Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why did 'Prime' Roy Jones Jr avoid the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

This is a honest question. I want honest non bias answers.

Why did a Prime Roy Jones Jr never fight the 6 biggest punchers of his divisions?

They weren't just big punchers. You could make a case that they were 6 of the top 8 guys around Roy's divisions during his era.

Jackson-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Benn-Eubank. From 160-175

I'm serious. Why? Ya. Nobody beats Roy . Yep Yep. He will win every round against these six inferior human beings? Right? Ok. He still didn't fight any one of the six.

Not one.

Once again:

Roy's biggest rivals during his era
    Toney
    Collins
    Nunn
    Jackson
    Mccellan
    Hopkins
    Benn
    Eubank
    Daruiz

He fought 2.
    Yes
    69.23%
    no
    30.77%
    Last edited by Jel; 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM.

He fought Toney who was better than all these guys. Power doesn't mean **** if that's pretty much all you got.

Comment

I voted no.

Would have loved to have seen any of those fights, especially Benn and Eubank ( I'm British).

But you can say that about everyone, there is allways gonna be someone they have missed out.

The man was a frickin beast in his day. No man is unbeatable, but RJJ was as close as you can get.
      Please hang em up Roy. Don't wanna see your name dragged through the dirt, by boxers that wouldnt have been worth a squirt of your pizz back in the day.
      Last edited by casual hero; 11-30-2012, 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        He fought Toney who was better than all these guys. Power doesn't mean **** if that's pretty much all you got.
        Ya because 'power' is all Benn-Eubank-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Jackson got right?

How the **** are you posting such garbage? Every single one of these six guys had great power+boxing skills+speed+heart.
        Last edited by Jel; 11-30-2012, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Voted yes...

Comment

Originally posted by casual hero View Post
            I voted no.

Would have loved to have seen any of those fights, especially Benn and Eubank ( I'm British).

But you can say that about everyone, there is allways gonna be someone they have missed out.

The man was a frickin beast in his day. No man is unbeatable, but RJJ was as close as you can get.
            Please hang em up Roy. Don't wanna see your name dragged through the dirt, by boxers that wouldnt have been worth a squirt of your pizz back in the day.
            People always miss out on certain fighters. Roy missed out on ALL the fighters outside of a Green Hopkins and Toney. I give him Toney, but saying 'well because he fought TOney that= he beat everyone 'you think' is better than Toney is utterly ******ed.

The triangle theory never work in boxing. Toney had a granite chin, that was his fail safe in any h2h scenario. Roy have a weak chin, who's to say he can dance and mock Benn the same way he mocked Richard Hall?
            Who's to say Roy can avoid the big shots from the likes of Nunn the same way he messed with Vinny?

Comment

Originally posted by Jel View Post
              Ya because 'power' is all Benn-Eubank-Mccellan-Daruiz-Nunn-Jackson got right?

How the **** are you posting such garbage? Every single one of these six guys had great power+boxing skills+speed+heart.
              I wasn't talking about these guys specifically, I was just addressing your logic that if a guy is a big puncher that means he's tougher competition than a guy with less power. You're the one who emphasizes power over all the other aspects of the fight game which is utterly stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
                I wasn't talking about these guys specifically, I was just addressing your logic that if a guy is a big puncher that means he's tougher competition than a guy with less power. You're the one who emphasizes power over all the other aspects of the fight game which is utterly stupid.
                Well.. I'm talking about the six guys who had the 'trump' card to beat Roy Jones. The best version of him from 160-175.

They were all very good fighters with that one edge which none of Roy's opponents had: Real one punch knockout power.

All their other qualities were top level but still a level beneath Roy's. Their one edge that could have changed a fight against Roy Jones was their respectable powers.

Nigel Benn landing one of his famous combinations ending in that KO punch which send Mccellan reeling numerous times would have a good shot at hurting Roy.

Daruiz , Jackson with his abilities to change a fight in a split second due to that surreal KO specialty of his. Eubank, Mccellan. They all had it. We have never seen how Roy would have reacted in his prime if he was hurt by someone with true killer instinct. Why?
                Because he didn't fight the 6 guys with that killer instinct which were always hovering around his weight classes.

Comment

Nah Prime Roy would have completely outboxed Benn. Even Benn knows this.

Comment

Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
                    Nah Prime Roy would have completely outboxed Benn. Even Benn knows this.
                    Fair enough. Can he duplicate that 5 more times ? Against elite versions of Nunn-Eubank-Daruiz-Jackson-Mccellan?

Oh I forgot.. Roy is the greatest 'would have' fighter in the history of boxing other than Vitali.

Vitali WOULD have beaten Lewis if the fight had continued
                    Vitali WOULD have beaten Rahman if they fought.
                    Vitali WOULD have dominated any era.

Roy WOULD have beaten Benn if they fought
                    Roy WOULD have beaten Nunn.

Tell you what. Roy WOULD have gotten caught at least once if he fought even half of that list. How Roy WOULD have reacted? We just don't know.

Comment

Working...
                    X