Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who could beat a prime Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
    Whitaker doesn't have anywhere near enough power to cause the problems that Morales did. Pacquiao has the handspeed advantage and would consistently beat Pernell to the punch when he tried to stay in and counter punch

Worst possible matchup for Whitaker
    your assesments and oppionons on whitaker dont count

Comment

The only fighter I'd favor over a prime Whitaker at Lightweight is Duran. Benny Leonard and Gans are 50/50 fights for Pernell as I see it. Ortiz I'd give a shot while favoring Whitaker. Nobody else comes close.

Poet

Comment

Jan 2 - Happy Birthday "Sweet Pea".

Comment

top 5 lightweight any one in the top five is capable of beating each other maybe as durans body and skill mature after lets say 74 or 75 could that version of duran beat pea consistantly

Comment

Carlos Ortiz and Ken Buchanan could pull it off. Especially Ortiz.

Duran and Benny Leonard would beat Pea imo

Comment

If we could get a time machine and bring back the Old Master Joe Gans I'd love love to see him against a prime Whitaker.

By all accounts he was as skillfull as could be and hit exceedingly hard on top of it. Knew all the tricks in the clinch too. Probably good enough to stay with Pernell in a pure boxing match but if necessary he would be able to maul him on the inside.
              Last edited by ShoulderRoll; 01-03-2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Roberto Duran would be my 1st pick.

Comment

Originally posted by DJ Enerate View Post
                  Carlos Ortiz and Ken Buchanan could pull it off. Especially Ortiz.

Duran and Benny Leonard would beat Pea imo
                  You really think Ken Buchannan would have any chance to beat Whitaker? He didn't have the power to hurt him and his speed was inferior. I can't see where Buchannan gets any edge. Ken was a very good champion. Just not at quite that level.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
                    If we could get a time machine and bring back the Old Master Joe Gans I'd love love to see him against a prime Whitaker.

By all accounts he was as skillfull as could be and hit exceedingly hard on top of it. Knew all the tricks in the clinch too. Probably good enough to stay with Pernell in a pure boxing match but if necessary he would be able to maul him on the inside.
                    Gans was a great fighter...a fighters fighter really as he was well respected by other fighting men of the day. He was indeed able to operate at many ranges and had more varied skills than Whitaker but...a match between them may be a case where because of Sweet peas defensive tactics...even though they are not as far reaching, are enough to neutralize Gans considerable range.

of course Roger Mayweather caught the pea, and Gans was good at psychological warfare, so its also possible Gans could bait Whitaker into an ill fated exchange. It would be a good fight for sure. I have never believed that a well rounded fighter, like Floyd Mayweather, for example, would have any advantage over whitaker because they could do more offensively. Whitaker's defense was so good it created his offense and he was an excellent counter puncher.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                      You really think Ken Buchannan would have any chance to beat Whitaker? He didn't have the power to hurt him and his speed was inferior. I can't see where Buchannan gets any edge. Ken was a very good champion. Just not at quite that level.
                      Ken ranks very highly H2H at lightweight. I think he could maybe beat Pea on his best night. Ken was no slouch in the speed department either and had amazing lateral movement and Jab. His power is actually underrated because he fought guys with granite jaws. He managed to wobble the teak tough Laguna and knocked Duran off balance a few times. He had enough power to get Peas respect. You also have to remember that Pea doesn't have the power to hurt Ken. This would be close and go all the way. If forced to pick I would give it to Pea.

Comment

Working...
                      X