Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cable, Internet problems?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] Cable, Internet problems?

I've been a Cable technician for 12 years. I've been a cable gypsy. Traveling all over the country working for different cable companies. I've seen it all. If anyone has questions about their service or how to get a better deal, post your questions here. Or if you want my opinion just ask. State your service provider and I'll help if I can.

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
    I've been a Cable technician for 12 years. I've been a cable gypsy. Traveling all over the country working for different cable companies. I've seen it all. If anyone has questions about their service or how to get a better deal, post your questions here. Or if you want my opinion just ask. State your service provider and I'll help if I can.
    Is there any way I can check for Egress in my cable/devices myself? I once had a problem with it because I had a old tv hooked up to cable in a room. The tenth cable guy that came out finely figured it out and I removed the tv.
    Could have it got into the lines and still be there even though it was checked several years ago? I am with Cox(and DTV too).

Comment

Can't find my HD port, please help. (Comcast)

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post

good old days, black boxes hehehehe too many boobi channels.

Comment

With your info & experience who are the best providers to deal with in regards to services, options, quality, prices & customer service? Who's the worst?

Comment

I pay for 50 up/5 down but sometimes I'll do a speedtest and only get 10-20 up.

I'm with TWC. What gives?

I mostly use a Chromebook connected to my router via Wifi if that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              Is there any way I can check for Egress in my cable/devices myself? I once had a problem with it because I had a old tv hooked up to cable in a room. The tenth cable guy that came out finely figured it out and I removed the tv.
              Could have it got into the lines and still be there even though it was checked several years ago? I am with Cox(and DTV too).
              Egress doesn't spread like a virus but lines can develop egress over time or due to a bad connection or fitting or a bad splitter. Are you still having problems? When was the last time you had the line from the pole to your house changed? That's the most important line. If you live in an aerial system a lot of times squirrels will chew on the line at the pole.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                With your info & experience who are the best providers to deal with in regards to services, options, quality, prices & customer service? Who's the worst?
                Customer service is Wide Open West (WOW!). Comcast has the best products, quality, and options. Their products are by far he most advanced. They're coming out with their docsis 3.1 modems this year for faster internet service. The best way to get a deal is to go thru a salesman. If you already have service and a salesman comes to your door take his card just in case. If you call in for service they're going to give you the standard prices.

I can't name the worst

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
                  I pay for 50 up/5 down but sometimes I'll do a speedtest and only get 10-20 up.

I'm with TWC. What gives?

I mostly use a Chromebook connected to my router via Wifi if that matters.
                  Speeds are only guaranteed if the device is connected directly to the modem via ethernet. Does your modem have a built in router or are you using a stand alone router for wifi? Search the login info for you modem/router, it's usually something like 10.0.0.1 or 192.168.0.1. Log into the router settings and switch your wifi channels. Everytime you switch to a different channel check your speed wirelessly until you find one that gives you the best speed. Even though the 50 is only guaranteed directly connected you should still be getting more than 10 wirelessly. While in the router settings disconnect other devices from the wireless network and see if that improves your speed. If you aren't getting 50 while connected directly to the modem/router set up a service call. If you're using a stand alone router you bought they won't guarantee the 50 thru your router.

Comment

Originally posted by PACnPBFsuck View Post

It's underneath the flux capacitor.

Comment

Working...
                    X