Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL:How much more appeal do HW'S really have? If Floyd and Pac were Heavyweights??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POLL:How much more appeal do HW'S really have? If Floyd and Pac were Heavyweights??

Just curious as to what the people who been watching boxing a long time (not floyd and pacquaio fans that started in 2005+) think of this subject.

How much appeal do Heavyweights really have to the overall marketability of boxing compare to the lightweights?

If floyd and pacquaio were Heavyweights in today's PPV and Media internet crazy era. How much better and bigger will boxing be.

Will the Klithsckos be huge in America now because of a HW Superstar to fight them?
    Boxing will be as big as it was in the Ali Era. PPV 3-4 million+
    63.64%
    It will be the same. Weight class don't matter in today's era in terms of marketing
    36.36%
    They will actually have LESS appeal
    0.00%

People always say the 'HW DIVISION' is the flag ship

but I'm looking at tv ratings now, and the 'fab four' era actually had higher tv views then the 90's HW dominant era.

Leonard vs Hearns was a bigger fight then any HW fight of the 90's

as was Hagler vs Hearns..

Comment

For most of boxing's heights in popularity, the heavyweights WERE the flagship division.

The most famous names, and most popular for their time are almost all heavyweights. John L Sullivan, Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Muhammad Ali. Even Liston and Patterson

The two main exceptions are of course Sugar Ray Robinson and Leonard, they are anomalies however. Heavyweight has historically been the most popular division.

But even if Floyd and Manny were heavyweights, there wouldn't be a return to Ali's days. Boxing was entrenched in popular culture even before Ali. That is no longer true.
      Last edited by Capaedia; 05-09-2012, 05:51 AM.

Comment

HWs are more appealing but nobody wants to watch boring as HW like Floyd would be if he were a HW IMO. Pac would do 2 mil+ buys each time if he were a HW IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
          People always say the 'HW DIVISION' is the flag ship

but I'm looking at tv ratings now, and the 'fab four' era actually had higher tv views then the 90's HW dominant era.

Leonard vs Hearns was a bigger fight then any HW fight of the 90's

as was Hagler vs Hearns..
          Those fights were on regular hbo though, of course they will get more views than PPV fights

Comment

it wouldnt matter if pac or floyd were heavyweights if they have no-one to fight
            part of the reason why the heavyweight isnt so popular now days is because of the **** competition outside of the klitschko

Comment

Originally posted by TheMexicutioner View Post
              HWs are more appealing but nobody wants to watch boring as HW like Floyd would be if he were a HW IMO. Pac would do 2 mil+ buys each time if he were a HW IMHO.
              I hope you don't hurt yourself when Pac loses to Bradley..... But back on topic i believe the reason is simply a lack of competitive fights. The K. bros are simply to damn big for the rest.

Comment

If Floyd and Pac were HW's, it'd be more popular. I don't think it's so much the Klitschko's, it's the competition since most of the guys from the 90's retired.

Comment

If Floyd in particular were a heavyweight, with his persona, the heavyweight division would be huge. All the Klitschko fans that say they are the greatest heavyweights ever and stuff like that? Double them if Floyd was in their place. If it was Manny, things would be the same, though fights would be much more fun to watch.

If they were together in the division, they would have been forced to fight each other by now, and the heavyweight division would be fantastic.

Comment

I was telling a colleague of mine that there was a big fight coming up on May 5th, and he automatically inquired "a Heavyweight fight?" without having ever cared about boxing ever in his life.

Bigger, Heavier = Better

Comment

Working...
                    X