Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Barthelemy Decisions Shafikov, Wins IBF World Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barthelemy had the right strategy in dealing with a Pressure Fighter and a fighter who throws a LOT of punches and has Power. Smother his power and get inside with him, don't give him space to get off with his Power. Barthelemy took his punches well because he Smothered his Power.

Had Barthelemy tried to stay outside the entire fight he would have gotten outworked and probably stopped late and his stamina would have gone from not only using footwork but also trying to keep Shafikov off of him and trying to keep up with his crazy workrate.

So Barthelemy showed versatility IMO, people complain about Cuban style and when they do fight on the inside and take some punches and is in a exciting fight people then turn around and still complain

Of course Barthelemy won't fight like this his next fight and it is also a good chance that the next fighter he fights won't apply pressure or have the stamina or work rate that Shafikov does.

Barthelemy clearly learned from the Arash Usmanee fight which I thought he lost or could've been at least a draw. Instead of trying to run away from pressure, it is best to get inside and take that pressure head on! "Good Pipes Don't Break Under Pressure"
    Last edited by sicko; 12-19-2015, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by sicko View Post
      Barthelemy had the right strategy in dealing with a Pressure Fighter and a fighter who throws a long of punches and has Power. Smother his power and get inside with him, don't give him space to get off with his Power. Barthelemy too his punches well because he Smothered his Power.

Had Barthelemy tried to stay outside the entire fight he would have gotten outworked and probably stopped late and his stamina would have gone from not only using footwork but also trying to keep Shafikov off of him and trying ot keep up with his crazy workrate.

So Barthelemy showed versatility IMO, people complain about Cuban style and when they do fight on the inside and take some punches and is in a exciting fight people then turn around and still complain

Of course Barthelemy won't fight like this his next fight and it is also a good chance that the next fighter he fights won't apply pressure or have the stamina or work rate that Shafikov does.

Barthelemy clearly learned from the Arash Usmanee fight which I thought he lost or could've been at least a draw. Instead of trying to run away from pressure, it is best to get inside and take that pressure head on! "Good Pipes Don't Break Under Pressure"
      Good post. Loved the inside work. I would like to see more footwork and head movement though. Change angles and avoid that return fire. He was kind of squared up and stood right in front of Shafikov. But if he can fully develop that inside game he can become a special fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
        I didn't watch the fight live, true... But I managed to watch some on the Youtube -- Barthélemy did mix it up... But the basics of the "Cuban minimalism" were still there, even if he fought head-to-head... ... The guy is pleasure to watch fighting!
        Gamboa is a minimalist?

How about Diobylis Hurtado?

How about you define "minimalist" as it relates to a country? I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.

Comment

• They best part of the night was Walker/Pearson bout solid scrap , good for Walker , never thought that much of Pearson an I chuckled when they said he'd "only" been KD twice in his career like at this point that was a acceptable thing, though I will say he showed a lot of grit , maybe he'll turn out to be entertaining at least.

Seemed like a knee-jerk reaction to stop the CW fight but....

I thought Rances would use more movement w/the advantages but he chose to fight Shafikov's fight and won , really improved since Usmanee fight , he's going to be a tough match-up for a lot of guys at 35-40

Comment

• Rances Barthelemy is gonna be tough to beat.

Comment

... Actually he is 5' 11" / 180cm and in reach he's 73" / 185cm... he may easily fight at the WW, JrMW or even MW (with some additional body building)...
              with those legs I don't see it happening

Comment

Thanks... Does he still work with Rigondeaux?
                no, Rubio is...

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Gamboa is a minimalist?

How about Diobylis Hurtado?

How about you define "minimalist" as it relates to a country? I don't think you understand the meaning of the word.
                  I think guys like Rigo, Lara and Abril have made many fans believe all Cuban fighters box like them. Nothing could be further from the truth. Casamayor was a slick badass. Gamboa was electrifying at his peak (if it's indeed behind him). Hernandez and Perez were warriors. Barthélemy, although capable of being a technician, prefers to do battle. And let's not even get into the Cuban ATGs like Napoles and Gavilán. It's human nature: the many are often judged by the actions of the few.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post

Do you know what Contradanza or Habanera is? That which later produced danzon, mambo and 'cha cha cha'?... and what "Afro-Cuban jazz" is, as well? Did you ever listen to Buena Vista Social Club music, for instance?

... After you get an idea about what I am speaking about, came and discuss "Cuban minimalism" with me...

Comment

• Originally posted by garfios View Post
                      with those legs I don't see it happening
                      I already said above that he would need some bodybuilding...

Comment

Working...
                      X