Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Could Marciano Have Beaten Holyfield?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
    When he got drawn into a brawl (closer to his original style), but we're talking about an older Holyfield boxing as he did against Tyson (likely the proper strategy here anyway). Marciano never stopped throwing, content to hit you anywhere, not just as openings presented themselves. That and possibly a power edge would be Marciano's only advantages in this fight. Although Marciano was better conditioned, I don't think it would be much of a factor unless his output managed to wear Holyfield down by the late rounds.
    what do you mean by better conditioned? I would say he has better stamina, but Holyfield is going to be much stronger and have better armor.

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post
      Yes i have predicted against Rocky, I think he would lose against George Foreman,Sonny Liston and Ali would give him alot of trouble.

But he would do very well against Holy. Evander has never been in the ring with anyone like Rocky, But Rocky has been in the ring with men like Holy, Walcott was Very skillfull,fast and had a better punch then Evander. In a 12 round fight Evander may make it, but in a 15 round fight Rocky would get him. Watch round 12 of Holys fight with Foreman, Holy was Exhausted and was holding on for his LIFE!. Rocky would work him hard, and Holy would tire in a 15 round fight, Rocky is Stronger then Holy. Although Holy is a warrior through and through so is Rocky, Rocky was freakishly fit, he would pound Evander with 100+ punches a round for 15 rounds, If they fought and Evander was as tired with Rocky as he was with Foreman it would be a win for Rock.

People always count out Rocky, I dont understand it.

Rocky stops Evander late, Rounds 14 or 15
      in a 12 round fight Evander May win on Points.

Holy would have to work More with Rocky then he did with Foreman. Thats a big ask, Foreman gave Holy all he could handle.
      Well thats a suprise

Walcott was a defensive counterpuncher, why would you compare him to Holyfield. Holyfield counterpunched and boxed sometimes but often prefered to trade.

Rocky is NOT stronger than Evander. Evander was as strong as a bull, he outmuscled Tyson FFS. Rocky hasnt fought a guy like Evander, Evander is too strong and too good a boxer. Evander has taken it to much bigger and stronger guys than that. Charles and the Joes were great fighters but past it when Rocky fought them.

Evander tired when he fought Foreman because he had to work non stop for 12 rounds against a 250lb guy that can smoke your ass with an arm punch! What tired Evander was the constant moving and changing direction vs george, against a guy like Rocky who wades in, Holy can trade and clinch all night long. Rocky was strong and game, but Evander is too strong and too good.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        what do you mean by better conditioned? I would say he has better stamina, but Holyfield is going to be much stronger and have better armor.
        ...that's what conditioning means, hence the phrase "strength and conditioning" as opposed to just "conditioning".

Comment

Of course Holyfield could outbox Marciano, but when Holyfield got hit hard he brawled, and with a guy like Marciano, or Frazier, thatd be playing right into their hands. If the fight went 15 I could see Marciano taking him out late, but 12 and with the right strategy, he wins on points or stoppage due to cuts.

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
            Well thats a suprise

Walcott was a defensive counterpuncher, why would you compare him to Holyfield. Holyfield counterpunched and boxed sometimes but often prefered to trade.

Rocky is NOT stronger than Evander. Evander was as strong as a bull, he outmuscled Tyson FFS. Rocky hasnt fought a guy like Evander, Evander is too strong and too good a boxer. Evander has taken it to much bigger and stronger guys than that. Charles and the Joes were great fighters but past it when Rocky fought them.

Evander tired when he fought Foreman because he had to work non stop for 12 rounds against a 250lb guy that can smoke your ass with an arm punch! What tired Evander was the constant moving and changing direction vs george, against a guy like Rocky who wades in, Holy can trade and clinch all night long. Rocky was strong and game, but Evander is too strong and too good.

Really? Trade and clinch all night long?? You obviously don't know Marciano, No way in hell will Evander be able to Trade then clinch with Rocky, NO ONE in Rockys whole Career could slow down Rocky , The fact is when Evander was in a tough fight He Brawled, if he Brawls Rocky, he will come off Second Best.

Anyway, we can debate back and forth and we wont get anywhere. Its really amusing to me that The ONLY undefeated HW champion of ALL TIME, seems to have little to no chance against anyone he is matched up against.

So I will finish my comments off with some of the REAL experts opinions on Rockys Strengh and Power.

Joe Louis

"It hurt to bump into him....He hits harder than Max Schmeling...this kid is tough enough to beat anyone."

"The Rock didn't know too much about the boxing book, but it wasn't a book he hit me with. It was a whole library of bone crushers."

Jersey Joe Walcott

"Joe could take you out with combinations...Marciano was a one-punch artist. He threw every punch like you throw a baseball, as hard as he could. I have to say, with all respect to Joe, Marciano hit harder."

Ezzard Charles

"Rocky numbs you all over. Wherever he hits you, he hurts you; on the arms, the shoulders, the neck and the head."

Archie Moore

"After a fight with Marciano, it felt like you had been beat all over the upper body with a blackjack or hit with rocks."

"He could hurt you, sure, but it was the quantity of his punches. He just had more stamina than anyone else in those days. He was like a bull with gloves."

And Here is One Last Quote From Muhammad Ali

When asked who out of ALL the Great heavyweight champions, Who would give him the most trouble, Ali Replied "Rocky Marciano"

Comment

Originally posted by 0Rooster4Life0 View Post
              Really? Trade and clinch all night long?? You obviously don't know Marciano, No way in hell will Evander be able to Trade then clinch with Rocky, NO ONE in Rockys whole Career could slow down Rocky , The fact is when Evander was in a tough fight He Brawled, if he Brawls Rocky, he will come off Second Best.

Anyway, we can debate back and forth and we wont get anywhere. Its really amusing to me that The ONLY undefeated HW champion of ALL TIME, seems to have little to no chance against anyone he is matched up against.

So I will finish my comments off with some of the REAL experts opinions on Rockys Strengh and Power.

Joe Louis

"It hurt to bump into him....He hits harder than Max Schmeling...this kid is tough enough to beat anyone."

"The Rock didn't know too much about the boxing book, but it wasn't a book he hit me with. It was a whole library of bone crushers."

Jersey Joe Walcott

"Joe could take you out with combinations...Marciano was a one-punch artist. He threw every punch like you throw a baseball, as hard as he could. I have to say, with all respect to Joe, Marciano hit harder."

Ezzard Charles

"Rocky numbs you all over. Wherever he hits you, he hurts you; on the arms, the shoulders, the neck and the head."

Archie Moore

"After a fight with Marciano, it felt like you had been beat all over the upper body with a blackjack or hit with rocks."

"He could hurt you, sure, but it was the quantity of his punches. He just had more stamina than anyone else in those days. He was like a bull with gloves."

And Here is One Last Quote From Muhammad Ali

When asked who out of ALL the Great heavyweight champions, Who would give him the most trouble, Ali Replied "Rocky Marciano"
              You are a delusional moron, this isnt a past prime Walcott or Charles Rocky would have to deal with here, it's Holyfield, a man who is superior to him in almost every department. If Holyfield can clinch and muscle around Tyosn, he can do it to Rocky.

Learn about a fighter besides Rocky

Comment

Some good arguments/opinions coming through.. Get the impression, I should of said the Rock who fought Bowe or Quawi, but I wanted to use the example of a powerful bonafied heavy, under 6 ft tall.. I wouldn't say the Holy who fought Bowe wasn't any better than the one that fought Tyson, but that's down to opinion I suppose..
                I'd see it like this.. Real close... A 12 rounder would favor Holy as a 15 would favor Rock, but after doing my studies, can envisage a UD & SD respectively in Holys favour.. My reason being is, if anything, Holy is the only man in history to be a tadge more game than the Rock.. This is a man who was told he had a heart murmor in 1993.. So what does he do? Kicks Mike Tysons arse twice, goes to hell & back with LL, & wins back the HW title another 2 times, with little chance of retirement b4 his 50th birthday, & to be fair, I'd say he's still top 15 as we stand..
                In Rocks case, I feel he faced mainly inferior competition, & got out early with back problems.. This isn't a criticism, just an indication of Holy's lunatic desire, & unbreakable will.. Jeez, he's over 45, & arguably, just outboxed the biggest man (oaf) in history..
                With respect to Rocky, Holyfield's had more wars with more champions, thus achieving more glory.. But, no one can argue wth 49-0, and I'd be inclined to give a DC to Rocky, had this fight happened at cruiser... And I think, had they're been modern trainers & dieticions back in the day, things would favor the Rock quite considerably, but unfortunately, these techniques were unheard of then..

Comment

Some good arguments/opinions coming through.. Get the impression, I should of said the Rock who fought Bowe or Quawi, but I wanted to use the example of a powerful bonafied heavy, under 6 ft tall.. I wouldn't say the Holy who fought Bowe wasn't any better than the one that fought Tyson, but that's down to opinion I suppose..
                  I'd see it like this.. Real close... A 12 rounder would favor Holy as a 15 would favor Rock, but after doing my studies, can envisage a UD & SD respectively in Holys favour.. My reason being is, if anything, Holy is the only man in history to be a tadge more game than the Rock.. This is a man who was told he had a heart murmor in 1993.. So what does he do? Kicks Mike Tysons arse twice, goes to hell & back with LL, & wins back the HW title another 2 times, with little chance of retirement b4 his 50th birthday, & to be fair, I'd say he's still top 15 as we stand..
                  In Rocks case, I feel he faced mainly inferior competition, & got out early with back problems.. This isn't a criticism, just an indication of Holy's lunatic desire, & unbreakable will.. Jeez, he's over 45, & arguably, just outboxed the biggest man (oaf) in history..
                  With respect to Rocky, Holyfield's had more wars with more champions, thus achieving more glory.. But, no one can argue wth 49-0, and I'd be inclined to give a DC to Rocky, had this fight happened at cruiser... And I think, had they're been modern trainers & dieticions back in the day, things would favor the Rock quite considerably, but unfortunately, these techniques were unheard of then..

Comment

Originally posted by KostyaTszyu View Post
                    You are a delusional moron, this isnt a past prime Walcott or Charles Rocky would have to deal with here, it's Holyfield, a man who is superior to him in almost every department. If Holyfield can clinch and muscle around Tyosn, he can do it to Rocky.

Learn about a fighter besides Rocky

Im a dilusional Moron Because i do not agree with you???
                    You obviously have afew issue's , Forums are for discussion, and when you go ahead and insult a person for no reason you either 1 ,have a few loose screws ,2 Cant handle that Your wrong or 3 you have limited Knowledge. and for you to suggest Holy would Trade with Rocky then clinch really tells me its choice No3, Because Trade and clinch is the worst thing you can do to beat Rocky.

When i first saw you on this Forum i respected you and your opinions, But this useless attack on me because I dont agree with you has changed my view on you. Anyway i said i wouldnt post on this thread no more so ill just leave it as that.

Comment

Serisouly now a past prime old age louis would take evander to the end and probably win on points.

Just because rocky was oh so akward dosent mean he didnt have skills it was that awkwardness that was his skill its what allowed him to throw punches that seems to be off balance and stiill take peoples head off punches that you would never think existed logically at angles that you would think were impossiable. just skills the likes of which holyfeild never saw skills holyfield would laugh at till 2 mins in the ring.

Rocky was a late started not sure if he just needed to get warmed up or because the other guys got tired by the 3 round when rocky was still the same but by the 5th round rocky would start to turn the fight around with crowding such that evander wouldnt be able to get a hold of him any more in Clinches as well as being unable to pressure rocky backwards from the 5th on, the fight will change in rockys favor im saying 8th or 9th round ko in rockys favor evander will probaly get rocky with a jab that rocky was expecting, rocky comfortable takes the jab to get on the inside pops back up swinging over hand right into a left upperish punch and evander drops like an anchor.

Comment

Working...
                      X