No announcement yet.

what percentage KO ration should you have to be considered a POWER puncher

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what percentage KO ration should you have to be considered a POWER puncher

Obviously this is a tricky question as it depends on the level of opposition you have face.

But lets say in general, averaging every thing out. If you are a winning fighter, what is a good KO percentage to have to be considfed a Ko fighter.

Would you say anything over 50 percent suggests you have decent power?

Frankly I don't think KO percentage matters all that much. There are many fighters with less than impressive KO ratios who are power punchers: Provo (64%), Martinez (51%), Donaire (62%) etc.

Over 50% generally does suggest you have at least OK power, but it depends on a number of other factors, too.

Comment

the cruiser champ Hernandez for example got a KO ratio slightly below 50% but if he lands big he usually knocks his opponents flat out or at least sends 'em down pretty heavily with one punch
      you know he can crack, altough he lacks killer instict lets you off the hook if you can avoid getting counted out.
      on the other hand Vitali finished with a close to 90 per cent KO ratio. He was very dominant and threw many punches and amlost always got a stoppage eventually after he landed some hundred clean blows but I'd say he had or at least delivered only average power at best with that sloppy lean back armpunch counter stlye he used.

Comment

Taking into account the obvious limitations of this as a measurement, I would say 60% is the lower threshold for good punchers. Above 70% tend to be notable punchers. Above 80% for big punchers.

Opposition level, career stage, and weight class all muddy the waters to some extent.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Rumack View Post
          Taking into account the obvious limitations of this as a measurement, I would say 60% is the lower threshold for good punchers. Above 70% tend to be notable punchers. Above 80% for big punchers.

Opposition level, career stage, and weight class all muddy the waters to some extent.
          thats my criteria as well.

Froch has a 67% ko ratio, but if you look at the competition hes fought and some lf the guys chins he fought against, perhaps his 67% is a bit harsh??

Interesting thoughts guys.

Comment

Originally posted by vick_ramalot View Post
            the cruiser champ Hernandez for example got a KO ratio slightly below 50% but if he lands big he usually knocks his opponents flat out or at least sends 'em down pretty heavily with one punch
            you know he can crack, altough he lacks killer instict lets you off the hook if you can avoid getting counted out.
            on the other hand Vitali finished with a close to 90 per cent KO ratio. He was very dominant and threw many punches and amlost always got a stoppage eventually after he landed some hundred clean blows but I'd say he had or at least delivered only average power at best with that sloppy lean back armpunch counter stlye he used.
            I was going to make a similar post, although I wasn't going to use Hernandez as a specific example. Some fighters possess good power, but their KO percentage doesn't necessarily reflect it. Sergio Martinez has good power, but his KO percentage belies that fact. I consider a power puncher someone who consistently hurts his opponents and is always a KO threat, although they're not necessarily "KO artists."

Comment

Originally posted by slimshandy69 View Post
              Obviously this is a tricky question as it depends on the level of opposition you have face.

But lets say in general, averaging every thing out. If you are a winning fighter, what is a good KO percentage to have to be considfed a Ko fighter.

Would you say anything over 50 percent suggests you have decent power?
              I say at least 75 percent 3 out 4 ain't to bad

Comment

At 66.7% you are considered scientifically a knock out artist/power puncher. Like Floyd Magweather, and Rigondeaux and Lata.

Comment

Depends on the Theltic Ration.

Comment

Kendall Holt is a perfect example of why KO percentages don't mean a lot. He is below 50% but I've seen him put guys to sleep

Comment

Working...
                    X