Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could any current Welterweight go the distance with Sugar Ray Robinson?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you fkn idiots serious... you see this is what i'm talking about how people overrate the skill level of some of these hof fighters... Robinson had "no defense" he never faced someone with the speed of Floyd or Manny, he never faced a accurate counter counter puncher like Floyd, he never faced such a offensive southpaw like Manny... Robinson fought with his hands down, he threw wide, when he threw with one hand the other one was always down, his foot speed wouldn't seem so great against these two guys as well, his hand speed would look **** compared to manny as well.... have you guys even watch Robinson before or you just trying to talk **** to me without knowing **** about Robinson... Floyd, Manny, and Leonard without a doubt would dismantle Sugar Ray Robinson, though Robinson has a punchers chance
    Last edited by Ekscape; 04-28-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by illmaticfighter View Post
      honestly i'll probably suggest sugar ray could stop every fighter from ww to light heavy i admire that man just that much.

floyd is what's now but sugar ray will always be the greatest ever imo no one can compare in my mind.
      I have huge respect for the man, he's my favourite fighter of all time but I don't think he's stop everyone at 168-175.

I think at those weight classes he's chose to box beautifully, I'm not sure he could stop everyone like Hopkins or even guys with granite chins like Andrade. I'm sure he could beat them but by stoppage i'm not so sure.

Comment

I honestly dont think anyone could go the distane with him. Just to much speed power and heart. The only ones i see trying to even trade with him today would be Mosley and Pac.

Comment

Could any current Welterweight go the distance with Sugar Ray Robinson?

Absolutely. Just because he is the consensus greatest fighter of all time doesnt mean he would walk through every fighter of the modern era. Old timers always think the old time fighters would whip today's best. That's ridiculous. Can you imagine Rocky Marciano trying to stand his ground with a 21 yr old Mike Tyson or a 30 yr old Vitali Klitschko? Or Jake LaMotta outpointing Marvelous Marvin Hagler or Roy Jones Jr? Lennox Lewis would destroy guys like George Chuvalo and Joe Bugner. SRR was very great. No doubt about it but he was beatable. He may have beaten SR Leonard, Floyd Mayweather Jr, and Felix Trinidad. But those would not be easy fights by any means.

Comment

Current welterweights? I think there are quite a few that could go the distance with him if it was 12 rounds, less could go the distance if it was 15... I can't think of any of them that could beat SRR, but there are some that could go the distance.

Comment

I respect and admire him. I think p4p he is probably the GOAT but from the footage I've seen I'm not SUPER impressed. I know everyone else is but I'm just not wow'd.

Comment

There's definitley a trend with guys that lasted with Robinson in his WW prime. They were defensive fighters with low knockout percentages who had solid chins.

Izzy Janarrzo 65 Wins (8KO)-45 losses

Sammy Angott 94 (KO 22)- 22

among other similar fighters..

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
                  I have huge respect for the man, he's my favourite fighter of all time but I don't think he's stop everyone at 168-175.

I think at those weight classes he's chose to box beautifully, I'm not sure he could stop everyone like Hopkins or even guys with granite chins like Andrade. I'm sure he could beat them but by stoppage i'm not so sure.
                  i know just nuthugging a bit lol..

i could see robinson losing some rounds to a little younger b-hop just the size plus the awkward style of b-hop it'll take some rounds for him to figure out.

Comment

I think mayweather would....

This isnt pacquiaos division, hes just such a great fighter that he can compete in it.....

So i highly doubt pacquiao could....

Clottey probably could, he wouldnt win a round tho lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ekscape View Post
                      Are you fkn idiots serious... you see this is what i'm talking about how people overrate the skill level of some of these hof fighters... Robinson had "no defense" he never faced someone with the speed of Floyd or Manny, he never faced a accurate counter counter puncher like Floyd, he never faced such a offensive southpaw like Manny... Robinson fought with his hands down, he threw wide, when he threw with one hand the other one was always down, his foot speed wouldn't seem so great against these two guys as well, his hand speed would look **** compared to manny as well.... have you guys even watch Robinson before or you just trying to talk **** to me without knowing **** about Robinson... Floyd, Manny, and Leonard without a doubt would dismantle Sugar Ray Robinson, though Robinson has a punchers chance

Henry Armstrong ring a bell? prolly not...

Comment

Working...
                      X