No announcement yet.

Archie Moore interview: Spinks versus Charles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
    Moore ended up in hospital for 3 days after their fight, believe that's what he might of been referring too ?, but I wouldn't say Moore was afraid of him, Moore took a hellish beating from Eddie Booker 3 months prior too the Burley fight and was stopped but he lasted the distance against Burley despite it being so one sided, if he was afraid surely he wouldn't of gotten in the ring or just given up ?. Moore fought absolutely everyone (But Walcott for whatever reason), it's just silly too say he's scared of anyone.
    Take douche and repeat rinse if you still have sand in Vagina, too bad.

Listen you neurotic twit...the other posters seemed to get the figure of speech as it was indicated,,,namely that Burley was hell on Moore.

BTW in an interview Moore was quoted as saying that Charlie Burley was the only man that he was scared to fight....He probably meant it also as a figure of speech and hoped that some neurotic would not nitpic his language....but who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Bolt View Post
      I can very well imagine Archie was afraid [of Burley]. The minds of these great fighters we don’t understand. How they get triggered by challenging their fears.

Larry Holmes said that, most often, when he walked up to the ring, he felt fear and anxiety. And when he quit boxing, he missed these feelings. They made him, in a sense, happy.

If I was approaching a ring, to face a Shavers or a Tyson, I would definitely not feel very happy
      Since this comment has become so large let me just clarify. Moore did say he was afraid of Burley...however I think he was using the term "afraid" simply to suggest that Burley had his number. Sort of like George Foreman exxagerating his lack of desire to get in the ring with certain fighters.

Comment

I love the Archie Moore interviews. He was a piece of boxing history!

I recorded this one myself off USA Tuesday Night Fights years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post

Listen you neurotic twit...the other posters seemed to get the figure of speech as it was indicated,,,namely that Burley was hell on Moore.

BTW in an interview Moore was quoted as saying that Charlie Burley was the only man that he was scared to fight....He probably meant it also as a figure of speech and hoped that some neurotic would not nitpic his language....but who knows?
          Whatever you do don't criticize Carlos Monzon or he'll follow you around like a baboon in heat ****picking every post you make :chuckle9:

Comment

Since this comment has become so large let me just clarify. Moore did say he was afraid of Burley...however I think he was using the term "afraid" simply to suggest that Burley had his number. Sort of like George Foreman exxagerating his lack of desire to get in the ring with certain fighters.
            Very well explained.. Moore was'nt afraid to bare his soul in any interview, only his age.. And true, Foreman was very similar, but more 'tongue in cheek.'
            Said he'd dread a fight with Lennox, and was scared of Frazier's and Cooney's left hooks.
            Foreman was definitely wary of fellow punchers, and even regarded Frank Bruno as too risky during his early 90's comeback.. Only difference being, Archie Moore would fight literally anyone, at the drop of a hat.

Comment

Interesting what Moore said about Joey Maxim. I never knew Maxim was great defensively.

Comment

Do you want too show me the interview ?, the reason Burley beat on Moore so bad in their fight was because Moore was so ****y before the fight, no interview I've ever read of Moore says that he was scared of Burley, if anything he wanted too get in the ring with him. Moore has always said that Burley was the best boxer he's ever fought but never said that he was afraid of him from what I've seen and I'm having a hard time trying too find anything that said he was.
                If anything I was trying too back you up after Joe brought up the rankings to try and say that Moore wasn't scared of Burley because of that, don't see why you're so salty.
                Last edited by NChristo; 11-28-2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  Whatever you do don't criticize Carlos Monzon or he'll follow you around like a baboon in heat ****picking every post you make :chuckle9:
                  Monzon? that guy with the ******ed seventies hair cut that got lucky he didn't have to fight a real man like Hopkins?

JUST Kiddin Christo!!!

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    Do you want too show me the interview ?, the reason Burley beat on Moore so bad in their fight was because Moore was so ****y before the fight, no interview I've ever read of Moore says that he was scared of Burley, if anything he wanted too get in the ring with him. Moore has always said that Burley was the best boxer he's ever fought but never said that he was afraid of him from what I've seen and I'm having a hard time trying too find anything that said he was.
                    If anything I was trying too back you up after Joe brought up the rankings to try and say that Moore wasn't scared of Burley because of that, don't see why you're so salty.
                    It amused me. You guys were so focused on the word while the context was the important thing. Boxers, like all of us, use certain words casually to indicate things....this goes along with words having something they denote and connote: Denote is literal and connote is implying, suggesting, using an image or analogy. We all know that Archie would not have a fear of Burley because he fought him more than once. yet he called Burley one of, or the best, he had ever faced.

The most important thing to realize is that Moore was able to speak volumes for himself and his relationship to Burley is documented for posterity. Regardless if he used the word or not there was a (fear,respect, caution, careful) nexus of intention going on.

But alas I am only teasing with you guys...I found it more amusing actually. Now I have to get back into the kitchen and finish the turkey!

Comment

Monzon? that guy with the ******ed seventies hair cut that got lucky he didn't have to fight a real man like Hopkins?

JUST Kiddin Christo!!!
                      I had Poet in a debate on Monzon and as usual he resorted to insults because he didn't have a solid rebuttal as a result he got banned from the History Section, I was trying to talk boxing and for some reason he wasn't interested and just wanted too talk **** like he has done here, the fact he's still mad is quite funny.

I mean oh no, you have hurt my feelings, I'm going to go cry like a little ***** over the internet.

It amused me. You guys were so focused on the word while the context was the important thing. Boxers, like all of us, use certain words casually to indicate things....this goes along with words having something they denote and connote: Denote is literal and connote is implying, suggesting, using an image or analogy. We all know that Archie would not have a fear of Burley because he fought him more than once. yet he called Burley one of, or the best, he had ever faced.

The most important thing to realize is that Moore was able to speak volumes for himself and his relationship to Burley is documented for posterity. Regardless if he used the word or not there was a (fear,respect, caution, careful) nexus of intention going on.

But alas I am only teasing with you guys...I found it more amusing actually. Now I have to get back into the kitchen and finish the turkey!
                      So what you're saying here is that you've never seen an interview where Moore said he was afraid of Burley and you made it all up ?, I tried too find a way in which you might of meant Moore was afraid of Burley because Joe pointed it out, that's all, no need to go and blow this little tid bit up, Moore and Burley only fought once by the way.
                      Last edited by NChristo; 11-28-2013, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X