Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Prime Floyd Mayweather jr. vs. prime 'Battling' Nelson @ 135. Who takes it???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prime Floyd Mayweather jr. vs. prime 'Battling' Nelson @ 135. Who takes it???

I made this thread in NSB but (perhaps as expected) didn't get any replies. I'll have a go in this section.

Mayweather vs. Nelson. Lightweight championship.

Old school rules:

4 ounce horse-hair gloves.
    It's a fight to the finish. (50 rounds.)
    Weigh-in at fight time in the ring.

The slick Mayweather facing off against the toughest fighter the world have ever seen. Nelson fought the great Joe Gans 3 times. Lost the first by DQ in round 42 and won the following 2 fights by knock-out.

Who takes it?

Mayweather:

Nelson:

Floyd would break his hands with those gloves

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
      Floyd would break his hands with those gloves
      That was common back then. Nelson often fought with broken hands.

Comment

Mayweather doesn't get tired easily .. However round 45 might just take the wind out of even the most hardcore boxing veteran.. However, boxing skills back then was none existent.. Mayweather would probably outbox Nelson for 15 rounds knocking him down a few times.. Then Nelson would do that old school dirty fighting.. Don't know.. Mayweather by DQ?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
          I made this thread in NSB but (perhaps as expected) didn't get any replies. I'll have a go in this section.

Mayweather vs. Nelson. Lightweight championship.

Old school rules:

4 ounce horse-hair gloves.
          It's a fight to the finish. (50 rounds.)
          Weigh-in at fight time in the ring.

The slick Mayweather facing off against the toughest fighter the world have ever seen. Nelson fought the great Joe Gans 3 times. Lost the first by DQ in round 42 and won the following 2 fights by knock-out.

Who takes it?

Mayweather:

Nelson:

isn't it sad the almost no one will pay attention to the bolded part

Comment

Let me ask a question regarding Gans...do you guys think by the time he fought Nelson the 2nd time his skills had started to erode to the point that he wasn't the same? He was like what 34 or 35 at the time and at the tail end of what? 200 fights? Regardless not trying to discredit Nelson... just wanted to ask because my knowledge of these guys is limited.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
              Let me ask a question regarding Gans...do you guys think by the time he fought Nelson the 2nd time his skills had started to erode to the point that he wasn't the same? He was like what 34 or 35 at the time and at the tail end of what? 200 fights? Regardless not trying to discredit Nelson... just wanted to ask because my knowledge of these guys is limited.
              You're right. Gans was past it. Not only because of age and fighting, but also because of disease. Gans was definetely weakened when he fought Nelson the second and third time. He suffered from tuberculosis and died because of it 2 years later.

Still he was a formidable force and Nelson's best win.

Comment

How exactly did Nelson get DQ'd in the first fight? Was it a close fight or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkins View Post
                  How exactly did Nelson get DQ'd in the first fight? Was it a close fight or what?
                  It was from a low blow. Neslon himself claimed that it was no foul, but all the papers said it was too low.

As was normal for Nelson he was battered but always game. You can read the RBR here:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/nd...927pdfFile.pdf

Comment

My take on this fight would be that Mayweather would completely outbox Nelson although he will be surprised with all the dirty tricks Nelson would pull.

Kidney punching was bat's specialty. He did it with an 'extended' (word?) indexfinger to get maximum penetration. He also put some oinkment in his hair to make it stiff and rubbed his hair in the opponents eye. Mayweather would learn all the dirty tricks the hard way.

Mayweather may also put Nelson down a few times although PBF is not the hardest of punchers. It was common to KD Nelson. But he always got up and nothing can convince me that Mayweather would be able to keep Nelson down when Britt, Wolgast and Gans couldn't.

So the real question here is if Mayweather have got the stamina to go 40+ rounds. He would have to if he should have a chance of winning.

Comment

Working...
                    X