Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Forget about May and the Welterweight Div.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget about May and the Welterweight Div.

I think that Pac should forget about Mayweather, the welterweight division and go back down to light-welter. Let me explain.

If you look at Manny's weight profile, he is just barely making the weight at welter. At weigh-in he was below the maximum weight limit by 2 pounds and could only re-hydrate to 150. Meanwhile, Rios was able to re-hydrate up to 159 pounds at fight night. This has always been pretty much the case for Pac when he fights at welter.

There's a justifiable belief in boxing that higher weight classes attract more attention, so guys like Pac, Marquez, Soto, and I'm sure there are many others you can think of that are always trying to move up weight classes.

Well I think Pac and Marquez have proven themselves and have enough of a fan-following that they can go back down to a weight division that is more natural to their body mass. Marquez was super-featherweight for many years and only started moving up to pursue Manny, meanwhile Manny has to get up for midnight snacks just to maintain his weight.

Another interesting consideration is that the light-welter division makes for some new and intriguing match-ups - with the likes of Danny Garcia, Lucas Matthyse, Mike Alvarado, Peterson, and maybe his old friend and stablemate - Amir Khan. There's also the long-shot possibility of banging it out with his current friend Provodnikov - I think these fights are more intriguing than another possible rematch with Bradley or Marquez, and I'm also getting tired of watching him pursue a fight against Mayweather.

I would like to see Pac go back down and score some dramatic KOs again. It seems that his punches don't have the same sting at welter. Sure he disfigures people's faces, but that's from volume. I just don't think Pac's body mass has enough inertia to knock people out at 147 pounds.

On the flip-side, whenever he gets tagged, there is a definite impact to his body. During the post-fight interview, Pac confirmed that Rios really hurt him somewhere around the 5th round, and even in his win against Margarito, Pac's body took plenty of punishment and he was hospitalized for a few days because of it.

I think both Pac and Marquez should go back down to divisions that their bodies normally belong to. Their KO percentage will go back up and I personally like the potential match-ups the light welterweight division can provide.

OP, who does TR have at 140 for manny to fight...

Garcia,Khan,Matthysse, and Peterson are all goldenboy fighters. Alvarado just got KO'd by provo, and provo has already said he will never fight pacquiao because they are friends. For goodness sake man Alvarado was KO'd by rios. Nobody wants that fight.

Face it, the only fight that CAN happen atm is Pac-Bradley 2.

Marquez wants to keep the feeling, and Mayweather fights on showtime. I guarantee pacquiao/bradley 2 is next.

Comment

GoldenBoy & TopRank will make peace

Originally posted by sugarsmosley View Post
      OP, who does TR have at 140 for manny to fight...

Garcia,Khan,Matthysse, and Peterson are all goldenboy fighters. Alvarado just got KO'd by provo, and provo has already said he will never fight pacquiao because they are friends. For goodness sake man Alvarado was KO'd by rios. Nobody wants that fight.

Face it, the only fight that CAN happen atm is Pac-Bradley 2.

Marquez wants to keep the feeling, and Mayweather fights on showtime. I guarantee pacquiao/bradley 2 is next.

For the love of the game, I think that GoldenBoy and TopRank will find a way to bury the hatchet, because these guys are just recycling fights within their own camps. The fans are getting restless and clamoring for better match-ups, and their voices are getting louder.

Comment

Originally posted by balintawak View Post
        For the love of the game, I think that GoldenBoy and TopRank will find a way to bury the hatchet, because these guys are just recycling fights within their own camps. The fans are getting restless and clamoring for better match-ups, and their voices are getting louder.
        hopefully sooner than later, but I don't see it happening in 2014 sadly.If Pacquiao/Mayweather ever happens, it will be there last fight. they are going to milk it to the very last second i think. why have them fight now. they didn't fight in there primes, so may as well just pull a rjj/hopkins 2, and wait until the last second to cash out.

Comment

Other than Ruslan, who won't fight Manny, TR doesn't have any LWWs PPV worthy.

Comment

Manny weighed in at 149 on fight night for a lightweight fight. He weighed in at 151 vs JMM 4....he's not too small for the division...on fight night he weighs more than May did vs Canelo at a 152 catchweight.... So stop with the "He's too small". He's not very tall but hes a heavy structured guy. Appearance isn't everything...he's smaller than most of the 147 lbers but that's what makes him and may being there so impressive. He goes to 140 and he's a bigger guy beating on smaller guys...why? Rios and Broner got slammed for it Pac and Floyd would and should too.

Comment

Your just proving my point

Originally posted by Grimgash View Post
              Manny weighed in at 149 on fight night for a lightweight fight. He weighed in at 151 vs JMM 4....he's not too small for the division...on fight night he weighs more than May did vs Canelo at a 152 catchweight.... So stop with the "He's too small". He's not very tall but hes a heavy structured guy. Appearance isn't everything...he's smaller than most of the 147 lbers but that's what makes him and may being there so impressive. He goes to 140 and he's a bigger guy beating on smaller guys...why? Rios and Broner got slammed for it Pac and Floyd would and should too.
              This is exactly my point. The weight limit for welterweight is 147, but on fight night, Pac was only able to add a few more pounds to reach 149, while Rios was able to add over 8% to his body weight after weigh-in to reach 159. Margarito was able to add another 12% weight and reached 165. Manny seems capable of only adding a maximum of 5%, which means that naturally bigger opponents will outweigh him by 7-15 pounds on fight night!

Comment

Originally posted by balintawak View Post
                This is exactly my point. The weight limit for welterweight is 147, but on fight night, Pac was only able to add a few more pounds to reach 149, while Rios was able to add over 8% to his body weight after weigh-in to reach 159. Margarito was able to add another 12% weight and reached 165. Manny seems capable of only adding a maximum of 5%, which means that naturally bigger opponents will outweigh him by 7-15 pounds on fight night!
                So what's your thoughts on Mayweather? His opponents (Canelo) outweigh him by 7-15 pounds (Canelo's unoffical weight was 165 too) on fight night too...

Comment

glad that the author acknowledges Pac's natural weight, which is about 130-135. Though he's been facing heavier and taller people and still able to dominate them shows how good Pacquiao is.

Now that he has gotten 8 division titles, going back to his stomping ground at 130-135 range, definitely he is a monster there.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
                    So what's your thoughts on Mayweather? His opponents (Canelo) outweigh him by 7-15 pounds (Canelo's unoffical weight was 165 too) on fight night too...
                    Both May and Pac relies on their speed, although more so for Pac because May is more of a defensive counter puncher while Pac jumps in, out and laterally. My point is that Pac is reaching the maximum limits of his weight potential and his real sweet spot is at a lower weight. Perhaps the same can be said for May, which may explain why they are no longer getting their KOs.

Father time will erode both of these fighters abilities, and especially speed. So Pac's main asset will become less and less of a factor.

Comment

Working...
                    X