Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene’s 2011 Year End Awards: Fighter Of the Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene’s 2011 Year End Awards: Fighter Of the Year

By Jake Donovan - Prior to the start of Showtime’s Super Six World Boxing Classic, most boxing experts weren’t quite sure what to make of Andre Ward’s career. The 2004 Olympic Gold medalist was always chock full of talent and confidence, but the results didn’t quite line up with the suggested greatness.

Ward changed that in a big way in Stage One of the tournament, scoring a lopsided points win over heavily favored Mikkel Kessler in Nov. ’09 to win his first major championship.

Two years and four wins later, Ward is now regarded as one of the best pound-for-pound fighters in the world. The pair of wins he racked up in 2011 led to a number of honors earned, including near unanimous recognition as the Fighter of the Year.

Heading into 2011, Ward emerged as the favorite to win the Super Six tournament, but pre-fight predictions have proven to mean next to nothing in the round-robin series. Ward wasn’t supposed to advance as far as he did, with most experts believing that it would be Kessler and Arthur Abraham as the last men standing when all was said and done.

What those experts didn’t realize is that Ward’s self-confidence exists for several reasons: his strong belief in the Lord he serves, and the solid foundation built by longtime trainer and father figure Virgil Hunter through their 18 years spent together.

It’s that very confidence that has enabled Ward to have avoided the taste of defeat for more than 14 years. As Floyd Mayweather often points out, how can you create a blueprint for defeat for a man who doesn’t know what it’s like to lose? [Click Here To Read More]

No mention of Carlos Molina? He completely revived his career and had three quality wins (although only got credit for two) to get the big Kirkland fight.

Comment

khan is no "pound for pound entrant!

Comment

No mention of Jorge Arce? He busted his ass all year...

Comment

Yea andre ward, abner mares, lamont peterson n b-hop

Comment

Originally posted by TX_BOXNG View Post
            Yea andre ward, abner mares, lamont peterson n b-hop
            Donaire in my humble opinion,

The Montiel win with that devastating 2nd round KO>>>Froch UD

The Narvaez win>>> an abraham coming off 2 losses.

I think Donaire got 2 better wins, but small divisions are underrated as usual and I guess they had to give it to the super 6 winner.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
              Donaire in my humble opinion,

The Montiel win with that devastating 2nd round KO>>>Froch UD

The Narvaez win>>> an abraham coming off 2 losses.

I think Donaire got 2 better wins, but small divisions are underrated as usual and I guess they had to give it to the super 6 winner.
              Why do I have to explain this in every awards topic.

Winners are based on staff voting. The selection of Ward isn't a strategic move to generate more web hits. For that, Pac or Floyd would be our FOTY every year.

We are not a dictatorship. We put this stuff to a vote and this was the turnout.

As for smaller divisions being underrated - of the nine fighters named, only three fought above 122 this year.

Jorge Arce (118/122)
              Nonito Donaire (118)
              Kazuto Ioka (105)
              Abner Mares (118)
              Tyson Marquez (112)
              Brian Viloria (112)
              ======
              Lamont Peterson (140)
              Brandon Rios (135)
              Andre Ward (168)

I swear, people ***** around here just for the sake of *****ing.

Comment

Originally posted by theocdog View Post
                No mention of Jorge Arce? He busted his ass all year...
                Arce was an "oops" on my part. I had him listed in the Hon. mention selection but accidentally deleted when shuffling them into alphabetical order. But yes, def a FOTY-considered campaign he led in '11

Comment

Originally posted by UL1210 View Post
                  No mention of Carlos Molina? He completely revived his career and had three quality wins (although only got credit for two) to get the big Kirkland fight.
                  I like Carlos and continue to be proud to see the career turnaround he's enjoyed.

But no, his year wasn't on par with the others. The Lara fight was close and could've went either way, but was an 8-round prospect fight. Kermit is who he is and Conyers is cannon fodder served up when a fighter is looking to stay busy and/or rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeNDaBox View Post
                    I like Carlos and continue to be proud to see the career turnaround he's enjoyed.

But no, his year wasn't on par with the others. The Lara fight was close and could've went either way, but was an 8-round prospect fight. Kermit is who he is and Conyers is cannon fodder served up when a fighter is looking to stay busy and/or rebuild.
                    Jake, question - why haven't you replaced Khan's photo with Andre Ward on the main page? Also thanks for recognising Ward as the rightful fighter of 2011. Happy New Year!

Comment

Working...
                    X