Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holyfield questions Mayweather decisions and praises Pacquiao

Holyfield questions Mayweather decisions and praises Pacquiao

* October 16th, 2010 12:35 pm CT

I recently spoke with the former 4 time heavyweight world champion Evander Holyfield and got his thoughts on Manny Pacquiao's rise to the top. Holyfield makes it very clear to the readers and to this writer that he is not happy with how Mayweather has handled himself, and blames him as the reason for the big fight with Pacquiao not happening.

Holyfield spoke about what he thinks a fighter needs to do in order to be considered an all time great, and one of them is for that fighter to have fought the very best there was to offer. When this writer brought up Manny's name Holyfield cut in, “WOW, yes! Manny Pacquiao.”

Evander really perked up once hearing Manny's name mentioned, “His humility is a great thing, and he fights. He does not complain, and he throws a lot of punches. He comes to fight and you know what you're going to get when you fight Manny Pacquiao.”

Holyfield is very impressed with how Manny conducts himself both inside and outside of the ring, “Manny takes on all comers and in his mind it is simple...you wanto fight? Let's fight! Outside of the ring, he is humble.”

Listen to entire Holyfield interview here

Holyfield talked about Floyd's talents inside of the ring but questions his choice of opponents, “When I look at Floyd, he's a very skillful fighter. As far as skill goes I don't think anyone matches up with him. The sad thing is once you become champion you dictate how much a person weighs? Rules are rules, you can't dictate who takes a steroid test. You don't become the person to dictate that. If the organizations are not made up that way, you don't make the rules.”

Evander also talked about the catchup between Manny and Margarito. He predicts a Pacquiao victory, and explained his reasoning, “People need to understand that Pacquiao throws a lot of punches, he's a busy fighter, and by him being busy and with that good leverage, he hits hard, and by the time his opponent knows it, he is way behind on the scorecards. You can't not want to get hit and throw a lot of punches, and this is the problem for Manny's opponents. Manny will be throwing punches all day and he will want to win this fight.”

Mississippians that I spoke with on Friday chimed in with their thoughts on this fight. I spoke with Trey Sellers of Morton, MS yesterday evening. Trey agreed with Holyfield that Manny is going to be too fast, “Manny will be too fast for Margarito, he's just too fast. I think he will overwhelm him with speed and eventually stop him.”

I also spoke to Gary Cline of Whitfield, MS. Cline also feels that Pacquiao will cruise in this fight, “Too fast and Margarito is too slow. Pacquiao will win this fight convincingly.”

Speaking with Holyfield on this, and hearing him break things down, and hearing his admiration of Manny Pacquiao just reinforces why so many people are Pacquiao fans around the world.

meh im tired of floyd talks. People shouldn't even be speaking of him anymore since he's not relevant to boxing anymore. We all know he won't fight Pac so what's the point?

Comment

dirt headbutting drug taking Evan Fields

Comment

TS has the ugliest chick avatar on all of NSB.

Comment

Originally posted by Dro View Post
          meh im tired of floyd talks. People shouldn't even be speaking of him anymore since he's not relevant to boxing anymore. We all know he won't fight Pac so what's the point?
          once pac/marg is over, and they try a 3RD attempt and it STILL doesnt get done, then yea... it ownt happen EVAR.
          Until floyd is broke again and pac's like 36 years old..
          yknow, what, it would be pretty funny if pac still won against floyd at that age.

Comment

Working...
          X