucky it wasn't against a good finisher.

He's one of those guys that could always have been KO'd at any weight by the right guy. He just never met him early, which was due as much to his skill as to his era. He felt he had achieved everything after his heavyweight paper 'title' win and it would have been due as much as running into the wrong guy at the wrong time along with a decrease in training and determination.

I'm pretty sure that if he and Tarver had fought at any point of their careers three times, Tarver would have knocked him out, knocked him down or hurt him badly at some point in those fights.

It's been shown time and time again that if you meet the right guy, he can knock you down, or out, despite having a great chin.

Anyway, I think probably Jones would win by close UD.
        Last edited by BennyST; 12-17-2012, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KidKwik View Post
          I'd say in a 15 rounder, should Moore make it out of the 6th round, he cruises to a comfortable decision. The old time boxers stamina is unreal compared to the guys of the last few decades.
          Jones stamina was unreal man the man threw almost nothing but power punches it takes serious stamina to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            That's silly. All fighters can have chin issues when hit with the right punch. Jones was good enough to avoid getting hit by the right punch for most of his career until Tarver. It wasn't only the weight drop that did him in.

It was probably a lot more to do with becoming unmotivated. Don't forget, he had been dropped and hurt pretty bad before by a guy who was never much more than a half decent contender well before he moved up to fight at heavyweight.

You just need to hit by the right punch. He had been dropped pretty bad before, and it didn't take moving up to heavyweight and back down again to do it. It just took a clean punch he didn't see at all. It wasn't even very hard. If that guy was punching harder and it was earlier in the fight, it could very well have been all over well before he got to the Ruiz fight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp7h37fMneg

It's not a hard punch. He just doesn't see it. It could have happened at any time in his career. He was very lucky it wasn't against a good fighter and he was very lucky it wasn't against a good finisher.

He's one of those guys that could always have been KO'd at any weight by the right guy. He just never met him early, which was due as much to his skill as to his era. He felt he had achieved everything after his heavyweight paper 'title' win and it would have been due as much as running into the wrong guy at the wrong time along with a decrease in training and determination.

I'm pretty sure that if he and Tarver had fought at any point of their careers three times, Tarver would have knocked him out, knocked him down or hurt him badly at some point in those fights.

It's been shown time and time again that if you meet the right guy, he can knock you down, or out, despite having a great chin.

Anyway, I think probably Jones would win by close UD.
            I am following you up to the end, but not sure about Tarver necessarily hurting a prime Roy, simply because in the first fight Roy looked like ****, got caught plenty of times and nothing happened.

Comment

Originally posted by wmute View Post
              I am following you up to the end, but not sure about Tarver necessarily hurting a prime Roy, simply because in the first fight Roy looked like ****, got caught plenty of times and nothing happened.
              Yeah, i kind of agree. Its certainly possible that Jones wins all easily. but i think Tarver was the right guy and I meant at some point over three fights. If it was just one fight in their primes, I think Jones would have taken him no problem probably. But, if they fought three fights, I'm pretty sure at some point Tarver would have hit him with one of those left hands, and it would have taken him at least down or maybe even out. Even if he was in his prime and he got hit with that shot, it would have knocked him out. He was less likely to get hit with it in the first place, but it could definitely happen, as evidenced by the De Valle shot.

Sadly we'll never know. Jones' chin truly does get overrated by some, who say it was pure iron in his prime, and underrated by many, who say it was glass. He's a funny one like that.

Comment

Working...
              X